Cramp

wannabeminime

Gold Member
I am trying to ss again at the mo, and, as happened last time, i am getting cramp in my legs and feet at night. I rarely suffer with this whilst not ssing. Looking at the causes below, i suspect it's alterations to the level of salts in my bloodstream due to ss. What should i do about it as obviously we should not be having added salt to soups etc. If its lack of potassium how can i replace this? I know that quinine tablets are used for leg cramps, maybe i could have a glass of slimline tonic water at bedtime as it contains quinine? Even better, put a gin in it!:D Anyone else suffer from this?

What causes leg cramps?
Unknown cause (idiopathic leg cramps)
In most cases the cause is not known. One theory is that cramps occur when a muscle that is already in a shortened position is stimulated to contract. As the muscle is already shortened, to contract further may cause the muscle to go into spasm. This commonly happens at night in bed as the natural position we lie in is with the knees slightly bent (flexed), and with feet pointing slightly downwards. In this position the calf muscle is relatively shortened and prone to cramps. This theory explains why stretching exercises may cure the problem.
Secondary causes
In some cases, the cramps may be a symptom of another condition or problem. For example:
  • Some medicines can cause cramps as a side-effect, or make cramps occur more often. These include: diuretics ('water tablets'), nifedipine, cimetidine, salbutamol, terbutaline, lithium, clofibrate, penicillamine, morphine (withdrawal), phenothiazines, and nicotinic acid.
  • Over-exertion of muscles.
  • Dehydration.
  • Conditions that cause alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low sodium or potassium level).
  • Some people who have renal (kidney) dialysis get leg cramps.
  • Pregnancy - usually in the later stages.
  • An untreated under-active thyroid gland.
  • Peripheral vascular disease (narrowing of the leg arteries which causes poor circulation).
  • Cirrhosis of the liver is a rare cause.
  • Lead poisoning.
  • Sarcoidosis.
  • Rare disorders of nerves.
  • Excess alcohol.

Hi
Odd you should mention this because this morning, I am nursing a very sore leg after the mother of all cramp attacks in the early hours.

It wasn't even in the 'usual' place (i.e my calf) ... but along the top of my foot, my ankle and all up the front of my shins (the muscles either side). I didn't know which foot position would relieve it and so spent ages half sitting up trying to rub / massage it. I could have done with some gas & air frankly! (plus hubby wasn't even there to give me sympathy!! ;) )

Interesting observation ... I thought it was just me!

Hi RD, i had it last night too, in my calf, i find it helps to jump out of bed, place your hands against the wall, and do 'press-ups' against the wall whilst keeping the feet flat on the floor.

It's agony isn't it!

That's what I do if it's in my calves ... as I said though, this time it was in a whole new place which gave me a whole new experience!! :eek:

Well, I've never had cramp there before - and I don't get cramp all that often when I'm not on CD.

I'm wondering if it's because of all the extra water diluting the potassium / sodium levels down. Hmmmmm!

Maybe a savoury veg drink in the evening might help? I dunno ... just don't want to go through that again: thought my foot was going to snap as my shin muscles pulled it upwards. My leg went all 'medieval torture' on me! :)

A few people are prone to cramp while using the Diet as their Sole Source of nutrition. It is not caused by the diet itself, but by the increased throughput of fluid in the body's tissues. The muscle spasms result from changes in sodium levels as the water shifts between cells. The remedy for most people is to keep warm, whilst a drink of slimline tonic water just before bedtime may also help as it contains quinnine. Crampex tablets can also be used.

If not Crampex tablets quinnine sulphate tablets. Have chat to local pharmacist. Trouble with the slimline tonic water is it could start cravings, but as it is advised just before bedtime perhaps this won't happen.

Linda

Thanks Linda - I'll give it a go!

had this for the 1st 2 weeks of the diet
seems to have gone now
i just upped my water intake
hope it improves for you soon
kaz :D

Yes, i have experienced cramp.. and the next day was still tender, i half expected to look down and see a golf ball size lump there.. lol

very painful,

I get cramp too, in my toes of all places, very odd!!

I had this due to too much water, I cut down a bit on the intake after 7pm and this helped x

Hi Wannabeminime

When I have cramp, there are usually 2 times I get it, at night and when I am exercising

I do Pilates and it would drive me crazy that I would get cramp usually in one foot only, when going through the different exercises, so much so, that I often had to stop completely, even though the cramp would subside, I could feel if I made another move, the cramp would come right back!

To cut a long story short, this went on for sometime and I now think I know what causes it, when I am exercising in bare feet, they become quite cold and when they are cold this is when I get the cramp. I have since been wearing a pair of socks when exercising and I no longer get the cramp!!

So I am wondering, when I get cramp in the middle of the night, was my leg outside the covers and got cold?

I guess we all at some time put our leg outside the covers if we get hot, do you think that may have caused it? if it was, you may have to consider getting some bed socks, he! he!

Hi Wannabeminime

When I have cramp, there are usually 2 times I get it, at night and when I am exercising

I do Pilates and it would drive me crazy that I would get cramp usually in one foot only, when going through the different exercises, so much so, that I often had to stop completely, even though the cramp would subside, I could feel if I made another move, the cramp would come right back!

To cut a long story short, this went on for sometime and I now think I know what causes it, when I am exercising in bare feet, they become quite cold and when they are cold this is when I get the cramp. I have since been wearing a pair of socks when exercising and I no longer get the cramp!!

So I am wondering, when I get cramp in the middle of the night, was my leg outside the covers and got cold?

I guess we all at some time put our leg outside the covers if we get hot, do you think that may have caused it? if it was, you may have to consider getting some bed socks, he! he!

Hi Ruby,

I do stick my feet out at night, i hate having hot feet!! Maybe i should try a pair of socks! Thanks.x

Hello,
Know this is a few weeks old but just wondered if people are still suffering. I have only developed this in the last 2 weeks. Wake up in the morning with cramp in my calf probably 3 or 4 times in the last 2 weeks.
Then my leg is achey all day which is a pain.
peachy
x

Back