COUNTING!

I keep a magnifying glass handy to read the labels (the manufacturers don't really want us to know, with their ultra small print), and a calculator to work out portions and I write it all in my little notebook - using a page a day. If I don't know how many calories is in something I look it up on the internet.

I weigh things using a balancing spoon and measure with a little glass jug (from Ikea)

Things very high in calories tend to be the ones with no info on the label. :mad:

i use my fitness pal website, lets u log what u eat and how many cals etc... other websites out there also

Sort of, kind of

I used to count calories several years ago, but I have to confess I've gotten ... :eek: ... well, lazy. I started out trying to count the calories of everything I ate. But then I found it didn't really correlate to what was happening on my bathroom scale.

So then I went and purchased one of those chest strap & wrist watch combo pulse meters. And I started keeping track of how much I "burned" during my workouts. Together with my intake calories it was a lot better.

But, like I said, I got lazy and that was a lot of work. What I've been using for a while now is what I would call post-facto counting. I use a website that lets me record my daily scale readings, and it plots a chart with a smoothed trend line. The slope of that line is how much I'm gaining or losing each day. The site then tells me how many calories too many (or too few) I'm eating each day in respect to maintaining a constant weight. My stats for yesterday was:
2yl33eo.jpg

So this post-facto calorie counting that I do is I take the daily deficit number (or God forbid daily excess) and I know how much I need to trim from my normal eating routine to get me to where I want to be. For instance, when it tells me I only have a deficit of 100-200 calories a day, I trim out that orange soda that I like to have with oriental food. If I have a high deficit, I know I can splurge a little with an extra hundred calorie snack if I'm feeling weak.

So, it's sort of, kind of calorie counting. Just my experiences, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Steve

And make sure you write everything down, it's easy to forget and scary how the calories can add up. :eek:

sounds interesting Nash, what website is that?

I use Food Focus...it isn't always totally accurate so I add in my own dietary info for certain things if it seems out by too much. It also helps you keep tabs on your carb and protein intake. That and my set of digital kitchen scales are my new best friends!

What I like about my little book is that when I'm desperate for ideas I can look through it and see what I ate a few days ago and what it "cost".

Back