Couch to 5k

Week 6 day 3 complete!! Considering I felt pants to start with, too hot and generally minging I'm happy I dragged my ass out for it. Having to stop myself feeling disappointed at the same time though, only covered 3.35km in 25 minutes so way off a 5k pace! Need 6 minute kilometres!! Argh!!

Ok felt slightly less grumpy when Laura on the podcast said I'm officially a runner now....x

Well done. You are a runner! You can be very proud.

The better speed comes with time. Don't push it, it will come. I had no measurements for a long time - just the 30min podcasts to measure against and after while (at least a month or two after completing the 9 weeks I have to add) I noticed that my 30 mins were taking me a bit further each week. Then I checked the distance using 'mapmyruns.com' And *then* I got my Sports watch for Christmas and now I can tell you I am back to a just below 5.3 m/k pace on hard surfaces and 6m on grass and softer paths. And I was doing more like 5.5 and shorter distances for a month after not running at all for just a week! You build stamina/speed up slowly but you lose it fast.

Today I had to cut my run short at 4K / 22mins because on top of being hot I had gone out forgetting I had not eaten anything since lunch at midday, except for a few glasses of water. Lead legs again :)

That's so fast! Eek! Well done you! I went all out the last 60 seconds and was still 5.29min/km. I use endomondo on my iPhone so I can track other sport. Wishing I hadn't set a sub 30 minute target! X

Week 1 day 2 done :) It was probably still a little warm to be doing it but I'm going out tonight and wanted to get it done today. It felt like it was over quicker today but my legs felt quite heavy - I'm assuming that's dehydration.

I notice I've done both sessions on PP days. Would you recommend I do it on PV to take advantage of the extra carbs in veggies? Or is it unlikely to make much of a difference?

Vixx I assume it might help, I've never noticed a difference though! X

I've been using an app called c25k. You can play music at the same time and it gives you audio cues of when to start running and when to walk.

a free one or did you have to pay? I'm on an andriod and when I searched the app store it came up with loooooooads and I wasn't sure which one!

Personally I just downloaded a series of MP3 files from NHS choices website (no app, I don't have an iPhone/smartphone) and they have a nice chatty voice-over that helps you along. Yes music was not always to my taste but that was not a huge problem, but I found the trainers comments a great help.

Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

There are tons of apps but I went for the c25k free one. I've got an iphone though so not sure if it would be available for android.

Week 1, run 3 completed. Feeling really good but a little apprehensive as I know it's only going to get tougher from here.

deecee I use the podcasts they're downloadable to any mp3. Well done Vixx. I did week 7 run 1 today, better times than normal (marginally). Covered 3.49 km in a few seconds over 25 minutes :)So I'd make 5k in 35 minutes at that pace. Really hoping for 30!! At the worst (uphill) bit, one of those "effortless runners" just glided by me....there's me wobbling along, blood, sweat and tears were close! haha

Anja, thank you so much for my sponsorship, you're a star :) no matter how slow I go, cancer research are £50 better off (plus the entry etc) x

Week 7 day 2 complete. Wading through treacle doesn't even begin to cover it! Always feel I have energy in the tank after runs so decided to up the pace tonight and boy I feel it! Needed every ounce of encouragement from Laura! But covered 3.74k in 25.08 (versus 3.49 in 25.38) with much faster average times (all 6min 30+ versus 7 mins). Boy that was hard! I'm covered in sweat, lovely sight for my boy, seeing his new flat for first time and all I did was bung in dukan food for him to cook for me coming round!! Haha! Still not on track for 30 min 5k though :( x

I've only started Dukan this week but am on week 3 c25k and completed week 3 run 2 tonight, I'm doing it in the gym on the treadmill as not confident enough to run on the road yet! I defo will when I'm running for 5 k though, has anybody else done it this way? And if so is it hard to make the cross over? X

I can't motivate myself to use the gym at the moment, I enjoy getting out to plod round the park but am lucky we've got so many readily available!

Tonight was the worst by far! Completed week 7 with the aim of 4k in 25 mins. Half way through the podcast stopped and I knew i was short of time so really pushed the last km. Did it in 5.55 but overall ran 25.28 and did 4.01 km cause the tracker jumped, so I guess 4 must have been around 25.10/15. I literally stopped dead though, was too knackered to cool down and had to stop to breathe before keeping going. Waaaaay off 30min 5k! X

Hey Eilidh,

well done on keeping going but are you sure you should be pushing so hard?? You've only been doing this for 7+ weeks, you're already doing outstandingly well. I think I was just about reaching 5k in my 30mins round about December, that's 3 or 4months after starting and quite a long while after being able to run for 30 mins without stopping (and without measuring!).
I know you're aiming for R4L in under 30 mins but really completing all of it in one piece is more important than the timing, you *will not* be the slowest there by a long long stretch!!

Personally, I am plodding along completing my 5ks when I 'have to', due to holidays etc I have missed 2 yoga sessions and boy can I feel the difference. I stretch at home but of course I am not dedicated enough to do a proper 1+ hr yoga session. My calves feel like lead - on Monday they hurt I had to walk a couple of times and they only warmed up and felt comfortable after about 25 mins. The 9k brisk walking round London last week also seem to have had a negative impact... I think my km averages on Thursday were between 5.30 and 6 and it actually felt even slower!

Let's see what tomorrow morning brings (apart from wind and rain!)

Thanks Anja I think I'm being daft and pushing a bit far but want to do it in a respectable time! Work with folk who have done marathons and halfs in the last few weeks so my 5k seems piddly in comparison! So I feel I should aim for a decent time! I know 30 minutes is out of my reach, and I really need to take my own advice and stretch because for the first time in years I can only touch my toes, I can't put my hands flat on the floor. Should start week 8 on Sunday but plan to climb Ben Nevis so I think it'll be Monday at the earliest (particularly if the doms haven't set in!). Otherwise I think I'll be doing r4l without completing, but I guess the race can just be another one of the thirty minute runs?!

I'll continue to plod! And would rather not feel like I'm going to spew when I finish next time! X

Thanks Anja I think I'm being daft and pushing a bit far but want to do it in a respectable time! Work with folk who have done marathons and halfs in the last few weeks so my 5k seems piddly in comparison! So I feel I should aim for a decent time! I know 30 minutes is out of my reach, and I really need to take my own advice and stretch because for the first time in years I can only touch my toes, I can't put my hands flat on the floor. Should start week 8 on Sunday but plan to climb Ben Nevis so I think it'll be Monday at the earliest (particularly if the doms haven't set in!). Otherwise I think I'll be doing r4l without completing, but I guess the race can just be another one of the thirty minute runs?!

I'll continue to plod! And would rather not feel like I'm going to spew when I finish next time! X

Ok,

a, you are doing it in a respectable time already, please believe me.

b, you can't compare yourself to people who run marathons. They train for that - and long in advance. In the month or so up to the Cambridge half-marathon I saw lots and lots of runners every day, whenever I went out myself, and it was still quite wintry and usually dark. They were building up their long-distance stamina. A soon as the even had passed I had the roads back to myself - well nearly.

c, If you're climbing Ben Nevis - WOW - anything you don't do? Start week 8 when you feel comfortable / ready. It's the persistence that will build up your stamina and speed, not individual runs that nearly make you keel over...

d, yes the race really is 'just another' thirty minute run. That's how I treated the last 3Mile Sportrelief one and that's how I'm tackling R4L next. In fact you'll have to contend with 'traffic' etc so don't expect to necessarily run your best time ever. For sportrelief my friend and I ran a slow-ish pace (9min miles - I switched to measuring in miles in the run up to it because the race was in miles), because she was actually doing the 6Miles and had to pace herself, and because lots of people got in the way - including a group of kids hoola-hooping a Mile and we had to overtake them three times (it was a 1Mile course). So I ran 4 Miles in stead of 3 'because I could' ;-) an dI felt good, but then I stopped because I did not want to overdo it. Make sure you're not running the day before, maybe even two days.

My run this morning (well just before lunch actually) was good, if a bit boring as I was doing loops in the park while the kids were playing. I set of at what felt a relaxed comfortable pace and when I checked I was doing 5.15m/km! I did eventually slow down to ~5.3 but I still felt really good. I know that the time of day makes a huge difference to how I feel - and possibly even whether I've had a PP day the day BEFORE! And even though I was much faster than last Thursday I did not feel half as tired! ALso discovered that my DD1 (nearly 8) is a good runner, though she tells me she can't run as fast as some of the kids in her class, but she can sustain longer distances - she ran behind me and completed a 1k loop only about 1/4 behind me, I was very impressed. Totally unexpected, we've not been training or anything. I offered to run a loop together next time but she says she actually prefers running alone! I think I'll be entering her in the next charity run that comes along ;-)!!

Well its d-day! As you may have noticed I've not run for 2 weeks due to a combination of aches from ben Nevis then the flu. Still bungee up so away to do the 5 k aiming for sub 35 now! X

Back