CWP and Overeaters Anonymous

WillowFae

Gold Member
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has combined CWP with attending OA meetings and following the 12 step programme. I know that you aren't supposed to follow CWP if you have an eating disorder but I surely a lot of us need to do CWP BECAUSE we overeat and that's how we got to where we are!

Some atheists are able to twelve-step successfully but you have to put faith in some kind of higher power, and personally I've never got past that hurdle. It's kind of key to my atheism, tbh.

However, it does help a lot of people, and it's not about profit, which makes it pretty unique in weightloss circles.

Regarding eating disorder sufferers not doing CD, I think it's a bit of a joke. I certainly lied on my form to say i didnt have an ED, but I think more often, many people are unaware that their behaviours around food ARE an eating disorder.

Binge eating disorder is chronically under-diagnosed by doctors, by all accounts (and even when it is diagnosed it isn't treated). But you talk to people on the vlcd forums, you read the diaries, and it seems a clear majority of us have a history (and a present) of disordered, irrational, emotional, addictive, chaotic, self-abusive, obsessive-compulsive eating.

Why CD say 'no eating disorder sufferers' I can only guess - I expect they want to cover their arses against any negative behaviours that could be blamed on the diet... But clearly lighterlife acknowledges that many people who need a vlcd also need psychotheraputic help, which seems more realistic.

Ah that's interesting. As a fellow BED sufferer, I agree it's hugely under diagnosed. I remember when John Prescott came out as bulimic & various medical experts said they were dumbfounded as men of his age & in his position aren't bulimic. To me that revealed about how little is known.

I think the eating disorders they refer to are anorexia & bulimia & they don't consider anything else. I think it reflects the medical establishment which generally with a lot of thought of people being greedy, general misunderstanding of other disorders & not always much interest. Interesting that recent life insurance application referred to suffering from specifically anorexia or bulimia & didn't even acknowledge BED.

i am considering hypnotherapy to help with my eating issues. so far i'm doing well on SS (2nd week in) and don't feel hungry or even that tempted at the mo, but I am concerned that one day I'm just going to go nuts and stuff everything I can get my hands on! i'm hoping that hypnosis will help me explore the issues behind my overeating and help me gain control but i dont want to start it too early, i'd rather wait until i'm on 810 to see how i'm dealing with food then.

Hi

Well i'm seriously thinking of hypnotherapy after i've shifted some weight - just to help me stop overeating/bingeing. Losing the weight is fine - I can do that. But I can't stop myself from putting it back on - and that's how I figure I've got to try to do something else to break the cycle.

So lose a few stone - then book a few sessions of hypnotherapy and I'll live happily ever after (without the spectre of overeating/bingeing hanging over me). See you on the other side!

Lx

I've not had any luck with hypnotherapy but was having some success with slimpods before I switched to cd. I also had some luck with eft. I had normal counselling & found it useful, to a point. It taught me about what makes me binge & that I need to prevent the situation arising rather than trying to beat the feeling when it came as it's too late for me by that point.

Very interesting subject I would say I'm an emotional eater, so trying to address that at moment. Medical profession don't really class food as an addict not like drink, drugs and cigarettes.

One thing OA used to advise, in cases where members could not achieve or remain abstinent from compulsive overeating, was to stop eating sugar and white flour.

That to me means a kind of low carbing or perhaps more accurately low GI-ing. Most BED sufferers are triggered by carbohydrates and of that food group, most usually, sugar, cakes, biscuits, bread etc. There you have it - always the presence of sugar and/or white flour.

If we avoid binge triggers we avoid bingeing. When I restrict carbohydrates my near life-long binge eating problem all but vanishes. I love vegetarian Atkins. I did once lose a lot of weight on Cambridge and I have a lot of respect for it but I think for some it is just too difficult and when such dieters read of others losing stones in a matter of months they tend to beat themselves up! This of course is not the fault of the diet. It works, and it works very well.

My sincere belief is that we compulsive overeaters are all carb addicted.

One thing OA used to advise, in cases where members could not achieve or remain abstinent from compulsive overeating, was to stop eating sugar and white flour.

That to me means a kind of low carbing or perhaps more accurately low GI-ing. Most BED sufferers are triggered by carbohydrates and of that food group, most usually, sugar, cakes, biscuits, bread etc. There you have it - always the presence of sugar and/or white flour.

If we avoid binge triggers we avoid bingeing. When I restrict carbohydrates my near life-long binge eating problem all but vanishes. I love vegetarian Atkins. I did once lose a lot of weight on Cambridge and I have a lot of respect for it but I think for some it is just too difficult and when such dieters read of others losing stones in a matter of months they tend to beat themselves up! This of course is not the fault of the diet. It works, and it works very well.

My sincere belief is that we compulsive overeaters are all carb addicted.

Completely agree. I wouldn't dream of gorging myself on eggs or chicken but give me toast and butter and I could easily eat 4 slice in the one go and finish that off with a viennese whirl. As far as bingeing goes, I'm pretty much at the bottom of the scale, my idea of a binge is a packet of crisps, maybe some toast and a biscuit, I wouldn't dream of sitting down and eating a packet of biscuits, what's got me in this state is grazing, just eating a little bit too much of what I like, which tends to be carbs of course and sadly for me, I'm very carb sensitive.

We don't cry out in the night for ... iceberg lettuce!

No. We cry out - day or night - for chocolate, cake, bikkies, crisps, pizza...

I won't go on. LOL. The way around such cravings is to buy sugar free goodies (watch the polyols!) and to make low-carb versions.

I, too, am carb sensitive - very - and finally realising this years back changed my life for the better.

Back