Could it be?

neilsbird09

Silver Member
I have just done two weeks Induction as you all know but I am going to do at least another two weeks I think. But.... last night we had friends over for a drink - I had two very weak gin and tonics but then I succumbed to a sambucca coffee and woke up tis mornig with the mother of all headaches. I have been a big sufferer of headaches for a long time but since being on Atkins, they have virually disappeared. Do you reckon it could be the sugar in the Sambucca that caused this? :eek:

possibly, my friend tried atkins for a week, but last night decided she could not live without chocolate and pasta so ate a pasta n sauce and a twirl.....not only did she gain 3lb this morning she feels sick and has gone back to bed with a real bad headache.....so it could be down to sugar. :(

possibly, my friend tried atkins for a week, but last night decided she could not live without chocolate and pasta so ate a pasta n sauce and a twirl.....not only did she gain 3lb this morning she feels sick and has gone back to bed with a real bad headache.....so it could be down to sugar. :(

Gosh freckles! I can't even imagine putting that in my mouth now. Well, maybe the Twirl ;) but defo not the pasta. The thought makes me gag! I bet sh realises it's not worth it now??

neilsbird - have you cut out caffine completely? Could be the caffine hit that's given you a headache?

Yes could be. I can imagine eating anything like that either now. If i do it will be a bite of an atkins chocolate bar and thats it. Ohh or grate a little onto the top of the frosting on a mim..........God thats a great idea!!!! Lol My mum done the atkins a while back and when she gave up she suffered terrible headaches when eating that horrible food again

I'm drinking decaf with the exception of an odd cup of real coffee occasonally but that has never bothered me and caused headaches so I'm guessing it's the sugar- especially after Freckle's post as well ;) That'll teach me to wander :D

Found this.

Low Carb Alcoholic Beverages

When you’re on a low carb diet everything you consume counts, even drinks! A low carb diet does not have to mean giving up great tasting drinks. However, navigating the world of counting carbs and moderation can be quite tricky without the proper guide. Thankfully, we’ve made things a bit more simple for you.
Alcohol and Carbohydrates

Your body treats alcohol with carbohydrates differently then food with carbohydrates. From a calorie standpoint, there are 7 calories per gram in alcohol and 4 calories per gram in carbohydrates. Your body burns the alcohol first for energy and then moves on to the carbs or fat content.
Where do carbohydrates come from?

Fermented drinks start as a high-carb plant. The most common of these are grapes or grains. The yeast eats up the carbs during the fermentation process, thus producing alcohol. The sugars left contribute to the carbohydrates in each beverage.
How to tell what’s low carb and high carb

• Dry wines have little residual sugars, making them lower in carbs
  • Sweet wines have an abundance of sugar making them higher in carbs
  • Distilled Spirits contain no carbs (example: whiskey, vodka, rum)
  • Pre-made mixers are high in carbs due to the sugar content
  • Beer has a high carb concentration (Drink in moderation)
Many factors can contribute to the carbohydrate content of a drink. Let’s look at the carb content of different drinks for comparison purposes. Beer (12 oz serving)

Average: 12 grams
Light: 3-7 grams
Ale: 5-9 grams
Stout: 20 grams

Wine (5 oz serving)

Dry Champagne: 2.4-4.5 grams
Dry Red: 3.5-4 grams
Dry White: 3 grams
Zinfandel: 4.2 grams
Sweet or dessert wines: 12-20 grams
Liqueur (1.5 fl oz serving)

Bailey’s cream: 11 grams
Amaretto: 25 grams
Campari: 12 grams
Crème cacao: 22 grams
Coffee liqueur: 24 grams
B & B Benedictine: 8 grams
Crème de Cassis: 17 grams
Crème de Menthe: 21 grams
Grand Marnier: 10 grams
Kirsch: 9 grams
Ouzo: 16 grams
Sambuca: 17 grams
Triple Sec: 16 grams
Now that you know the facts, you can better manage your intake of carbohydrates and keep an eye on your weight. Having fun and managing your weight do not have to be mutually exclusive! Find a drink that fits within your carb range for the day, and drink responsibly, and you will find that being on a diet does not always have to be a bad thing.

Jeez- 17g in a little shot of Sambuca, no wonder I had a headache! Back to the water - thanks Linz x

Yes thanks hun, back in the land of the living LOL! Never having sugar again - it's wicked stuff :)

Hubby bought me a notebook today so I'm sat in bed reading my favourite forum - how decadent is that? :D

:cry:Yup and I'll be able to take it in the garden when we get some sun - you're making me jealous with your weather ;);)

Yes Stephen, stick to the safe ones, it really wasn't worth it

:cry:Yup and I'll be able to take it in the garden when we get some sun - you're making me jealous with your weather ;);)

Yes Stephen, stick to the safe ones, it really wasn't worth it
with the sun we have been getting its hard work with the laptop in the garden. can hardly see the screen!
i see i now have permission to drink barcardi :D
oh this site is so good and bad for my health lol

LOL, yes who would have thought Sambuca was so high

Back