Controlling reactions???

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by AlexIce, 2 November 2010 Social URL.

1. AlexIce

AlexIce Silver Member

Start Weight:
    160kg
    Current Weight:
    147kg
    Goal Weight:
    100kg
    Lost(%):
    13kg(8.11%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Well - I have taken the plunge and started CD again. I am excited and looking forward to getting on with it and seeing the weight disappear.
    I have a question though - how do I learn to control my reactions?
    I lost 6 stones last year on CD - it was wonderful - then I got annoyed with my ex bf and started comfort eating - and ate for months!
    There is a saying that you cant control what other people do but you CAN control your own reaction to it.
    My reaction is to turn to food and I need to learn how to change that. I suppose that being aware of it is the first step but does anyone have any advice about how to stop myself!

Hope everyone has a good day on CD - day ONE for me and I can't wait to get weighed next week!

Jill

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Tinley

Tinley Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    12st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(6.63%)
    Diet:
    CD
    I wish I had some magic words of advice for you, Jill, but I'm afraid I don't otherwise I wouldn't be here.......again!! I did just read something on here that made me think - it was something like "Only you have control of what goes in your mouth." I thought how right that was, and that if I allow my emotions about someone else to make me stuff my face then that is handing that control over to them. I'll see if I still think that way next time I feel the urge to comfort myself with food.....

Good luck with your restart x

4. Less Rotund One

Less Rotund One Gold Member

Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Diet:
    CD
    Jill, I think if I had the answer to that one I would be a millionaire!!

I think a lot of us reach for "bad" foods - usually sugary or fatty when times are tough cos they do make us feel better - that sugar rush feels nice for about a minute....and then we feel lousy for giving in yet again.

I suppose not having anything that you can splurge on in the house is a start - but if you have other people there, they might not be too happy if you clear the whole house of anything tasty ;)

I think for me, it goes back to "rewarding" myself when something bad happens - I deserve to feel better, I deserve to have something nice to eat because of x,y,z...maybe from when we are kids and we get a treat when bad things happen - like going to the doctor, or falling over etc etc - its then associated with making us feel better - when we know it doesn't (not in the long run anyhow)

I have just been through that cycle (yet again!!!) having lost a lot of weight and just promptly put most of it back on over the course of about 6 months because I was feeling lousy.

What I now know is that having nothing that fits me, feeling uncomfortable and annoyed with myself is a lot worse and lasts longer than the brief "happiness" that Cadbury's chocolate eclairs give me.:(

Good luck with it - and if you find the answer - then make sure you post it!

Rosie xx

5. NewLife4Me

NewLife4Me Full Member

Best of Luck Jill!! Here's to a fabbbb week!

6. AlexIce

AlexIce Silver Member

Start Weight:
    160kg
    Current Weight:
    147kg
    Goal Weight:
    100kg
    Lost(%):
    13kg(8.11%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Tinley, Rosie, Barbara - thank you!

I'm sure it's going to be a good first week and the results of the first week will keep me going to the second :)

Good luck to you all too :)

7. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(17.5%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Hi Jill

My CDC is a qualified addictions counsellor and has been "counselling" me about using food as a "mind altering" substance... i.e to deal with emotion. If you search for posts under my name there is one about emotional eating with a document attached that gives you some information that you should find helpful. All the research shows that behaviour modificaiton (via self help and/or formal therapy) is the best way to stay slim with a VLCD.

www.thedietguy.co.uk is also an excellent resource.

Good luck!

AlexIce likes this.
  8. onlyme!

onlyme! is a naughty girl...

Diet:
    CD
    Hello Alex. I am back again too! I get weighed in tonight...ARGH I am scared at how bad it could be ;) That said I am not getting any fatter. I promised myself I wouldnt be one of the people that returns but at least I am returning....my fave quote...calm waters don't make good sailers. I am sure you can attach that quote to anything!

Hope you do well, lets cheer each other on :D xxx

AlexIce likes this.
  9. AlexIce

AlexIce Silver Member

Start Weight:
    160kg
    Current Weight:
    147kg
    Goal Weight:
    100kg
    Lost(%):
    13kg(8.11%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Hi !!!! I'm glad you're here!!! Good to see you again!
    lol - there seem to be a lot of us back from last year - but hey - it's a learning process. We know it works and we know the pitfalls so this time we will shine!

10. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(17.5%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
  11. AlexIce

AlexIce Silver Member

Start Weight:
    160kg
    Current Weight:
    147kg
    Goal Weight:
    100kg
    Lost(%):
    13kg(8.11%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    GoreyGirl - thanks - I have looked through and done the questionnaires.

I am pleased with myself having got through day one although I haven't had as much water as I should. Tomorrow I will deal with upping the water intake.

12. *Shanny*

*Shanny* Gold Member

Helllooooooooo Alex nice to see you here hun.x

13. charley24

charley24 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    17st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Hi Alex, wanted to say good luck ! I am on restart too!!!!!!!!

14. AlexIce

AlexIce Silver Member

Start Weight:
    160kg
    Current Weight:
    147kg
    Goal Weight:
    100kg
    Lost(%):
    13kg(8.11%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Thanks Charley :) Good luck to you too! You seem to have got off to a good start!

15. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Gold Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(17.5%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet

You're welcome.

You might find www.livinglifetothefull.com interesting too.

I make all my shakes up to nearly 600mls which gives me an extra 3/4 litres of water that way.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.