Consolidation and stabilization

i will have my dinner before 6pm :D

I always make my own bread (in a machine usually) have done so for over 10 years now. Still buy the odd Pitta, Naan, wrap etc but certainly not sliced bread! I should add that I am German (but been here 20++ years) so my idea of proper bread differs somewhat from what you get by default in the UK (I know it's getting better if you're prepared to pay a premium). And sorry Jo, 'Pain complet' is not it either ;). At least not the Pain complet I get in a bakery in Brussels (my parents live there). I need proper Graubrot, Schwarzbrot, Roggenbrot. Dense bricks :). In any case 40gr is not exactly going to be much! I just cut a 'medium' slice of the 50% Wholemeal with linseed I have sitting in the cupboard - it weighs 76gr!! So a 100% wholemeal and Rye will be denser and weigh even more :(

So yes, I'm still making bread for the family but I don't get to have any :cry:. At least I will be able to control what's *in* my bread if I ever get to have some on reaching conso!

I have also got a recipe here for making 6 portions (6 days) of 'Dukan bread' (from oatbran, wheatbran, eggs as usual!) in the machine, but not been brave enough to try. If it works I'll let you know.

said on the back of Anja's post - rye bread... german dark heavy bread...not like english sliced white at all!

I always make my own bread (in a machine usually) have done so for over 10 years now. Still buy the odd Pitta, Naan, wrap etc but certainly not sliced bread! I should add that I am German (but been here 20++ years) so my idea of proper bread differs somewhat from what you get by default in the UK (I know it's getting better if you're prepared to pay a premium). And sorry Jo, 'Pain complet' is not it either ;). At least not the Pain complet I get in a bakery in Brussels (my parents live there). I need proper Graubrot, Schwarzbrot, Roggenbrot. Dense bricks :). In any case 40gr is not exactly going to be much! I just cut a 'medium' slice of the 50% Wholemeal with linseed I have sitting in the cupboard - it weighs 76gr!! So a 100% wholemeal and Rye will be denser and weigh even more :(

So yes, I'm still making bread for the family but I don't get to have any :cry:. At least I will be able to control what's *in* my bread if I ever get to have some on reaching conso!

I have also got a recipe here for making 6 portions (6 days) of 'Dukan bread' (from oatbran, wheatbran, eggs as usual!) in the machine, but not been brave enough to try. If it works I'll let you know.

Gosh Anja - I'd never have picked up that you're not a native English speaker! (I've lived in France 20++ years, but still make mistakes!!)...

I must admit that German bread yes is a little errr "dense" <she says diplomatically>.

I'm really NOT a fan of "pain complet" at all, which is why it's a good one for me not to OD on (as I really do prefer white bread!! but PROPER baker's white bread with crusty crusts!).

As you say, 40g really isn't a lot... certainly not to count on for one's breakfast...

Six portions of Dukan bread... count me in for one please! We can be your official tasters!

what is pain complet?
the dukan bread is lush, well mine is :D

It's translated as wholemeal but as there are bakers galore here, it's more typical to buy bread at a baker's than it is in the UK...

It's a lot heavier than the supermarket variety of wholemeal (which exists here too of course).

In Conso last time, my other half always had 2 x BIG slices of Harry's wholemeal bread here - a U.S. "plastic" wholemeal bread with "sugar" in its ingredients... pappy stuff that sticks to the roof of your mouth! As a fan of English supermarket sliced white bread, he refused to eat the "proper" wholemeal.

would the fresh baked style ones you get at larger supermarkets in-store bakery be good enough if they were classed as wholemeal?

dont know? depends if they add sugar x

are we only allowed sugar-free bread then? but I thought sugar had to be used in the yeast/rising process....hmm

Interesting question and point. He doesn't mention sugar of course but on the official French site he advised buying in a baker's... but, of course, here in France they're everywhere... and it's very common to buy one's daily bread ... daily!

Back