Couscous Cakes

Hi All,

My first post!!

Just wanted to let you all know that the recipe for couscous cakes kicking about are fab. I've just made some lemon ones and they are fantastic.
The texture is a bit strange, but once the lemon hits you, you don't care. Try it, its simple and they are TOTALLY FREE!!

4oz couscous
180ml boiling water
2 eggs
7tbsps sweetener
1 lemon

- Pour the water over the couscous and leave for 10 mins
-Seperate the eggs and whisk the whites untill stiff
-Add the sweetener, lemon rind, lemon juice and yolks to the egg whites and fold in.
-Add the couscous and mix gently.
Spray a loaf tin with fryight (or cake cases), and add mixture. bake in oven 200c/gas 6 for around 25 mins (20mins for small cases)

I'm going to take them to work with me, to try and beat the urge to run to the chocolate machine and gorge myself!!

:) Michael

Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting the recipe, I know that cous cous cakes are lifesavers for many SWers.

How long have you been doing SW? How are you finding it so far?

Good luck
x

sorry Cous Cous cake is syned now, to most disgust LOL!

Phil x
Hi Phil,

How are they sinned? All of the ingredients are free, how does that make it synful?

Princess, been doing SW since Sept/Oct time. Switched to EE after 3 weeks. Love it. Makes it soo much easier to plan meals (although my food bills have gone up about 40% having to buy raw ingredients)
Still I love it. I've lost a stone since I began, although I did fail a bit over X-mas. Not looking forward to the scales on Weds coming up. (others cancelled due to snow) But its more of an incentice. Ill be booking a holiday sometime next week which will (hopefully) mean im more focused in losing weight.

:)

Yes, I love EE too. I love the cooking I do, but eating out with EE feels so much less stressful.
I guess you have to balance out the extra cost of food with how good it is all doing you

A holiday will be a great incentive, just thinking about nicer weather has got to be better than looking at snow and feeling sorry for ourselves, eh? Not very easy to cut down on treats when the world feels quite miserable

Good luck on the journey- stick around and let us all now how you get on

xxx

SW have said that cous cous cake is free. Because the cous cous is made up as per normal and not 'tampered' at all it isn't seen to be acting as flour or anything else.

There is the official post on here somewhere with their response. I will find it.

Right, found the thread with the official HQ response. Here is the link...
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/126341-hq-gave-answer-couscous-cake-last.html

BrightonRosie wrote to them and asked. The thread is started by her if anyone wants to search and in case the link doesn't work this is what HQ said...

If the couscous is made up as directed on the packet, it is up to the member if they would like to add sweet or savoury foods to it. If reconstituted with water, the properties of the couscous have not changed from its intended use. If however the couscous is added as a dry ingredient its syn value must be calculated.

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/126341-hq-gave-answer-couscous-cake-last.html

BrightonRosie wrote to them and asked. The thread is started by her if anyone wants to search and in case the link doesn't work this is what HQ said...

If the couscous is made up as directed on the packet, it is up to the member if they would like to add sweet or savoury foods to it. If reconstituted with water, the properties of the couscous have not changed from its intended use. If however the couscous is added as a dry ingredient its syn value must be calculated.
Thanks alot Gemma_Lou,

I was using the couscous cakes as a snack, good for the sweet craving. Never realised lemon made things so tasty, never used the rind as a flavour before. The cakes were awesome. The recipe I used meant the cakes were a bit crunchy, but with the other batch I put a bit more water in it and they turned out great. Quick, simple and they are fantastic. Taking a batch to my next meeting. Even better now I know they are free.

Thanks alot for everyones help. Glad I have the right end of the stick for a change. There needs to be something available for people with a sweet craving. Do you have any other ideas? There don't seem to be any syn free cookies, which is a downside.

What about potato flour? Can thats be used to lower they syn value?

Michael

Thanks alot Gemma_Lou,

I was using the couscous cakes as a snack, good for the sweet craving. Never realised lemon made things so tasty, never used the rind as a flavour before. The cakes were awesome. The recipe I used meant the cakes were a bit crunchy, but with the other batch I put a bit more water in it and they turned out great. Quick, simple and they are fantastic. Taking a batch to my next meeting. Even better now I know they are free.

Thanks alot for everyones help. Glad I have the right end of the stick for a change. There needs to be something available for people with a sweet craving. Do you have any other ideas? There don't seem to be any syn free cookies, which is a downside.

What about potato flour? Can thats be used to lower they syn value?

Michael

Back