Principessa N

Minimins Addict
I have found 2 recipes on here and was wondering if people had a preference

Cous Cous Cake.

4 oz plain cous cous
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Muller lite yoghurt any flavour to your liking
4 tablespoons of canderel or alternative.

Cover cous cous with boiling water and let it stand for ten minutes. Whilst you are waiting mix two eggs, baking powder, mullerlite yoghurt and sweetener together.

Then add the cous cous to the mixture. Transfer to a microwaveable cake tin and microwave for ten minutes, eat either hot or cold.

Or

Mincemeat (the fruit one not the meat one) cous cous cake

4oz cous cous
3 eggs
3 tablespoons sweetener
2 level tablespoons mincemeat
juice from 1 lemon

Heat the oven to 180

soak the cous cous in boiling water (normally use double the height of cous cous) add the sweetener and lemon juice
with the water, stir and wait for it to soak in.

Add the mincemeat

qhisk the eggs then add them too and mix well.

Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for 40 mins

Would you be able to do the mincemeat cake in the microwave?

ooh I have all ingredients for the first one may make that tomorrow :)

Hi there I made the mincemeat one earlier & it was really nice. Haven't tried the other one though, sorry!!

Did it in the oven, but bearing in mind it's couscous, I'm sure it would do just as well in the microwave. No idea on timing though, think you would just need to try it!!

Just going through the dessert thread to see what I can cook for tomorrow!!

Any recommendations?

Good luck

:newbie:

This is how I make couscous cake, I love it and it's only 1 slimming world syn for the whole cake on a green day.

Lemon couscous cake

4oz Couscous
2 eggs
2 lemons - juice and rind (or try using 3 limes)
2 teaspoons lemon curd
5 tablespoons granulated sweetener (splenda or canderel)
1 tub quark
1 teaspoon baking powder

Cover couscous in boiling water - cover and leave to stand for 5 mins then fluff with fork.
Beat together all remaining ingredients and add the mixture to the couscous
Pour into a cake tin and bake in a preheated oven (approx 180˚) for 45 minutes or until firm

Last edited:
I made couscous cake with
4 oz plain cous cous
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Muller lite yoghurt vanilla

4 tablespoons of canderel
teaspoonful of almond essence
1 sliced apple
8 mins in the microwave

It was nice and kept hunger away as it gave me something to nibble on all day.

Ladies, sorry to be a nag but............

Just be careful with the cous cous cakes - technically they are not syn free as the "official" SW line is that cous cous shouldn't be used as a flour substitute.
This has been debated at great length so I'm not going to labour the point, just suffice to say that if your weight losses slow down or stop or you start to struggle, I'd cut these out!

Ha, just realised this is a bump of a very old thread! So it's for all new cous cous cake makers....... :)

aw man i was just about to make this... mite as well use flour as if used as flour substitute its 5 syns an ounze

There have been long debates about synning couscous cakes and one of the members here wrote to SW headquarters and they have stated that if you make couscous the way it is intended (ie adding boiling water) then it is still free do the couscous cakes are free.
If, however, you grind down the couscous it will be synned like flour.

I love the mincemeat and lemon couscous cakes BTW.

whats the difference in grounding it.... i guess it has something to do with the level of processing. it wont take ur body to process it and therefore you'll be hungry late....perhaps

just made chocolate and vanilla version. weird texture but just the hit i needed!

just got one in the oven now - 1st time ive done it u hope its nice ! - im not grinding it just using the cous cous as intended however im not going to over indulge just have a peice now and again like a snack and hopefull it shouldnt creep up and bite me on the scales !

just got one in the oven now - 1st time ive done it u hope its nice ! - im not grinding it just using the cous cous as intended however im not going to over indulge just have a peice now and again like a snack and hopefull it shouldnt creep up and bite me on the scales !

its not you grinding it that makes it against SW rules as such, its the fact that the cous cous isn't used as it supposed to be, ie as part as a meal. Here it is used as a flour substitute which is why SW don't say its free as you don't get the full feeling from it & can over indulge quite easily.

Its been spoken about a lot on here, if you do a search I am sure you will find loads of threads :)

Couscous

I've made the mincemeat cake today and was really nice, will make it again.

I've made the mincemeat cake today and was really nice, will make it again.
Don't forget to syn the whole cake as you are using the cous cous as you would flour rather than an accompaniment to a main meal x

Be careful with the couscous cakes - as it was said above it is technically tweeking the plan and is in the same bracket as lasagne chips and microwave crisps.

By the way, why are all these really old posts suddenly getting bumped? There was one yesterday that was almost 2 years old!! Please remember that there have been a lot of changes to the plans over the last two years, the introduction of EE being one of them. And if you are searching that far back for syn values remember that recipes change and values go up (or down) - i.e. Marshalls Mac Cheese.

Be careful with the couscous cakes - as it was said above it is technically tweeking the plan and is in the same bracket as lasagne chips and microwave crisps.

By the way, why are all these really old posts suddenly getting bumped? There was one yesterday that was almost 2 years old!! Please remember that there have been a lot of changes to the plans over the last two years, the introduction of EE being one of them. And if you are searching that far back for syn values remember that recipes change and values go up (or down) - i.e. Marshalls Mac Cheese.

Hi i think its just a lot of new members have joined recently and have been browsing the receipe section or people like me who are starting to struggle a little and need to ease our cravings slightly (without eating a huge bar of dairymilk dipped in coffee)x

Back