days off/special occasions

LucyNewMum

Silver Member
hi everyone im just curious if anyone has planned days off, or allow themselves to eat at events/special occasions

im only a few weeks in so i wont be doing that just yet, but my boyfriends birthday is coming up in August and i'm wondering whether to be t total and take a bar with me or whether to have a planned break (as i will have been on plan for about 8 weeks by that point)

has anyone done this, and did it affect your weightloss/make it harder to get back on track?

thanks xx

Many people find it really difficult to get back on track once they take a break and whilst I've taken breaks and got back on track afterwards I have to say that it seems to become more difficult after every break. You do have the option of having protein and low carb veg / salad to remain in ketosis so you could choose a meal carefully or have a break for 1 night and get straight back on track the next day. Do get back on straightaway though as the longer you leave it the harder it is.

Hi, I had my break at week eight for my hols, had a good time and then got back on it. It was hard, but you just have to have it in your head that this is it..
If you are only breaking one meal with alcohol, read up the effects of alcohol while in ketosis and be careful? One meal can be as good as you want as BG said. So it's really the alcohol that can be an issue?

Everyone is different on this, some have cheeky quick breaks and seem to cope, others fall apart and struggle to get into it again. Everyone has different reasons for this as well..
Some can have loads of diet drinks with no ill effects, others can't, some can eat choc Truffa and others need to do that while on the throne! (lol)
We are all unique and what works for one won't work for another!

It really is a suck it and see,you won't know till you try. Its a big learning curve for us all but a journey worth taking to see how you cope.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

thanks guys, i was just curious what others did when events and what not pop up.

ill be as good as i can with food, like you said i wont no till i try- its the alcohol i'l have to battle. i'll be seeing how strong i feel when the time comes :p

well done both of you on you loses- amazing :D x

LucyNewMum said:
thanks guys, i was just curious what others did when events and what not pop up.

ill be as good as i can with food, like you said i wont no till i try- its the alcohol i'l have to battle. i'll be seeing how strong i feel when the time comes :p

well done both of you on you loses- amazing :D x

Good luck, it's very much a personal journey and I have learnt a lot about myself along the way!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Really is a personal thing but its harder after a wee break for sure, I had a drink on friday and its much harder getting back into things after a wee splurge!!

Saying that if you have a long haul, a planned break may be a good thing?? I dont regret it...I have months and months on plan ahead of me (and no more planned breaks!!)

xx

Really is a personal thing but its harder after a wee break for sure, I had a drink on friday and its much harder getting back into things after a wee splurge!!

My down fall is after having a drinking sesh at weekends, the next day i used to get a takeaway. Mainly because i was to hungover to cook and i couldnt be bothered.

I might have a break for my birthday in September as my family doesn't know I'm on this diet. Not sure I'll have a birthday cake since my mother doesn't like them, so if I stick to mostly protein and go straight back on the next day, it shouldn't be so bad.

I have 2 planned breaks coming up!

A friends hen night, cant really get out of it, dont want to be the only person drinking water - so need to come off for that night! Heard if your going to be drinking its best to have a big carb meal first, so gonna have a nice meal out with my other half first since weve been missing our weekend treats! So thats my first break - hope I can get straight back on the wagon the morning after!

Then have my holiday in sept and have a week off planned for this - kinda good timing as it will be the end of 12weeks! So good time to have my week off! :)

hey id never heard about having a carb meal before drinking?!
i dont need to change my eating when i go out- i was just thinking of having protein and salad, but i was planning on having a couple of drinks (that would be the cheat/treat part of it)
but a carb meal is suggested beforehand! anyone know why? x

LucyNewMum said:
hey id never heard about having a carb meal before drinking?!
i dont need to change my eating when i go out- i was just thinking of having protein and salad, but i was planning on having a couple of drinks (that would be the cheat/treat part of it)
but a carb meal is suggested beforehand! anyone know why? x

The carb meal is to knock you of ketosis. Drinking alcohol when you're in ketosis is very dangerous

ah rite- so should either eat something bad then drink something bad, or stay completely on plan (ideally)!

i have been reading though some of you diary starlight (looking for inspiration- very motivating) and it says you had a day off a few weeks into a plan.
can i ask (if its not too nosy) if it had any affect on your ability to get back on plan (i no everyone is different, i just like to see others views :)) thanks

I've had some time off - a Hen do weekend too because alcohol was definitely going to be a feature (along with plenty of cake etc.)... & some single days when visiting in-law-family where I gave into the food-as-socializing thing.

Getting back onto it wasn't a big problem for me as it's a psychological decision - though I was a bit headachey after the indulgent weekend. But they do seem to have set me back nearly a week each time...

I had Sat night off, and then Sunday as it was my wee boys birthday. I'd been on plan for 4 weeks by that point, ate and drank what I wanted that day (e.g milky coffee, one liqueur and lemonade, etc). I got straight back on track Monday morning, getting back on the packs has been fine, but the days have dragged in, Sunday seems like it was ages away.

When I was on CD I occasionally had a break if I was going out for lunch or dinner with friends. I had a very down to earth CDC who told me to eat what I wanted then get right back on it afterwards and that was ok for me. She reasoned that I would resent the diet if I sat drinking water ( I was SS).

I had no problem getting back on the plan and it worked fine for me. However, it is a very personal thing and everyone is different. Only thing I can advise is that if you are having a break it is better to be planned then you don't feel guilty and totally lose it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Just an update re days off weight etc

I had last Saturday night (Chinese) off, and then Sunday where I ate what I wanted eg cake sausage rools etc

Weight on Saturday was 13 st 5
Weight in Monday (after weekend off) was 13st 10 (!!!)
Weight today after getting straight back on track for the week is 13st 1.

It can be done but you really need to be focussed and firm that it's a one day/meal/occasional break and not an excuse for a day to turn into a week etc .

Well done - I also found that I had to discipline myself to step back on the scales after a night off so that I got back on track right away ....... Otherwise I would have convinced myself there was no damage lol! It is possible but takes a lot of strength. Also, I never really had a lot of side effects getting back into ketosis but I guess that would be a consideration for a lot of people who did.

Back