Coping with other peoples reactions to VLCDs

fairydust81

Just wondered how others have found friends/colleagues when they hear about the CD, especially the SS/SS+?

Everyone at work thinks I'm crazy for doing the SS plan and think its madness having so few calories a day, we're all scientists and despite me trying to explain how it works I get the shock looks and the "I can't believe you're doing it" speeches......

Then I get the "if you lose weight quickly it goes back on quickly" speeches too

How has everyone else coped with this?

Hi,
I get this all the time! I'm a nurse so you can imagine the lectures I get from my colleagues. I am doing the 810 plan.
I explain to them about how nutritionally balanced it is, juls low fat, carbs and calories. What I've done is track what I'm having with myfitnesspal, and it shows the % of vitamin A, C, iron etc. I'm always over 100%! I think from an outsider it does seem drastic, but as long as you are feeling well on this plan, that's all that matters. X

Such a good post.. :)
I've lost 4 stone in 15 weeks, at first i decided to keep this a secret and just let people be shocked when they saw me out & about,
but once i started losing it quicker that i expected a part of me wanted to brag to people at how well i'm doing..
so i told friends etc. Alot of people are like 'wow thats worrying as you don't eat' nobody fully understands that all the nutrients i need are in the shakes!
I'm so glad i don't live with my mum anymore as she worries as well as i'm not eating solid foods, although i feel better than i ever have!!

i get annoyed with the comments too so i got to the stage where i chose very carefully about who i told about the diet because i got fed up of hearing the crap people spout. the way i see it, its not so much how you get the weight off, its how you keep it off and ive followed enough diets over the years, and lost weight, to know that if you resort to bad eating habits after weight loss it'll go back on. if you stick to healthy eating and exercise, you will keep it off. yes it may be a struggle but thats the way to do it so the way to shut the doubters up is to carefully maintain when you get to goal!

everyone's doing really well on here so stick to your guns!

All my friends are being really negative about it! Its doing my head in! Only my Mum seems to be on board, she understands how important it is for me to lose this weight and says as long as it isnt going to make me ill etc then go for it!xx

I googled cd today and found an article in the daily mirror about obesity and that vlcd diets such as cd are shown to be effective for obese people and that a study showed that they were less likely to put weight back on than people on other diets. Hurray - finally some good press! Tell that to the cd bashers!

As long as I'm losing weight and happy and healthy I couldn't give a HOOF what other people say, although to make things easier I've not told any colleagues and will only answer direct questions!!!!
I've found the hardest part explaining to my 8 and 4 year old girls why I'm not eating. I have to set a good example and feed them healthily. It's tough!

Week 1, -7lb | Week 2, - 2lb (different scales, new CDC) | Week 3, -4lb

kellmo said:
As long as I'm losing weight and happy and healthy I couldn't give a HOOF what other people say, although to make things easier I've not told any colleagues and will only answer direct questions!!!!
I've found the hardest part explaining to my 8 and 4 year old girls why I'm not eating. I have to set a good example and feed them healthily. It's tough!

I've found it hard when my 8yr old daughter is asking why I'm allowed milkshake for my tea but she has to have a proper meal......she understands why I'm doing this and keeps telling me I don't need to lose weight so I just keep telling her I want to look my best for our holiday :)

Good idea, I told mine it's what's healthy for me right now but it won't be forever. I've explained healthy foods are different foods for mummy's and children (bread, pasta etc) you know the speech!!!

They're envious I have milkshake too when I could devour their toast!

Just wondered how others have found friends/colleagues when they hear about the CD, especially the SS/SS+?

Everyone at work thinks I'm crazy for doing the SS plan and think its madness having so few calories a day, we're all scientists and despite me trying to explain how it works I get the shock looks and the "I can't believe you're doing it" speeches......

Then I get the "if you lose weight quickly it goes back on quickly" speeches too

How has everyone else coped with this?

I haven't told anyone except my Mum that I'm following this diet. I didn't want the negativity I imagined I would get from people. I also think that a lot of people are jealous and because they would never have the willpower to do it, the only way they can cope with it is to be negative about it.

At the end of the day, it's up to you how you lose weight so my advice is don't listen to the bad comments!

Good luck x

My family know about this and they aren't too bothered. At work a couple of people know because they asked, but I'd rather avoid the subject and either say I'm on a low carb diet or I'm not hungry that's why I'm not eating! I've heard people talking about this sort of diet at work before and they have been very negative so I just avoid the confrontation!!

My mum has started it as she is so impressed with my losses. Everyone at work has been really supportive they always ask me first thing Wednesday morning about my weigh in too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

I have found that the only negative comments I have received are from people doing other diets with slower results!! I was so proud of my first weeks loss and one friend told me I would end up in hospital!!! I lost 10lb!! She has been with ww for a few months and only lost slightly more than me so I think might have a touch of the green eyed monster!! ;-) x

flabbylous said:
I have found that the only negative comments I have received are from people doing other diets with slower results!! I was so proud of my first weeks loss and one friend told me I would end up in hospital!!! I lost 10lb!! She has been with ww for a few months and only lost slightly more than me so I think might have a touch of the green eyed monster!! ;-) x

Yeah sounds like it. I always said if they were that dangerous they would be banned

marshma said:
Yeah sounds like it. I always said if they were that dangerous they would be banned

Exactly!! So many people out there want to give their opinions, having never tried it or they are tiny and don't need to diet! I've got my support network who are very quick to quiet the people who mock or look down on me trying to lose weight so it doesn't get to me that much plus I'm feeling great and losing weight to prove them all wrong!!! Xx

As long as we follow the consultants instructions then there is nothing wrong with doing a diet like this. Some people do get a case of the green eyed monster even with their close friends/family

I still have everyone saying I shouldnt do it etc, but screw em lol! I cant wait to get started tomorrow, really excited! and poeple do seem to be rather jelous of the fact I'm able to afford to do the diet! But as I said o them, I spend around the same on food as it is a week anyway so t makes no real difference!xx

ChrissyRiley said:
I still have everyone saying I shouldnt do it etc, but screw em lol! I cant wait to get started tomorrow, really excited! and poeple do seem to be rather jelous of the fact I'm able to afford to do the diet! But as I said o them, I spend around the same on food as it is a week anyway so t makes no real difference!xx

That's what I keep saying, I spend this amount on food at work each week so I'm not missing the money.....

That's what I keep saying to people who complain that it costs a lot. I pay £42.00 per week for my 3 packs a day. When I'm not eating sensibly ( i.e not on SS) I can easily spend that in 1 day. For example a coupleof bottles of wine, a takeaway and various chocolate bars and ice creams plus what I've eaten for breakfast from Mc Donalds and lunch from the canteen, plus a stop off on the way home from work to the pasty shop ( OMG!) Being on SS loses pounds in both senses.

Hi All, I only told one person at work and thats because her daughter is doing cambridge, not told anyone else though !
you are all doing so well. I started today had two shakes and the mushroom soup for tea with 55 grams of chopped mushrooms in it, it was not as bad as I thought. I had to force myself to make the soup as I just was not hungry and so not used to that feeling lol. I struggled to get 2.5 litres of water down though and thought i was drowning :) another day tomorrow, i dont want any headaches so forcing water down as i suffer with migraines and dont want one !

Back