'Cream' substitute?

sparkledpixie

Silver Member
My Mum bought me some meringue nests and berries to enjoy after WI tomorrow. What can I mix together to get a creamy style topping to enjoy with it? I've got splenda and thought of Muller Light but am a bit sick of them now to be honest. What else will mix well but taste creamy enough?

try fromage frais mixed with quark, vanilla and sweetener - yum!

I bought some weight watchers reduced fat thick cream the other day to have with strawberries as a change. Think it is only 1 syn per tblsp which isnt bad at all. Had 1 spoon on my strawberries and it wasnt half bad... made a change from yogurt!!!!

You are meant to be able to use it for cooking as well but havent tried it yet.

I really dislike mullers (they are so runny and can taste the sweetener) but found that if you like vanilla the activia fat free or onken (big tub) fat free yogs are nice & thick and don't taste bad. Otherwise I've seen people suggest using sweetener in ff fromage frais or the total greek yogs but I've not tried them myself.

A couple of ideas:

Reduced Fat creme fraiche @ 1.5syns a tblsp
Total 0% mixed with white choc options (2.5syns)
Anchor light squirty cream @ 1syn per 12.5g serving (surprisingly quite a lot)

I whole pack of birds dream topping is 12 syns - if you make it with skimmed milk with your allowance you get about 8 portions out of it!
So by my reckoning thats 1.5 syns a shot!

Total 0% (free) or 2% (half a syn for a pot), with 2 level teaspoons of lemon curd (2 syns) beaten into it. Makes it very creamy and absolutely delicious. My favourite brand of lemon curd is Tiptree.

You could also use other types of curd if you have it - I bought some raspberry curd from a farmers market the other week and it was lovely beaten into yogurt and served with raspberries and strawberries. I usually allow a couple of extra syns for the home-made ones though.

If you want something completely free, beat in some sweetener to 0% Total or Quark.

Back