Cooked beetroot

lkic

I bought some beetroot the other day, not the pickled variety but the cooked variety but now I have it I'm not sure what to do with it. I am having salmon tonight with new potatoes and a salad and wondered if anyone had a creative recipe to use it up.

How about borscht, which is a beetroot soup, to start? Or a beetroot salsa made from beetroot, diced red onion, diced eating apple, lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, cumi seets and roughly chopped coriander? A lot of fish recipes are served with a beetroot salsa :)

The good food site has a salsa made in the following way: Put the diced cooked beetroot into a bowl. Add the chopped spring onions, seeded and chopped red chilli, chopped fresh mint, lemon juice and olive oil. Season and stir well.

Here's a recipe for a warm beetroot salsa, although I'm sure you could probably have it cold if you wanted :)

For the warm salsa
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Bunch of spring onions, trimmed and diagonally sliced
  • 250g (about 4) vacuum-packed cooked beetroot, cut into rough chunks
  • 2 large tomatoes, cut into rough chunks
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • Handful chopped fresh curly parsley
[h=3]Method[/h]
  • 1. First, make the salsa. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the spring onions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beetroot and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, until they are hot and the juices have just started running. Stir in the lime juice and parsley, then season to taste.

How boring am I, I would just roast it:)

there is a choc cake recipe with beets in it the beetroot goes all sticky and dark its in my cook yourself thin cook book but i bet if you google you will find it

Back