Cruise. Tinned Tomatoes.

frappe

Yesterday, on a PV day, cooked XLminced beef with a tin of chopped tomatoes from the cupboard. Did check there was no added sugar, but didn't look any more closely. Ate most of it, yesterday. Pound and a half gain today.....ok not panicking.....but checking the label, I notice the carbs in the whole tin were 24g, presumably because of the tomato juice and that's responsible?

• 004044.jpg
Nutrientper 100g Energy kCal30kCalEnergy kJ126kJProtein1.2gCarbohydrate6.0gof which sugars6.0gFat0.1gof which saturatesN/AFibre0.9gSodiumN/ASalt Equivalent0.1g

Any recommendations for the best brand to use, presuming tinned toms are ok?
Thank you!

I always check the ingredients... and I see you do too. On Asda's online website, I don't see the tomatoes you have above but I did find the same range "with garlic" or "with peppers" both in tomato juice and both have SUGAR...

Are you sure your tin doesn't have it written somewhere in tiny print too?

Oh and I buy any tin of tomatoes, provided they're just 100% tomatoes!

Got another tin here:
Ingredients. Tomatoes (60%),Concentrated Tomato Juice, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid). That's it.

Presume it must be the concentrated tomato juice that has upped the carbs.

Will look out for 100% tomatoes in tins next time or maybe just stick with cheapo fresh ones as tinned tomatoes are not that cheap these days anyway!

BTW Maintainer, do really appreciate your responses. Haven't really got anyone to bounce my thoughts off re Dukan atm! Trying to stick to the book's guidelines til I'm really in the swing of it, as there seems to be lots of variation once you start googling. :)

Going by the list of provided, this tin is still only 6% carb.

Don't know if it's true or not but I read somewhere that citric acid call stall. It isn't easy in fact I have had to look in a number of supermarkets to find some without citric acid.

The brand Napalina has passata and concentrate in the tube without and ASDA own brand concentrate in a jar without. I have only found Sainsbury's organic o so good chopped tomatoes without.

Having said all that some say tomatoes stall!:rolleyes: I find it hard to cook things for me and my husband without but I am trying very hard to cut down.:(

You're very welcome - many of the differences come from his constantly amending / updating / improving the diet but also things have been amended in the UK, for instance, to conform to the UK palate! Some he then had to back down on when he saw (I'm guessing) losses being slower in the UK.

If in doubt, ask here. Most of us will have personal experience, if not precise page numbers to quote you.

Yes Vicky of Atkins used to tell us about citric acid causing issues for some. I don't know really.

Back