Danger of alcohol when in ketosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful guys. My OH is has been doing this diet with me and could be referred to (when not on this diet) as a professional drinker. He spent the entire day in bed on Saturday, poisoned by a Vodka and coke binge on Friday. First time this has happened in the 13 years I've known him. I was getting really worried and force-fed him soup and water all day.

Take care all
xxx

its scary stuff i think i will just not drink till im at targot lol safer that way i think easier said than done tho...xx

good luck those who are drinking and hope you are all ok on your night outs (stay safe)

I think there are two other things that need pointing out as reasons why being on a VLCD like Exante can cause blackouts and potential fatality:

1) Whenever someone doesn't eat, they are likely to get drunk quicker and possibly pass out. That's because food in the stomach helps to sponge up alcohol and it's released a lot more slowly into the bloodstream. If you're just living on shakes and maybe a solid bar, you're going to be feeling the effects of alcohol a lot more quickly than someone who has eaten a meal before going out!

2) Our own fat absorbs alcohol, so overweight people tend to need to drink more alcohol to get drunk. If you're not drinking very much (if ever) and rapidly losing weight, you're not going to be accustomed to the effects alcohol will have when you're at your new weight as your old weight.

Personally, I do not plan to drink on this diet anyway, just because I'm not a massive fan of drinking (I tend to be a smoker, not a drinker) but I think as well as above, people should be mindful of these two considerations.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the alcohol/ketosis effect!!

Had a bit of a binge last night, haven't cosumed alcohol for over two weeks and have been 100% TS apart from last night when I AAM and had 3 glasses of dry white...

Talk about cheap date....Now I can normally hold my drink but last night after 1 glass I felt as if I had already had a skinful!!

Then up all night....I won't go into detail but it wasn't at all nice!!

So glad to be back on the shakes today....

J x

Hmm. I should probably be quite concerned about my level of alcohol tolerance that I happily managed a bottle and a half of wine last week with no ill-effects at all.

On the other hand, I was eating barbecued meat at the same time, so maybe I can convince myself that it acted as a sponge, rather than that my liver is a cirrhotic-wreck that no longer gives a monkeys about the abuse that I regularly subject it to.

Im worried now, I was on this for 2 months and lost 3 stone, but put about a stone back on, getting married in december so back on it for a month as of today. but in 3 and a half weeks im going on my hens, so i was going to come off it the day before, but I dont want my hens to be a total disaster because i cant handle my drink. We have a few nights out before then and I have no problem not drinking at them as I need to fit into my wedding dress, but I obviously want to have a few on my hens. Any ideas what you all think I should do???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back