constipation advice

margarino

Chronic dieter!!!
I don't usually announce to the world that i'm having toilet issues so am slighty embarrassed but here goes. So I haven't been now for 3 days and before, because I was taking alli I was going every day, sometimes more than once. So, does anyone know if it is advisable to take alli (i wouldn't take more than one a day) whilst doing atkins? it sounds wrong because fat is part of the diet.... any other suggestions? I also used to have dried fruit but that is obviously out!

Hi margarino

Go to the supermarket and buy a box of Dulcolax. I find 2 at night (occassionally) does the trick.

Not a good idea to take Alli while following Atkins it would defeat the object of what you are doing. (IMHO)
Good luck :)

Hi
I used to be on Xenical and I'd say a big no way to using these with what is a high fat diet otherwise you'll have what looks like tango coming out of you!
My advice is loads of water as much as you can throughout the day. Try some flax meal too, that's good for constipation. Definately also don't forget your veggies, spring greens etc
You should be moving in no time

Hi,

I have always had a problem with constipation and for the past 4 months I have only been going about once a week - and that was only when I took a laxative. I eat loads of veg and drinks at least 4 litres of water a day, but still nothing. I was taking dulcolax and would advise AGAINST it. It worked at first, but after a while becomes less affected. Plus I was told by the doctor how bad it was for me after ending up in hospital from it. It works in a very unnatural way and squeezes the gut rather than letting it work on it's own. I have now been prescribed Movicol which is safe to take every day and works amazing and so much healthier. If it is a real problem, you should visit your doctor. Dulcolax is really bad...and I used to take it weekly!

Marg, you've been outed. LOL, we talk about all sorts on here. :) I always used flaxmeal, just a teaspoon full in most meals on induction. Don't need it now I'm in maint

Hi i would recommend a half to one mim a day
A) they are delicious:)
b) they should sort you out :)

Interestingly now i have been on atkins 4 months my system is very happy so dont need anything except plenty of veg and water - and that is still induction eating

Senokot, followed by a mim, followed by lots of green leafy veg, mim, green leafy veg, mim....

.... and keep glugging the water.

Or you could just eat a bar or two of thorntons diabetic chocolate! lol!

Mim is Muffin in a minute, check the stickies, lots of good stuff there.
Nooooooooooo no chocolate!
... but a teaspoon of cocoa powder added to mim mixture makes a yummy chocolate mim - and it IS allowed! (not sure about induction though? - someone else will come along and know the answer to this I'm sure.)

Well, Thorntons diabetic chocolate is "technically" allowed! However, I honestly wouldnt eat more than one truffle, or one square of chocolate. Trust me!

Thanks everyone, think i will avoid the "chocolate" (a bit of a chocoholic, gave it up between June 2010 - Feb 2011, but have been madly eating it since, hence why i am here!!), but will look for the mims :)

Well, Thorntons diabetic chocolate is "technically" allowed! However, I honestly wouldnt eat more than one truffle, or one square of chocolate. Trust me!

Is it really? :D That's good to know - I always head for the chocolate mim when I need my chocolate fix, but its interesting to know there's another option. Will check out the Thorntons shop when I go to Holland & Barratt to stock up on my flaxseed this week.

It's not reaaaally technically allowed. It depends what version of Atkins you want to go by. Dr Atkins was very against polyols - the type of sweeteners used in diabetic chocolate. They can stall you and also give you the runs and in general are just not very healthy things.

However the official Atkins bars they do also have polyols in (though not as many as in the thorntons stuff) so the company endorses them to a degree.

I think it's sort of like the few other things that were originally forbidden in induction but now are allowed in moderation. Your loss is likely to be better if you can avoid them, but in desperate moments they're better than real chocolate as at least you'll stay in ketosis.

I had thorntons diabetic chocs during my totm early on on the diet. Stalled for a week and had so much tummy pain I never had them again.

I tried some diabetic no sugar added chocolate today and gosh...I am just thankful I made it home in time. I was glued to the lav!

Kieran

I tried some diabetic no sugar added chocolate today and gosh...I am just thankful I made it home in time. I was glued to the lav!

Kieran

lol! I'm on my totm so I've had 4 squares of diabetic milk chocolate and a chocolate chip atkins bar... My stomach hasnt realized yet, but its the only thing thats keeping me away from the drawer full of chocolate biscuits in the kitchen!

Back