Contraceptive implant

Starlight

Gold Member
I'm seeing my doctor on Monday to see what my options are but I'm not sure about going on the pill

I'm thinking an implant might be the way to go. Just wondered if anyone had experience of it. Was it easy to get fitted are you aware of it once it's there. General pros/cons I guess. Not sure if it's something the doc would do there and then or not

Couldn't think where else to ask but I figure red someone here would know and wouldnt mind a non SWer asking a question. I know almost anything is askable on here :)

Last edited:
Hi hun, I had the implant fitted a year ago as it was my only option really, they didn't want to give me the pill because I would need to take 2 (due to my size at the time) and they didn't think it was safe. My periods are messed up and I have to take a weak dose of the pill to control them. My friend has it fitted and her periods have completely stopped and she thinks it's great, I guess it's different for everyone. I would recommend getting it and seeing how it goes! xx

Thanks :) I dont fancy the pill, plus they may not give it to me at the moment, but to be honest Im the worlds worst for remembering to take tablets. The thought of actually getting the thing implanted gives me the heebie jeebies but at the moment it looks the best option. This is a whole new world for me lol Which actually makes me sound a bit sad ;) But previous partners have been 'taken care' of in that respect so its never been an issue Ive had to think about but now it is and at 43 I sure as hell am not taking any chances of any accidents!!

Hi i've been on th pill summit 30 since I was about 14 then got th implant they make an appointment and you pick it up from a chemist before going ya get a needle to numb the area then they pop it in th injection for th actual implant reminded me of a straw off a capri sun drink lol I got quite a bit of bruising but apart from that it was fine you can feel it but its not visible if ya ever cant feel it go to doc asap some people swear by it however I had a nightmare I was on my period th whole time apart from a few days off here and there I kept it in for 13 months but th last 4-6 months I was on th pill as well to see if is would calm things down it didn't work lol getting it out really hurt felt like a strong nipping had 5 sterile strips which caused my arm to come out in a rash so not a great experience hope that helps xx

Pipaluk said:
Hi hun, I had the implant fitted a year ago as it was my only option really, they didn't want to give me the pill because I would need to take 2 (due to my size at the time) and they didn't think it was safe. My periods are messed up and I have to take a weak dose of the pill to control them. My friend has it fitted and her periods have completely stopped and she thinks it's great, I guess it's different for everyone. I would recommend getting it and seeing how it goes! xx

I would try it as it affects people in different ways ya may be one of the lucky ones! :)

Personally I've never tried the implant, but the thought of that or the coil (something actually in me) sort of freaks me out.

I have the depo injections every 3 months, they're great I bled on and off for a couple of months when I first started on it, but I don't have periods at all now. Been on it coming up 3 years, so in a year or so I might have to consider something else :( not looking forward to that as I don't know if I trust the pill, but like I said the implant and coil freak me out :/

I've had the implant since they were first introduced into this country, then you had 5 rods inserted.

I've never looked back, it's brill, I never have to think about contraception, my periods have practically stopped, I just have a little bleed every few months. My daughter now has the implant & she is the same - no periods.

You here lots of people saying they put on weight, but I haven't, I've no mood swings, no pmt, no more kids:D It just gives you peace of mind, especially at your age, I'm 46 & would not wish to have another child!

As an alternative I cannot praise the Mirena Coil enough

Mirena IUS: Is the Mirena for You?

I am aware there are side effects but I can say I've never experienced them and neither have the friends who also had the coil fitted.

It is supposed to offer more effective protection than the pill - upside being you can't forget to take it once it's implanted and if you are sick or have a tummy big or even on antibiotics it remains effective as a contraceptive unlike the pill.

I had mine fitted for heavy periods in 2003 and I have to say (touches wood) after slowly lessening periods over 2-3 months I have not had a period since 2003. :D It's brilliant - there were days I was wary about leaving the house! My mum and her mum both had a hysterectomy in their mid 40's after years of heavy periods. I couldn't afford to go down that road.

It's contraceptive effectiveness lasts for about 5 years. I've had mine for 9 years now but it's primary purpose is to control heavy periods not contraception.

Definitely looking like implant is my first choice

Really put off by the coil. My best pal has one and they couldn't get it out. GP failed. Gyny at hops failed and she ended up having to get it removed under general anaesthetic.

Thanks for the input so far. It's much nicer getting first hand experience than just googling

It's all down to what we know isn't it? My experience of the Mirena coil and those of my friends has all been positive. But one bad tale and that is enough to make you very wary.

Hi i've been on th pill summit 30 since I was about 14 then got th implant they make an appointment and you pick it up from a chemist before going ya get a needle to numb the area then they pop it in th injection for th actual implant reminded me of a straw off a capri sun drink lol I got quite a bit of bruising but apart from that it was fine you can feel it but its not visible if ya ever cant feel it go to doc asap some people swear by it however I had a nightmare I was on my period th whole time apart from a few days off here and there I kept it in for 13 months but th last 4-6 months I was on th pill as well to see if is would calm things down it didn't work lol getting it out really hurt felt like a strong nipping had 5 sterile strips which caused my arm to come out in a rash so not a great experience hope that helps xx

same for me....except it didnt hurt having it taken out! im back on the pill now!

I had the implant put in just after Xmas and apart from a 3 week period I had a few weeks ago my periods have stopped altogether. I had it as I was on the pill but was useless at remembering to take it. You go for consultation and then they will make you an appointment for around the time your next period is due and will fit it then, it doesn't hurt at the time but mine was very bruised and sore for a few days after. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is having it taken back out again as I've heard that's not so nice! HTH!

I had the implant in August last year and I absolutely swear by it. Getting it fitted doesn't hurt at all as they numb it first and then insert the implant. Its really weird it being in there, you can feel it under your skin. As other people have said it does bruise and mine also itched for the first month or so after having it in.

I'm one of the lucky ones, since I had it fitted I've had one extremely light bleed.

I have had two implant's.

I would recommend them. They have far less side effect for me. No mood swings, less spots, no painful heavy periods, don't have to remember to take anything. Cant be effected by sickness or antibiotics.
The only thing is mine gave me strange pregnancy symptoms when it was getting near to removal time, and I suffered from some large irregular bleeds. This freaked me out a bit. Most of the time they were great.
Fertility should return to normal straight after it's removal, this was true for me.

Another vote for the mirena coil here (even though I know you don't like it!). I can't take the combined pill due to high blood pressure but I can have this or the mini pill.

No periods, just the normal symptoms and no worries - apparently it's about as effective as sterilisation (amazing!)

I was a bit put off by the implant as I'm petrified of needles, so went for the coil.

I've had an implant for 2.5 years now and agree with everyone else :) i haven't regretted it! I've had no problems, had a couple of periods that have lasted over a week but then nothing for months and months between. I had first consultation & was made to take the pill for a month then they fitted it in a 10 minute appointment a month later. You can feel it under skin but definitely isn't uncomfortable. When mine is ready for taking out in oct I'll be having another fitted at the same time.

I had it done few years back, regretted it and glad it is out. It made me starving all the time but at the time I wasen't on a diet so if I was I porbably could of just bulked up on free food. But also hated any hormone treatment as nothing works and makes me really hormone. I am fine with my period I know what is what each month and for sex I just use a johnny :giggle:

I am on my second implant so have had one for four years. I love it, my periods have stopped altogther. If you have ever been on the mini pill, as it is the same hormones, you react in the same way to both. I had to make an appointment as it needs a nurse and a doctor to have one put in. They give you a small injection of local anisthetic, and you can't feel it when they put it in or check it out. My arm felt a little tender for a day or so. My other friends also like it.

I think the main think that convinced me was not having to remember to take something and also if you have a bad reaction they can take it straight out, however with injection, once its in its there for 12 weeks.

Good luck with making your decision xxx

I also love the implant. Ive had it fitted for a year now and no problems at all. I didnt find it uncomfortable getting it put in and i had the tiniest bruise after. My first period came about 6 weeks after having it fitted and lasted about 6 weeks, but it was more slight staining and just annoying more than anything. Since 2nd July last year ive only had a slight period once and only for a few days. My 15 yr old daughter has just had it fitted a few weeks ago, she got a larger bruise , but wasnt bothered. She was on the patch before that and i have peace of mind for the next 3 years. I wont be hesitating to put my youngest on this when the time comes.

Back