Cooking experts help required! - Dhal with lemon and saffron spiced rice

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Hi guys

I got this recipe from Sophie Dahl's cooking show, can't stand her but the bf has a crush I think! Anyway I adapted the recipe so that it's SW friendly and I'm going to try it next weekend. Has anyone else tried this? Do you think the SW version will work? Have I synned it properly?! Also, the recipe asks you to make your own garam masala, could you just use the stuff out the jar? :D here's the original recipe! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sophiesdhalwithlemon_93682

And here's the SW version - not much different really

Thanks in advance :) xxx

For the garam masala

1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
4-5 whole cloves
1 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp ground cinnamon
4-5 cardamom pods, seeds only
½ tsp turmeric

For the sweet potatoes

Frylight (was Sunflower oil)
2 sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, peeled, sliced
1 red chilli, seeds removed, sliced
5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
3 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced

For the rice

300g/10½oz basmati rice, rinsed
455ml/16fl oz cold water
1 ½ tbsp Flora extra light (2 syns) (was butter)
Pinch saffron strands
5 cardamom pods
1-2 cinnamon sticks
1-2 star anise
Sea salt, to taste
1 lemon, zest only, juice of ½

For the dhal

500g/1lb 2oz red lentils
Pinch turmeric
Pinch asafoetida
2 bay leaves
2 large handfuls spinach

To serve

Small bunch fresh coriander, leaves only, chopped

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

2. For the garam masala, place all the ingredients in a pestle and mortar and grind to a powder.

3. For the sweet potatoes, place the sweet potatoes into a large pan of water, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly softened, then drain.

4. Spray a roasting dish with frylight, season the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 18 - 20 mins, remove and set aside.

5. Spray a frying pan with frylight and gently fry the onions with 2 teaspoons of the garam masala for 5-6 minutes to soften. Add the chilli, ginger and garlic and fry for a further 2-3 minutes

6. Add the roasted sweet potatoes to the pan, turning them to coat in the spices. Keep warm.

7. Meanwhile, for the rice, place the rice and water in a large saucepan, and add the Flora, saffron, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise.

8. Bring to a rolling boil, then turn the heat to its lowest setting and cover with a lid. Cook gently for 8-10 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed, then season, to taste, with salt, and stir in the lemon zest and juice.

9. For the dhal, place the lentils in a saucepan with 1.5 litres/2½ pints water and bring to a simmer. Add the turmeric, asafoetida and bay leaves, and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Stir in the spinach.

10. To serve, divide the dhal into 4 serving bowls, followed by the sweet potato mixture and chopped coriander. Divide the rice into another 4 bowls and serve alongside.

Hi evilpenguin

Using garam masala from a jar would be fine. Sounds like a really good recipe - I'll definately try the rice.

I made a lentil dhal last week - have posted the recipe in the recipe section. I combined a couple of recipes and it turned out absolutely delicious.

If you make it, make sure you let us know what it was like
x

To be honest I would probably just leave out the flora. It won't melt in the same way that butter would and I doubt you'll notice the difference. If you really wanted to you could add it when the rice is cooked for a 'buttery' taste

Thanks for the tips!

Sarah I'm just off to look for your recipe! :)

Back