Could something be wrong?

ellie2409

I would really like if someone could help. My auntie is having a terrible time with losing weight, she has a metal hip, has two slipped disks currently and cannot really exercise. She has done diet after diet with no effect. Even when she was going to the gym 3 times a week she hasn't inched a lb. I thought possibly she wasn't doing the diet properly so i invited her up for 3 weeks and did the slimming world diet 100%. Week 1 i lost 4 lbs and she lost nothing, week 2 i lost 3 lbs and she lost nothing, the same with week3! Absolutely nothing! She was so upset, and to be honest so was i. I really don't understand why. She's been drinking water, everything i had she had.

There has got to be something there surely?

Hmmmm... That does sound strange. If she's definitely not sabotaging (eating while you're not looking or not being honest with herself), or making a mistake with the plan (not weighing/measuring As and Bs or accidentally over-synning) then you would have thought there would have been something to show for all her hard work by now. Maybe it's worth a trip to her GP to chat things over? Perhaps there is an underlying thyroid or hormone problem? You don't mention her age or weight, I know older ladies tend to find it harder to shift the pounds. And I also know that exercise doesn't help with the pounds, just the inches. Sorry I can't help more other than agree that something seems a bit awry!

Hmmmm... That does sound strange. If she's definitely not sabotaging (eating while you're not looking or not being honest with herself), or making a mistake with the plan (not weighing/measuring As and Bs or accidentally over-synning) then you would have thought there would have been something to show for all her hard work by now. Maybe it's worth a trip to her GP to chat things over? Perhaps there is an underlying thyroid or hormone problem? You don't mention her age or weight, I know older ladies tend to find it harder to shift the pounds. And I also know that exercise doesn't help with the pounds, just the inches. Sorry I can't help more other than agree that something seems a bit awry!

Sorry should have offered more info! She is 56 and about 6 stone over weight, 5'4. She definitely hasn't been cheating as I've been doing everything in the kitchen! Apparently 1she went to her gp who tested er thyroid and said it was normal. Not sure about hormones but might be worth a check.

Thank you for offering your opinion, i feel awful i can't really help her, i honestly thought she was doing the diets properly but i know i made sure we were 100%

Has she ever had her throid tested? That can have a lot to do with weigh loss ot not losing weight :)

I saw another poster on here recently who'd had her thyroid checked and then the dr said there was nothing more she could do. Surely that's nonsense - loads of conditions including intolerances, bowel problems, vitamin deficiencies, and hormone imbalances can affect weightloss. Maybe time to push the dr for some more help!

I would really like if someone could help. My auntie is having a terrible time with losing weight, she has a metal hip, has two slipped disks currently and cannot really exercise. She has done diet after diet with no effect. Even when she was going to the gym 3 times a week she hasn't inched a lb. I thought possibly she wasn't doing the diet properly so i invited her up for 3 weeks and did the slimming world diet 100%. Week 1 i lost 4 lbs and she lost nothing, week 2 i lost 3 lbs and she lost nothing, the same with week3! Absolutely nothing! She was so upset, and to be honest so was i. I really don't understand why. She's been drinking water, everything i had she had.

There has got to be something there surely?

Hi Ellie, just thinking there also that the fact that your auntie must be quite sedentary as a result of hip and back issue that before alerting the doctor, I really think you should add up her calorie intake. She would not be burning up the same calories as you so even if you eat exactly the same thing, she would not be losing weight and you would. Do up a profile of her on my fitness pal. com and it will tell you based on her physical activity (sedentary level) and diet and weight/height, the amount of calories that she needs in order for her to lose 1/2lbs per week. This really does work and it is there for you to see.

Give it some time and if that does not work, then she needs to go to a GP who will listen to her to get full blood count and/or urinalysis which can assess her hormones, blood glucose levels etc. This will give the gp a picture if there are any obstructions/imbalances etc. Good luck.

Which plan are you both doing? Is this EE? I love EE but I know some people don't get on with it. I would recommend a week of green and a week of red and see if this has any impact at all. If she is at group then this needs to be discussed with the consultant so she can look into this further. HTH :)

Hi Ellie, just thinking there also that the fact that your auntie must be quite sedentary as a result of hip and back issue that before alerting the doctor, I really think you should add up her calorie intake. She would not be burning up the same calories as you so even if you eat exactly the same thing, she would not be losing weight and you would. Do up a profile of her on my fitness pal. com and it will tell you based on her physical activity (sedentary level) and diet and weight/height, the amount of calories that she needs in order for her to lose 1/2lbs per week. This really does work and it is there for you to see.

Give it some time and if that does not work, then she needs to go to a GP who will listen to her to get full blood count and/or urinalysis which can assess her hormones, blood glucose levels etc. This will give the gp a picture if there are any obstructions/imbalances etc. Good luck.
My other half is completely none weight bearing and does no walking/ exercising whatsoever and he is still losing weight, in fact he eats more than me. I wouldn't think the lack movement would be affecting her losses. If she's followed 100% and not lost anything I would go to the doctors and ask them to look into it, there are a lot of things that can affect weight loss especially in the older lady. I hope you both get some answers and get it soted out, good luck x

Back