Day one and 4 lbs down!

lamaris

Hello, i'm Mariska, 30 years old and i'm a newbie to both cb and this forum.

Wow! Although it doesn't really surprise me, I react heavily on low-carb diets.

Like i've posted before, i'm on SS even though my BMI is 'only' 25.5. My first day was yesterday, september 1st.
I'm from Holland and we don't seem to have the same regulations as to being allowed to do SS at a certain BMI. (Please forgive me for my English, I suspect it to be a bit crooked).

Anyway, I was advised to go SS for 6 weeks. I should have achieved my goal by then. I want to lose 26 lbs; i'm currently 5ft 6 and 154 lbs. I'm really not badly overweight, but at this weight I look very chubby. My fat percentage is a whopping 35%, that's probably the reason why I look like this.

I'm thinking of making before and after pics too. All of your pics are so inspiring to me!

Last edited:
lamaris i am not sure if u r already in ketosis as it usually kicks in at the3day so i think its to early but its normal u feel good as u still using all the water from ur body,ketosis comes when u start burning fat adn u may feel not so good just b4 it kick in:)
good luck

congratulations on your weight loss i'm a restarter on day 3 and just in ketosis so happy

Hi well done on your weight loss so far. I am on day 3 and havent weighed but I did try using a ketostix yesterday and it showed that I was in ketosis already which I thought was quick but I also have all the other signs like you, feling good, metallic taste in the mouth, anyway good luck and keep going!!:)

Hi there- I am also doing ss I started on 1st september too- I am 5'5 and start weight with my CDC is 157lb. My scales measure my body fat at 31%.

I am planning on doing ss for 2weeks and reassesing then- not sure I could manage 6 weeks

How are you getting on?

Good luck to you-

Hi Lamaris, I actually usually go into ketosis on day two so you could be heading that way!
I think (but someone could correct me) that it depends on the amount of glycogen stored in your body, I didn't have that much refined carbs in the first few days before starting so have less to use up before the fat burning is forced to kick in.
Anyway you are doing well so enjoy the feeling of well being. It feels good just to be taking control.

Well done :)
I started on a Friday and was in ketosis by the time I peed on a stick the Saturday night(and that included flushing my body with 5 litres of water!)
As tillyfloss said if you reduced your carbs in the days before you started(as I did) then you will go into ketosis more quickly and with less side effects(I had no headache or anything at all) :)

Thanks for the helpful reactions! It's good to know there are more ladies out there that are in the same boat.
Today I had the weigh-in. I've lost 6 pounds, but no body fat. In fact, the percentage was up with 1%!
Don't like that one. But I guess I can't expect any better results than this, since this is only day 5!
I'll keep on going, hope you will get through the week-end without falling off the wagon!

Hi lamaris and well done!

I too only have a little weight to lose (started at BMI 24.8 just 3 days ago on CD Step 2 and have lost 6lbs).

I know exactly what you mean about being just over your healthy BMI and feeling quite chubby.

I have maintained the high end of my healthy BMI for 8 years but whenever I tipped just over into the BMI 25 mark at Xmas, ect. it was very noticable.

I did used to be 15st after suffering a glucose intolerance during my first pregnancy so even though I know how it feels to be BMI 37, I also know what my ideal me is inside my head.

I'm only 5ft 3" and have a dainty, petite frame which cannot hide an extra few pounds here and there as well as some taller ladies. You can see a very obvious difference in my face in photos of me from Xmas time and a month after in which I always lose about 7lbs.

Anyway, as for the ketosis, I haven't peed on the stick yet :D but I have had a metallic taste in my mouth so I'm assuming it's kicked in. Some are quicker than others if they are active and have a fast metabolism. I've heard of some people that are able to get into ketosis in a day. Depends on what you were eating before you started CD too I think.

Congrats again and keep it up. If you want a weight loss buddy who's a similar BMI to yourself, give me shout.

Xxx

Last edited:
Sure, Poppypoo, a buddy is always nice to have and the fact that you don't need to lose THAT much either makes it more interesting!

So you are following Step 2? I'm SS-ing since here in Holland there are no restrictions. But I think my body can handle some extra calories.
I checked out the SS+ system and I'm certain that adding 200 kcals of 'green and white' foods won't slow the weight loss down.

What you said about having a small frame is very true. My pulses are quite small, so are my ankles. I also have a pretty thin waist and a small back (bra-band size), and I have narrow shoulders.
So extra weight is instantly noticeable, making me very puffy.
Also I think it depends on where you store fat. When I gain weight, it first goes to my face, creating puffiness and a double chin. It also goes to my upper arms, which is also instantly noticeable.
All of this happens when I hit the 25 BMI. I'm now at a BMI of 24,5 and voila: my face has already shaped up a LOT. It sure motivates me!

You did a great job so far and thumbs up for the next few weeks! I hope on being finished in six weeks and to never having to do cb again!

That's awesome, Mariska! I feel exactly the same. I'm not tempted by food at all because the thought of getting my BMI closer to the lighter end or at least the middle of the scale is so much more important. The smell of food makes my tummy grumble but it soon passes. I think the additional meal does help, although it is pretty limited to the point where I think I might just rather have another CD choc mint shake instead! I'm pretty lucky because I love choc shakes and so I bought a whole weeks worth - I avoided the savoury things because I just know they'll be grim for me. :)

I've been having my 4 pints of water a day too as well as half of my skimmed milk allowance and despite feeling lethargic I have carried on with my moderate daily activities like walking the Dobermanns (who need lots of exercise) and chasing round after the kids, cleaning up, etc which I reckon burns at least an additonal 200cals after the daily Basal Metabolic Rate. Therefore if I am consuming around 800cals a day with my 3 x CD shakes and a protein meal with a glass of skimmed milk, I am burning about 200 too which leaves my total daily intake at around 600cals a day.

I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon in a month's time to talk about having the excess skin surgically removed from my tummy after losing so much weight 8 years ago and also after 2 c-sections. I need to be able to tell the surgeon I have no more weight to lose and even though he's already satisfied that I've been within my healthy BMI for 8 years, if I have the tummy tuck and lose more weight afterwards I could easily end up with another over-hang of excess skin. It's been the bane of my life for years as there's nothing I myself can physically do about it because no amount of exercise can remove saggy skin.

I'm so excited about being able to wear the new pinstripe skinny Levis my hubby bought me in the summer that are a size too small. I reckon I'll be in them by next week at this rate! Woohoo! :D

Woohoo! Here's to the next week! My toilet prob managed to resolve itself without intervention but I do have some psyllium husk in the meds cabinet from when I did a detox a prior to CD. It's disgusting in water, so what's like in a CD shake?

Ewwww! If I have probs going again I'll probably avoid that then as I wouldn't want to ruin my lovely choc shakes (the highlight of each day)!!!

I don't use the savoury meal replacements. I love the choc and choc mint so much and I am not getting bored with them yet so I'll be sticking to those I think just to be on the safe side.

I finally went to the loo today after not going for 3 days but tonight I'm baffled as the problem has gone in the opposite direction if you know what I mean. I think I might try the lactose free ones and see how it goes as I don't usually use much dairy (used to Alpro Soya).

Lamaris and PoppyPoo, I think I'm in pretty much the same boat as you two! Any chance I could tag along?!
I'm 5'6 and 10 stone 9lbs...I look chubby the minute I gain a few pounds although it goes on quite evenly I end up looking quite broad and my thighs and butt do NOT look good! :) I am doing this for two to three weeks to get to the smaller end of the weight range and am hoping to get to 9 stone again... x

Of course you can Siobhan. Welcome to the 'not much to lose' gang! :D

I'm 5ft 3" and aiming for just under 9st. I'm hoping to only have to do another week and then if there's any left get rid of it through healthy eating and exercise. And I plan to keep it off for good this time! ;)

Xx

Me too! I have sworn once I get back to a size 10 I will maintain it no matter what!!! I could totally swim and stuff as a size 10 but just now there is no way I am shoe-horning myself into a swimsuit in public unless they turn the lights off and everyone closes their eyes!!! ;)

Back