Daily Mail article on Pauline Quirke

Alpaca

Gold Member
LOL she has done amazingly well - but I go with your diagnosis Dr Di :D

I don't think the spiky hairdo in the second pic helps...

But seriously, I just don't know how people can succeed on VCLD, I mean, surviving on shakes and soups - and not many of those - crikey, you must be hungry all the time! I know a few people here have done Exante, etc - how did you all get on?

Last edited:
Well done to her goes to show have a operation is the last thing you should do, as i have always said will power is the best diet tool!!

Wow, thats some weight loss!

I don't think the make up or the clothes do her any favours though.

She needs a new stylist :)

She was two pounds heavier than my starting weight... I cant even begin to imagine how she feels now... it must be like a dream :)

x

LOL she has done amazingly well - but I go with your diagnosis Dr Di :D

I don't think the spiky hairdo in the second pic helps...

But seriously, I just don't know how people can succeed on VCLD, I mean, surviving on shakes and soups - and not many of those - crikey, you must be hungry all the time! I know a few people here have done Exante, etc - how did you all get on?

It is hardcore! You are in ketosis though, so you don't feel hungry after the first few days/ a week. For some people who have done the diet merry-go-round for years and tied themselves in knots weighing this, measuring that, can eat this, can't eat that, it's a blessed relief to just not be able to eat ANYTHING!! I know I felt like that. I managed 10 weeks completely abstaining from food, lost 2.5 stone and felt great. However, it was the re-introducing food element that went wrong, it has to be so carefully managed and obviously I hadn't learnt enough :eek:. If you have a lot of weight to lose and can do the re-feeding bit successfully then there's alot to be said for VLCDs. Having said that, I'm very glad to be back in the land of the eating :D :D

I also did a VLCD and found it really easy... no confusion, no hunger and no weighing! Occasional cravings but you learn to identify and manage them.

I did it for five months and lost 5 stone... came off it in Jan 2009. Have since put on 1.5 stone, but that's been cos I've overeaten during break ups, losing jobs etc... am now getting it down again. I didn't do the Route to Management part or any maintenance.

It works but if u come off and keep eating the same quantities as before u started 'of course' you will gain it all back. Trick is keeping your head in gear.

Good on Pauline!

I think it depends what stage of desperation you're at! It served me well at the time, and introduced me to ketosis if course :) but you still have to have a long term way of eating for after. I think Pauline looks loads better than she did, tho perhaps a rethink on the hair?!

ok i'm being cheeky here and just jumping in on the
vlcd bit without reading the article:p
i did the shakes,didn't like the soups:yuk:
the bars were sometimes a god send,so i could chew something.
no worries about what to have,it was all sorted in a packet,
no decisions to make. it went pair shaped when i came back to food,ate more than i needed or even wanted if the truth be known
and thought "ha,i look good,i can eat that ! " well no hunny
no you can't,and my three stones went back on,in an alarmingly(sp) speedy time,and with it came the unhappiness
that i thought i had shifted on,and the health problems.
would i do it again. umm yes i would,what's stopping me
the money side of it. but have i the strength to follow a proper
woe i'm not sure if i believe in myself enough .
gosh.....have i wandered off there ?
and as for Pauline,i saw her on family fortunes last night
i thought she looked very well,apart from the wardrobe side of things,i thought she could have looked amazing,maybe she is still seeing herself as "big" ?

Good post Lainey! It's so easy to sabotage all our good efforts... I'm not sure I could do total food replacement ... I want to but not sure I have the willpower or conviction in myself... :)

well we did lighter life first,didn't learn then. !!
you need the coaching after....i can't say how important that is.

I did Exante and lost 7 stone in 7 months I switched to calorie counting, weight watchers then Atkins and got impatient. Now thinking of coming back to Atkins as I really enjoyed it and have realised that it's quite a doable diet. All diets work and for me the weight going at a fast rate was my incentive to stay on a VLC diet. It's only now that it's harder, before it didn't phase me cooking dinner for others or them eating in my presence. As l had been obese for years, Exante was my miracle. I know my eating habits have changed only a little bit but l hope Atkins will teach me a new way of eating.

I wish Pauline all the best in maintaining the weight. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

That's amazing weight loss Diva! :)

its that saying
'once you get to a certain age you have to choose between your bum or your face'

Alpaca said:
That's amazing weight loss Diva! :)

Thanks, I still feel and look fat though lol. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back