D.L.A Tribunal

GrannieAnnie

Silver Member
If I ramble on too much please bare with me, just need to put all this into words.

About five years ago my husband suffered a couple of strokes which impaired him physically but with assistance he was able to get back to work but he was never the same. Even though he was given the all clear to continue driving.

About two years ago he started to have other symptoms which the hospital and our GP couldn`t explain. He got worse, forgetting things, getting lost, not able to walk properly, dropping things, I could go on. Anyway, last year he was diagnosed with early on-set Parkinsons, he`s 56 years old.

During the past year our lives have been turned upside down. Although his company was pretty good they couldn`t keep him on. My company understood my position but had to let me go as I couldn`t fullfil my contract. He`s not allowed to drive anymore cos he kept getting lost. He now walks with a stick to stop himself from falling. If he gets up in the night to the toilet he regularly gets lost and ends up in the cupboard. I have to bath him as he can`t manage. Never remembers any appointments or even the day of the week.

We`ve been "living" on sick pay for this year which is next to nothing. We first applied for Disability Living Allowance in January. We were turned down. We appealled in April. We were turned down again. The only avenue left is a tribunal, we`ve been waiting for it since June. The tribunal is tomorrow.

Everything depends on it being successful. If it isn`t I don`t know what we will do. Every day is such a strain. His shaking has got to the stage that I now have to feed him and he drinks through a straw. What do the DWP think we are going to live on?

I understand they have to investigate and have to try to prevent benefit fraud. But we have played by the book from the beginning and got nowhere. I dread being told to go back to work as I can`t leave him alone for long and he gets agitated and upset if I even pop next door.

Thanks very much for reading my ramblings.....

Will post the outcome tomorrow.

I am sorry you have to deal with all this stress at the moment, sending hugs.

My goodness. What a lot you've been through. I can't see how you couldn't be entitled to disability benefits. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

At the tribunal be honest & tell them things exactly as they are, for example my friends dad twice tried to claim for a blue badge as he couldn't walk very far, at the meeting he was asked where he parked, he told them and he was then asked if he walked all the way from there, yes he had. But what he didn't tell them was even though he had parked a long way off, because he couldn't find a parking space closer he had stopped lots of times to catch his breath.

Perhaps if you write down exactly everything you do for your husband it may help when you get in the tribunal.

Did your husbands company offer any form of critical illness with his position? Is he able to claim for his pension (if he has one) early due to ill health, does/did your husband have any personal critical illness cover you can claim off.

My MiL also has parkinsons so I fully understand how this affects your life.

I hope it all goes well tomorrow.

I just wanted to send you all the best wishes for the meeting tomorrow. I hope that its a good outcome for you.

I don't know what advice to give you, sorry XXXXX

Such a nightmare for you. Just a question do you have anything in writing from your gp or hospital that would state the fact your hubby unable to work due to disabilities or that he unable to care for himself ? Having had previous experiences with this procedure have found that the more professional people you have on board backing your claim the easier it seems to be.

Thanks for all your replies.

Fraid we didn`t have any sort of insurance to claim from. his pension doesn`t kick in until he is 60 so thats another four years.

Our GP and local CAB have been wonderful. We have reports from both of them.

I`m writing a list of the many things I have to do for him and also his symptoms. It will help to keep me focused.

Thanks again for your support.

Good luck I hope it goes your way. The system is so wrong in so many ways that the people who so desperately need this have to fight so hard to get it that most just give up.
All the best x

Hi GrannieAnnie, I really feel for you going through this and struggling financially as well must be a nightmare. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. A friend of mine had some similar problems and at one time she was being asked to attend a back to work interview in circumstances where the idea of her working and leaving her husband alone were just ridiculous. Despite explaining things to the Benefits office she hit a brick wall. Eventually she contacted her local MP with the details and he contacted the Benefits office on her behalf. They back pedalled so fast you could almost smell the scorch marks!

It might be something to think about if you feel it would help you, depending on your MP of course. However I really hope that tomorrow is successful and that you don't need to consider it. I will keep everything crossed for the two of you. :bighug:

Unfortunately its becoming more and more common that genuine cases are being turned down and have to go down the long route of appeals and tribunals. My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer and after successful chemo and radiotherapy she developed lymphoedema on the same breast. Aswell as other health probs this meant she couldnt use her left arm properly. The macmillan nurse at the hospital advised my mum and dad to claim dla as she believed she was definately entitled to middle or higher dla and this was backed up by her doc and consultant so it came as quite a suprise when she was turned down. She ended up going to a tribunal and was awarded lower dla of £19 a week! They have now changed it to £40 a week starting from next week but it is still lower dla so my dad wont be able to get a blue badge for her! I just think it is a joke the way they treat genuine cases.
I really hope you get on well 2moro x x x

You can apply for a blue badge parking permit online and all they do is write to your doctor for confirmation.
It is not dependant on DLA
Ive had a blue badge for past 3 years and don't have DLA

Directgov: Apply for a blue badge parking permit

Thanks for all your replies.

Fraid we didn`t have any sort of insurance to claim from. his pension doesn`t kick in until he is 60 so thats another four years.

Our GP and local CAB have been wonderful. We have reports from both of them.

I`m writing a list of the many things I have to do for him and also his symptoms. It will help to keep me focused.

Thanks again for your support.

Have you contacted his pension provider to see if it is possible to take his pension early due to ill health, don't just assume because it says commences at age 60 that's it. I work in the financial services & it is worth looking into.

with dla remember to explain the worst case scenrio and also make sure you get all documents from as much health professionals as you can to go along side your form

Back