Day 4 extreme Ketosis

Crims

Silver Member
I was at boots this afternoon and bought some ketostix so thought I'd give it a god and I'm very dark purple the top one wooohoo, so does this mean I'm not maximising the diet?

This means you're not drinking enough water I'm afraid.
You should only register the first or second square on the stick.
If you don't drink enough, the ketones build up in your blood and can cause keto-acidosis, which is very dangerous!!
Keep glugging the water hun.xx

Eeek I'm drinking over 4 pints per day....???

Well done for getting into ketosis but the stix should only read darker first thing in the morning. At all other times they should be negative or just pale pink. As Cathy says, you need to drink more. 2L is a minimum amount, I usually have 4L a day and I rarely register more than the pale pink even first thing in the morning.

Try to sip regularly throughout the day. I struggled with 2L to start with but now find I am thirsty for more.

Good luck.

x

hi guys

well you got me worried now i am always in the dark purple and my chemist said that was fine - is this something to worry about i drink 2 litres of water every day

I wanted those stix but my doc said theres little point as im diabetic and it could give me false readings!

Nevermind i guess.

Baps, 4 litres is the MINIMUM amount. The fact that it's dark purple means you are deffo NOT drinking enough. Up it to at least 3 and re-test. If still dark, add some more. It's very important and helps your weight loss too.

Start the extra water now, you'll be fine, test yiur wee about 1pm ish, when you've had plenty to drink. It's reasonable to test dark with the first wee of the day, due to sleeping and no fluid intake. Don't panic, it'll be OK.

Baps, first thing in the morning you will get your highest reading, which could be mid pink, maybe dark pink but at any other time during the day it should be pale pink at most.

Don't worry, you'll be fine but it is worth upping your water intake.

Sarah, if you're diabetic don't you already have ketostix? My friends son is diabetic and he has some at all times, in fact she gave me a couple to check if I was in ketosis. I must admit I rarely check these days, as long as I'm losing weight and drinking plenty I don't see the point!

x

Ist or 2nd level is fine. Don't worry too much, it's prolonged ketosis that starts problems. Your chemist needs re-educating though! Loads of people on here have had duff info from the chemist.
Drink plenty tonight and tomorrow morning and re-test after lunch. You'll be A1 then. Panic over!! xx

Ok will aim for 5 pints per day... :D

Hi cathy on a different note I notice your going on holiday soon can I ask what are you going to do stick to TFR or re-feed any advice will be great as I go away soon and really concerned as what to do

Thanks
xxx

Hi Fraggle Rock, I'm going to start refeed next Sat (exactly a week before the holiday)
Then while I'm away for the 2 weeks, I'm going to eat low-fat, low-carb food.
I will have a few glasses of wine too.
In essence, I'm going to eat the way I will eat in the future after LT. (hope I don't gain anything!!) xx

mine is usually pink pink ,, but this morning i woke 3 hours later then usual ,felt hung over cause i usually have 2 litres drank by that time ... slugging it in to me now tho and feeling better by the minute

It is good to drink plenty of water (2L min, 6L max) it is important to spread it throughout the day and not try and drink too much at once as that is not good for the kidneys. I try to drink 500ml min every hour and always have a bottle with me. Sometimes it is more, especially on a lovely day like today when you are more likely to feel thirsty.

x

I'm spreading 6 pts over about 12 hours as from today :D

Back