Day 5 and i've fallen..

Before my mother past in Oct 2011, I did get to speak to her about my bad relationship with food.. and she confessed that she would feed me when I cried, everytime I cried she put food in my mouth.. not know any other way to deal with my upsets..
I think eveyone has a deep seated food problem that stems from their childhood, and I think the only way were gonna get these issues figured out i by knowing and remembering our childhoods, where food is concerned..

I think we all have to learn to love ourselves and that we do deserve to be happy in our skin and no amount of food can replace that. Tasha x

I have just started after a failed attempt a few years back. This time my other half is under orders and we have put a chain and padlock on the larder so I have no access to food, he is also looking after my bank cards and I don't carry cash so I have no temptation or access to food whatsoever.

This time is the last time I will ever diet.

Good luck Bella, we are all in the same boat on here! Tasha x

Cheers Tasha. I am only on day one - rather hungry but just wishing the next two days over so that ketosis sets in!

Ive to do the very same thing.. I live alone, so I keep no food in the house at all.. Its the only way I can do this type of diet..

Will be good from tomorrow if it kills me!! Tasha x

So much of our adult behaviour is brooding from our childhood, and I can completely identify with what you have all been saying.

For me, I think a lot of my eating habits have been passed on to me from my mum. She's one of 7 children so food was never freely available when she was a kid, so she took her sweet time eating her food, she was always last to get down from the table. And, in the same way as you have already said, it was the whole "finish what's on your plate" thing, as she saw how much her mum and dad worked to provide for the family. So she would eat even if she didn't want to. Then when she started working and was still living with mum and dad, she had the freedom to start buying her own treats and being able to afford extras, and the weight started piling on. The same thing happened to all her brothers and sisters, apart from 1 who has always managed to stay slim, which has lead her to think she's somehow 'better' than her siblings (but that's a different story lol)

Then while I was growing up, mum battled depression and turned to food a lot for comfort, so I guess I'm following suit, minus the depression.

I love my mum more than anything but sometimes I wish she would have set a better example, but now I'm a fully fledged adult myself I can't put the blame on her, that's if 'blame' is even the right word. Some people turn to drugs or alcohol to cope, she turned to food, and - like drugs and alcohol - it's become an addiction for her which she's managed to quit many times but still struggles.

I entirely believe food can become an addiction, but losing weight doesn't get the same recognition as quitting smoking or drugs or drinking, surely it can be just as overpowering and destructive?

Samprand said:
So much of our adult behaviour is brooding from our childhood, and I can completely identify with what you have all been saying.

I entirely believe food can become an addiction, but losing weight doesn't get the same recognition as quitting smoking or drugs or drinking, surely it can be just as overpowering and destructive?

I totally agree. Obesity is an addictive disease. The NHS has not recognised that and so we all struggle on. I feel it's a life addiction, like alcoholism. I am GSQ and I am not obese just now. But like an alcoholic I can easily put weight on again.

So thank goodness we can all use Minimins to get support for our addiction. We are not bad people and we were all comforted with food from birth - but the habits we learnt so well can be changed. With ongoing support we can crack it and feel good.

Thank you Samprand.

GSQ.

Completely relate to all of the above, food to a lot of people is an emotional crutch and it so hard when yo are feeling down or even happy to stop the addiction. Let's face it, if we are happy and want to celebrate we go out for dinner and it centres around food and when we are sad and miserable someone will buy us a box of chocolates, it is a vicious circle and a very hard one to break and get your head round!!! Tasha x

I totally agree. Obesity is an addictive disease. The NHS has not recognised that and so we all struggle on. I feel it's a life addiction, like alcoholism. I am GSQ and I am not obese just now. But like an alcoholic I can easily put weight on again.

So thank goodness we can all use Minimins to get support for our addiction. We are not bad people and we were all comforted with food from birth - but the habits we learnt so well can be changed. With ongoing support we can crack it and feel good.

Thank you Samprand.

GSQ.

Couldn't agree more. When my boyfriend decided to quit smoking, within a few days there were people visiting us from the NHS Stop Smoking Team (or whatever it was) giving him support, advice, helpline numbers and a 'quit kit', but if you want to lose weight there's nothing.

Admittedly, yes, ultimately it's our fault we're big. But ultimately it was his fault he was addicted to cigarettes. Same thing as far as I'm concerned, both things end up costing the NHS the same amount in treatment for heart issues, diabetes, asthma etc, which is what they're trying to avoid I think. So where's our help :psiholog:

Again, all of the above struck a chord with me.

I had a particularly confused upbringing - my parents were divorced and had very differing opinions... I lived with my mum and she was a true nurturer (finish your dinner if you want pudding... if you're good you can have a treat, clear your plate etc), but when I stayed with my dad it was the opposite (you are eating too much, you should do more exercise, you want seconds? you're so greedy and fat.. etc).

My mum was slim when she was younger, but has battled her weight (and depression on and off) for as long as I can remember (around 30 years) and I know my dad resented that about her before they divorced.

I think I reminded my dad of my mum and that is why our relationship suffered, and why he was so cruel to me when I was on the larger side.

Unfortunately he passed away suddenly before I ever got a handle on it and did LL... so he never saw me get my weight in check. A massive regret, but more upsetting that I never felt I made him proud. He wanted a slim sporty daughter I think, and that wasn't me.

Anyway - food is both a blessing and curse for me - and now I've got to make it something completely new just for me... 'fuel'.

Hugs to all xx

That is a fantastic way at looking at food, listen to your body, sometimes we confuse hunger with thirst, eat when you are hungry to feed your body and not when you are bored, upset, happy or need a choccy fix!! Tasha x

Samprand said:

For me, I think a lot of my eating habits have been passed on to me from my mum. She's one of 7 children so food was never freely available when she was a kid, so she took her sweet time eating her food, she was always last to get down from the table. And, in the same way as you have already said, it was the whole "finish what's on your plate" thing, as she saw how much her mum and dad worked to provide for the family. So she would eat even if she didn't want to. Then when she started working and was still living with mum and dad, she had the freedom to start buying her own treats and being able to afford extras, and the weight started piling on. The same thing happened to all her brothers and sisters, apart from 1 who has always managed to stay slim, which has lead her to think she's somehow 'better' than her siblings (but that's a different story lol)

Then while I was growing up, mum battled depression and turned to food a lot for comfort, so I guess I'm following suit, minus the depression.

I love my mum more than anything but sometimes I wish she would have set a better example, but now I'm a fully fledged adult myself I can't put the blame on her, that's if 'blame' is even the right word. Some people turn to drugs or alcohol to cope, she turned to food, and - like drugs and alcohol - it's become an addiction for her which she's managed to quit many times but still struggles.

I gave up smoking after 10+ years and this is 100 times harder!

Well done on giving up smoking :)

I think a lot of people downplay weight loss as if it's the easiest thing ever to do, after all, we only have to "eat less and move more" urgh god knows how many times I've heard that little gem. That's like me saying to an alcoholic "all you have to do is not drink"

I've heard from addiction councilers, that food is an addiction and one of the hardest to get over.. you can't expect someone thats addicted to something to stop.. Cause we still have to eat 5/6 small meals a day..
If you sat a herion addict down to 5/6 fixes a day.. do you honestly think that herion addict is gonna be able to get off that drug.. Same goes for Alcohol and Cigerttes..
Britian and Ireland both know they have a problem with obesity and neither of them has pulled together any kind of help for people with obesity..
ONly lately my jounior minister for medicine in Ireland, has said they're gonna put up the price of alchol to bring down the amount of money in the medical sector because of the damaging affects of alchol.. Nothing about putting a tax on top of unhealthy junk food and bringing down the price of rediculusly priced fresh fruit and veg.. cause obesity is hurting the medical sector too..
I was on Tony Fergouson last year and it heaped me lose 2 stone while I was on that diet it was costing me E80 a week for my shakes and veg and meat for one person.. I can feed myself junk food for a week for E30, Which shopping list would someone not working choose.. E30..
And still neither of our goverments see we need help..
Okay rant over LOL..

I just wish I could get addicted to Exante!! I am having two packs a day and a 600 calorie meal and I have to say that it is something that suits me far more. I know me, I know that if I stuck to TS I would last a week and that would be it. At least this way I am still loosing the weight on 1000 calories and I have food to look forward to that I can change on a daily basis, as long as it is within the 600 calorie mark . Tasha x

See I can't do the food thing, cause it messes with my mind.. (well if you can have a meal in the evening what harm with that do, or this do) and before I know it.. bang I'm back eating normal food and I'm back into a larger pair of jeans.. I'm going to Mexico for a relatives wedding.. and I want a fair bit of weight off.. so I'm not sitting in my own sweat for the 2 weeks..

I can't really see the whole finish your plate thing being a factor for me as I am one of four children and the only one who has a weight problem. My mum was always weighing herself and was a healthy petite.

The only reason I an overweight is because I am lazy and a glutton. I eat all the time and although I cook healthy meals I have portions that are FAR too big for me.

I came from to parents that were normal weight too Bella, but all my sisters have weight problems except one, and she's constantly training cause she's in the Army, but I have to say she has an unhealthy attachment to wine..
So maybe larger portions and no exercise are part of the reason for being obese, but its just another factor.. some people have a bad relationship with food.. Some people just cant say no..

Back