cous cous

alfsmummy11

Silver Member
Hi all. Im having a slight addiction to cous cous atm ha. Does ne one have any yummy recipes?? got cous cous with pomegranete for lunch. Mmmmmmmm x

I've never heard of cous cous with fruit! Just out of interest- do you syn it? I thought it was free, but i see that other people syn it- confused!

No don't syn it as its still in its normal form. People should syn it if they use it for things like cakes etc. I just cook it normal and then stir in pomegranete xx

alfsmummy11 said:
Hi all. Im having a slight addiction to cous cous atm ha. Does ne one have any yummy recipes?? got cous cous with pomegranete for lunch. Mmmmmmmm x

Hi Alfs mummy

I have 2 old recipes which sadly I can't make anymore as OH hates couscous:

Dannii Minogues Savoury Couscous Pudding (0 syns and HEXA) Serves 4

2 aubergines or 1 aubergine and 8oz mushrooms, sliced - steam for 15 mins

3 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large tins tomato with basil
Extra fresh basil
Salt and pepper

Cook above (paragraph) until onion and garlic softened

1 packet couscous plus 1 tblsp stock powder and boiling water - mix together and fork to make fluffy.

28g fresh grated Parmesan

In a Pyrex casserole dish layer aubergine mix, couscous then tomato mixture using half of each. Then repeat.

Top with cheese and bake for an hour at 180 deg C or until brown

And

Couscous Filled Aubergines - serves 4 and 5 syns I think

2 Aubergines
1 small tin chopped toms
2 tblsp sweetcorn
25g no-soak dried apricots, chopped
1 tblsp pine nuts
30 ml lemon juice
100g couscous
4 spring onion, chopped
1 courgette, sliced
Salt and pepper

Cut aubergine in half lengthways and score the flesh deeply without damaging the skin. Place on a baking tray, rub in the lemon juice and bake in a 200 deg C oven for 20-30 mins until flesh soft and tender.

Meanwhile put couscous on a bowl and pour 8 fl Oz of boiling water over. Leave to soak but keep forking through.

Steam the spring onions & courgettes for 15-20 minutes. Add this to the apricots, sweetcorn and pine nuts.

Sieve the tomatoes ( I am guessing at this point that passata could be an alternative?) and add this to the filling

Scoop out the flesh and chop. Add this with the couscous to the mixture and stir well.

Spoon mixture into aubergine skins and steam for 15 mins

Serve

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Lol would a stuffed pepper work??

Kx

I shake some curry powder over my cous cous before adding the water so that it dissolves as the cous cous cooks and then stir in half a tin of Mixed bean salad from sainsburys.

Takes practically no time and I think it's yummy. :)

_Stef_ said:
I shake some curry powder over my cous cous before adding the water so that it dissolves as the cous cous cooks and then stir in half a tin of Mixed bean salad from sainsburys.

Takes practically no time and I think it's yummy. :)

Sounds yummy thanks xx

Are you guys talking about the plain cous cous- or the smaller packets which are flavoured?

I just fry garlic, chilli, courgette and spring onion in frylite and mix into cous cous with lots of salt and pepper, simple but delicious.

You can use cous cous as a coating for, fish and chicken dip in egg and roll in cous cous spray with frylight and bake. I made chicken kievs last weeks stuffed with garlic & herb light philadelphia, dipped in egg and rolled in cous cous. Although i did use the flavoured Ainsley Harriot cous cous so had to syn this and the phioladelphia light but it was yummy.

I keep mine quite plain, but add a butterbuds sachet (1.5 syn) cumin and chopped fresh coriander. Lovely jubbly x

You can use cous cous as a coating for, fish and chicken
Someone mentioned using cous cous as a coating for homemade syn free fish fingers (I have a big fish finger addiction!), but then there was a whole food abuse argument going on where some people said that because you're not using it for it's original purpose, it should be synned.

I have no idea why because it's not like you could easily over-eat on cous cous because of it. In fact, if you did you'd also be way over-eating on the fish too!

Has anyone used cous cous as a coating for something and noticed it affecting your weight loss?

Also, back to the original point. I like to add some paprika and sometimes a little chilli powder or curry powder to the dry cous cous before I add the water. Then fry off onion, garlic and a little bit of fresh red chillie and stir that in.
If I'm not having it spicy, I'll omit the chilli / curry powder and fresh chilli and sometimes add some fresh herbs in when I put the water in.

My mum always used to have it with roasted veg like peppers, aubergine, corgette and red onion mixed in. But I hate peppers and aubergine, so that put me off cous cous for years! Haha.

Sia said:
Are you guys talking about the plain cous cous- or the smaller packets which are flavoured?

My recipes use plain couscous.
Kx

msrsimpkin said:
Someone mentioned using cous cous as a coating for homemade syn free fish fingers (I have a big fish finger addiction!), but then there was a whole food abuse argument going on where some people said that because you're not using it for it's original purpose, it should be synned.

I have no idea why because it's not like you could easily over-eat on cous cous because of it. In fact, if you did you'd also be way over-eating on the fish too!

Has anyone used cous cous as a coating for something and noticed it affecting your weight loss?

Also, back to the original point. I like to add some paprika and sometimes a little chilli powder or curry powder to the dry cous cous before I add the water. Then fry off onion, garlic and a little bit of fresh red chillie and stir that in.
If I'm not having it spicy, I'll omit the chilli / curry powder and fresh chilli and sometimes add some fresh herbs in when I put the water in.

My mum always used to have it with roasted veg like peppers, aubergine, corgette and red onion mixed in. But I hate peppers and aubergine, so that put me off cous cous for years! Haha.

Bloody sw police out again!!! these people who always moan about stuff like that seem to be the ones not loosing weight so i think they r cheats who then pass blame on cous cous miss using peeps. It says in book if making flour from cous cous u must syn it but nothing about small amounts xx

Bloody sw police out again!!! these people who always moan about stuff like that seem to be the ones not loosing weight so i think they r cheats who then pass blame on cous cous miss using peeps. It says in book if making flour from cous cous u must syn it but nothing about small amounts xx
Ahh, that puts my mind at rest a little. I knew about synning it if it's in cakes, etc. but I thought it was a bit harsh to make you syn it for the tiny bit you would used making fish fingers. Hehe. I might just try that now :)

I'm still really unsure about the whole food abuse subject. I understand why it's used, but some people claim the strangest things as food abuse. I thought the point of it was to stop you over-indulging on something, that would normally be free, but when used in a way that would be easy to over-consume. Is this right, or have I totally missed the point?

You are fine to use cous cous as a coating for meat/fish etc as a) it is part of a meal and b) you will likely be adding a 1/3 superfree especially if on extra easy.

It is synned when used in cakes/bread etc (same goes for chickpeas etc) because you are using it as a substitute for flour and these are usually snacks which are easy to over indulge on.

Back