Day 2 and I feel like crying!

xcazzi

Hi,
I started TS yesterday for the first time (its my first time on a VLCD also) and I am beginning to feel a great sense of regret. I bought a bumper pack so I could try everything, and so far the only things I can stand are the bars!
Yesterday I had the vegetable soup which I couldn't finish because I didn't like the taste & texture (I used a blender so it was creamy and frothy - a bit too creamy for my liking) and I had a strawberry milkshake - which stupidly I thought would taste like other the other calorific milkshakes I've had, instead it tasted like cardboard and I couldn't finish that either!
Today I've tried the vanilla one and tried adding coffee but the taste of it made me feel sick!
I've never ever had problems with trying new things - it's rare that I'll find any food or drinks inedible! So I'm starting to panic now, as I've spent a months budget for food on a box full of sachets that I cant stomach the taste of (ok fair enough I'm yet to try the rest of them so hopefully there will be at least one soup/shake that I like as I cant live on those bars for the next couple of months!)
What do I do?? Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation? I really want to give this diet my best shot but I feel sick at the thought of eating the soups/shakes. :cry: I know you can add spices to the soups but what about the milkshakes?? Does anyone know any tricks to make them taste better?

Xcazzi, I'm doing CD and there are some packs I just can't stomach having done this plan before. Also one can go off the taste of a pack which you have all the time. My suggestion is that you see the soup/shake as medicine and have it all followed by water to wash it down. You need all the nutrients from the VLCD packs and therefore you need to take them all. These vlcd's are not a way of eating so in one sense they are "medicine" just so happens people like some and not the others.......hope that makes sense!

Hi I'm on Day 4 and I've been adding alot more water to my shakes and soups, about 400ml. Could you try splitting them up - half a shake/soup at a time with more water? I also add sweetener to the shakes. Try and just get through the first few days. There are quite a few people who liked something in the beginning then went off it so fingers crossed you'll be the other way round x
Best of luck

Ooh forget to say I have the shakes hot, actually haven't tried them cold because I've needed warming up x

I agree with Kira, just treat them like medicine to get you slim and get them down. At first i had to make them up with as little water as possible, so there was less to swallow (200mls) and just chug them down. As time goes by your taste buds do change and they become much more palatable, and you just drink them and they taste 'normal'.

With the shakes you can add a little cinammon, which is quite overpowering and takes way a lot of the taste, or melt a sweetener tab with a little hot water when you make them up, which changes the taste a lot too. You can also have the shakes hot which a lot of people swear by, but i've not tried as i don't mind them cold.

I always wash each one down with a glass of water, so have one standing by and alternate water and shake if it helps. It really will get better so if you can stick with it do...

Good luck x

Thanks for your advice. I will try adding more water to dilute the taste! I think that's a great way of thinking Kira - the products as medicine. I'm really determined to see this first week through so I will just have to hold my nose so I cant taste anything!! lol x

I feel your pain Xcazzi! I'm on day 2 of Slim and save - same kind of thing just cheaper!! and i thinks its because we are only just a little way in...can still remeber how good food tastes! I did LL a few years back and went through the same thing......but if you just stick with it.....you will start to look forward to your shakes, soups etc....and if you don't ...well at least you'll be skinny!!

I'm feeling a little weird and dizzy today and feeling very sorry for myself :-( Once I start to see the weight come off I might cheer up again!

Good luck with it.
x

Having shakes cold is a very good suggestion. I remember on CD last time I had cappucino flavour hot thinking it would be like the real stuff!!! It wasn't it was vile. I then tried it with cold water and it was more palatable but Iwouldn't go as far to say it was tasty!

Don't give up!

Don't give up. I too don't like the soups for the same reasons as you. Add chilli powder, Tabasco, herbs ,pepper anything to get them down. It will be worth it. I also make the shakes with only a little water so I can neck em and get on with life

Well since writing that post I have just had a Thai chicken soup sachet and am pleasantly surprised, I am dreading the tomato one as that seems to be the one most people don't like !

Really water them down hun, might help not feel as gloopy xx

Hi!
I have just completed my first day on exante and agree with Thetrigos adding sweetener really does change the taste of the shakes! Struggled a bit today with dizziness but over all its been ok! :D good luck with the rest of your diet x

Hi xcazzi! How are you getting on with exante now? Hope you.feel better! :) x

I can remember feeling like you and I know how hard it is!! you still remember food and how great it is. I am now on week 7 of TS and actually look forward to my soup and shakes and cant remember the last meal I ate I even go out to meals in restaurants and sit with a coffee, when I feel a bit down I remember that I have lost 32lbs in 6 weeks and how fab I feel now dropping 2 dress sizes and I go online and look at the party dresses I will be able to wear at Xmas. your not even in ketosis yet so will still be feeling hungry and your taste buds will change due to the salt decrease (salt kills your taste buds ) give it 7 days and I bet you will feel different good luck xxx

Hi weecoxy, I am now on day 10 and I'm still finding it tough but a lot more bearable! It's weird though because my tastebuds seem to have given in to exante and I dont particularly mind all of them! I haven't been 100% as I have had a couple of boiled eggs but they won't have kicked me out of ketosis and iv been going to the gym so burned the extra calories off. I had a loss of 7lbs last week which has spurred me on to lose more this week as it was totm last week so fingers crossed!!

Well done xcazzi! It's brilliant news you've got to day 11, today must be day 11?
Same as me!

Don't see having the odd boiled egg or but if chicken as cheating. On Cambridge we can have certain foods protein ones as part of Sole Source + which can be a saviour from falling off waggon or staying on the Plan and remaining in ketosis. Stick at it. Are you likin the shakes cold?

hi xcazzi! Stick in there! So Hope I can get to day 11 though keep eyeing the tin of tuna in brine that's in my fridge! The bullion is a lifesaver for me really need that savoury taste! Weigh in on Monday so hopefully I do well over the weekend. I'm a complete religious daily weigher so been trying to keep away from the scales! Keep up the good work hunni! X

I was exactly the same! There's a thread somewhere here from when I first started and I was panicking because I hated it all. I still don't like the bars (have a slim fast one, still yuck but better).

For my shakes I put ice in a cocktail shaker, add a cup of water and mix it up. Pour into a cup and knock it back in one go. Follow it with a glass of water or coke zero. I used to add sweeteners to them but don't need to now. I almost like the chocolate and vanilla ones. Strawberry's getting better and eventually I'll like banana.

It's well worth it. It's taken me longer than I would've liked but I am now sitting on 15st. Had my first 100% day yesterday and going for today as well.

Seeing the scales go down is very encouraging.

I have 1 bar and 2 soups a day - I'm on day three. I really dislike the Vegetable and Tomato but I really enjoy Thai chicken and the mushroom ones! I put them in a mug and drink them like cuppa soup - it feels weird trying to eat them with a spoon!
Hope all is going well for you now you've done it for a while. I'm looking forward to my first weight day :)

Back