Cous Cous cake..

There is a thread on here somewhere (I can't seem to find it) which is the official decision from SW about cous cous cake.

They said that because the cous cous is being made up as the packet directs and then having ingredients added to it it is fine to treat the cous cous as free. I think they said that once the cous cous was made up (with water) it was down to the consumer to decide what goes in it.

Therefore you don't need to syn the cous cous in cous cous cake!!

Gemmy Lou is right. I can't find the thread either but one of our members wrote to SW headquarters and they responded basically saying that couscous is still free as long as you prepare it as per instructions on the packet. What you add to it is up to you.
I think that it has to be synned if it's actually ground up like flour.

hey ladies - i tried the cherry one - i added wild cherry muller and a spoon of almond extract....not too hot i'm afraid - they went a funny colour and didn't really taste of much.... the mincemeat ones were lush tho - def worth the syns!

Thanks for sharing x

I made the yogurty muffin ones but did it as a loaf.. actually the recipe made 2 small loaves. Even though I added a bit more sweetener it's not really sweet at all.
I did, however, discover that spread with marmite it was so yum I had a few slices.
Now, minus the sweetener, next time, I have my own type of bread since I don't eat bread! :D:D:D

You will have to have the quark. The honey would not do, though you could substitute the sweetener with the honey if you prefer that.
I have just finished eating the mincemeat couscous cake which, out of the two I prefer!
I'll put pics up next time I make either.[/QUOTE]

Could you use FF fromage frais instead as I can't get quark here
Jayne

I had a go at the yoghurty ones. They would have been fine if I had found cous cous in Tesco! I plumped for bulgar wheat as a substitute and it was way-hay-hay too grainy. Oh well...

I just made some cherry and almond ones.

1 cup couscous
1.5 cups boiling water
2 (small) pots Diet Activia (Cherry flavour)
2 beaten eggs
Frozen black cherries defrosted and cut in half (syns as will be cooked)
Almond essence
Sweetner (6 heaped tablespoons)

Add water to couscous and soak til water abosorbed

Add all other ingredients and make into a batter

Pout in muffin tin and cook at Gas Mark 8 for about half an hour (til browned)

Have eaten three so far. Think will put more almond essence and sweetener in next time.

Thanks Kate

So i would just do this recipe

1 cup of couscous
1 1/2 cups of water
5 Tbsp sweetner
1 egg
1 tub of mullerlite yogurt (Vanilla or Toffee are the best) - 1 tub of greek yoghurt instead?
1 Slug of vanilla essence for fun!

minus the yoghurt, how much cheese would you put in it if you were making them? xx

thanks very much, think i'll try this tonight, dont have a loaf tin though, should really invest in one, so might just have to make the wee muffins again. xx

I used to use a loaf tin but now buy those disposable foil loaf tins. I bought them from a pound shop. Six for a pound and no washing up!

Hey Stephie, I would do

1 cup of couscous
1 cups of water
1 egg
1 tub of greek yoghurt
1 small onion
a handful of grated cheese (I have wee hands so maybe a handful and a bit)
S & P and a bit of garlic (crushed or powder)

I made it in a loaf tin and then had slices for dinner with a salad or some roasted veg (as its a bit chilly these days)

You could use any cheese really, oooh i quite fancy blue cheese and bacon (I would use the HeA and HeB option amounts in that case)

Yumtastic!
xx

i've got this in the oven just now, minus the onion, i really dont know if i'm going to like this though :(. xxx

Back