Death to TextSpeak!!!!

Just looked up an online Text Speak Dictionary. One of the acronyms was SITCOM - Single Income Two Children Oppresive Mortgage. Now that's a sign of the times.

Q

im 25 :p

I'm 39 and I use it sometimes.

I'm 35, but work with teens in non formal education (Yoof Work) and have worked in formal education settings, with young people permanantly excluded from school, so lots of experience reading and decoding written language, with people who have barriers to reading and writing.

I used to be fascinated with the slang the kids used to use. 'Bear' meant 'lots'. As in 'Miss I did bear work today'. At first it really through me, were the young people pooing in the woods and eating honey? However, the young people were kind enough to help me decode meaning whenever I was stuck. However, one young person was called 'weasel', mistakenly thinking it was something young and hip I asked for the meaning and was told, 'Well Miss, it's like a mammal rat thing'.

Q

I used to be fascinated with the slang the kids used to use. 'Bear' meant 'lots'. As in 'Miss I did bear work today'. At first it really through me, were the young people pooing in the woods and eating honey?
Q

OHHH the visions!!! :8855:

I have seen a text dictionary before. I do understand some of it, as I have younger cousins who text and speak like that, and I do use some of it now and then. I'm 36 and I'm kind of on the fence, cos sometimes it bothers me, othertimes it won't.

I'm a typist so I do pick up on the grammer and spelling of things, and with a dyslexic hubby, he does like me pointing out things. It does drive my eldest son nuts though, espcially if he has to redo his homework!!

Im 33

Well, I am 62, which is going to confirm all your thoughts about age!

And since reading some of your posts, I think perhaps I have been a little bit unfair to some of you.

I think that sometimes those of us who are older, and had the benefit of the kind of education you got in the 1950s, when teachers thought that spelling and grammar were important, forget that we were enormously privileged.

So I promise I will try to be more tolerant and not give you all such a hard time!

I'm 33 too :)

I do understand that not everyone can spell and use grammar correctly, and I appreciate I was lucky to have a good education. Poor spelling doesn't bother me too much to be honest, as it's just one of those things. I think what bugs me more these days is the (incorrect) use of the apostrophe in adverts, shops etc where people really should know better. Perhaps it just shows that the general standard of education is not at the level it was a few years ago?

However, there is no place for text speak anywhere but in a text in my opinion! (And even then I use 'long hand' as much as possible!)

Whilst I concur with trying to be more tolerant with spelling and grammar, I still think there's no excuse for text speak. I'd rather someone spelt great as grate instead of using gr8.
I'm just grumpy I think!

I think sometimes it's harder to use perfect grammar and spelling and checking over what you wrote.
I type as I talk and i forget all punctuation and spelling, if i was alone and had couple hours to myself i'd probably try harder when typing, but in real life have 3 year and 4 year old running around and more in thought on them! haha
Suprisingly I got a B in GCSE English! (yes i can prove it haha but over the years of texting and not writing corrctly my brain as been corrupted.
so I also think it depends on how often you write.
Like now I'm trying to ge things right but so many people who are better than me find millions of mistakes, yet someone who's just the same might not!

So yes it is down to lazyness I guess, but we not here for a writing competition we're here as we all have weight to lose/maintain. Many of us don't think to much about those reading, as a text writer i'll try be a little more considerate.

Well, I am 62, which is going to confirm all your thoughts about age!

And since reading some of your posts, I think perhaps I have been a little bit unfair to some of you.

I think that sometimes those of us who are older, and had the benefit of the kind of education you got in the 1950s, when teachers thought that spelling and grammar were important, forget that we were enormously privileged.

So I promise I will try to be more tolerant and not give you all such a hard time!

Don't be too hard on yourself, we all do have our pet peeves.

I think that somehow we are failing, in teaching the basics. I've lost count of the functionally illiterate young people I've worked with.

Q

I'm 33 too :)

I do understand that not everyone can spell and use grammar correctly, and I appreciate I was lucky to have a good education. Poor spelling doesn't bother me too much to be honest, as it's just one of those things. I think what bugs me more these days is the (incorrect) use of the apostrophe in adverts, shops etc where people really should know better. Perhaps it just shows that the general standard of education is not at the level it was a few years ago?

However, there is no place for text speak anywhere but in a text in my opinion! (And even then I use 'long hand' as much as possible!)

Text talk came around bacause longer words meant longer text's that meant more money! so people tried find a way of shortening words so that there phone bill was cheaper! I think the outside world of school doesn't help as you can forget alot if not used everyday.

, but we not here for a writing competition we're here as we all have weight to lose/maintain. Many of us don't think to much about those reading, as a text writer i'll try be a little more considerate.

Quite true. However, on here we seem to discuss a lot of things other than weight loss ;). Please don't take it as a personal dig, it is just opinion.

The original thread about "death to textspeak" I'm with, I'll try not to say any more about grammar and spelling. :eek:

I've just turned 34 and find it hard to read my nieces texts (she's 15)

It's words like der, neva, pmsl, lmao, lol, iyswim etc.

But I use things like u and wot...

I totally agree with avisk!
I HATE text talk, and have said so previously. I do make spelling and grammar mistakes, but try not to. I use firefox, and incorrect spelling is highlighted, so I do correct if I see the red line!
I, too, have got to the point of ignoring text talk posts as it takes too much time to try and decipher them.
Total lack of punctuation also annoys me!
I am 53, so probably explains it!

I think that at 67 I am perhaps one of the oldest here. I agree with Avist. I too hate everything about text talk, but fully understand the use of things like lol as the written word can sometimes be misinterpreted, we all use our own inflections on things we read and lol or rofl softens something that could otherwise be taken as something hurtful or critical. They make it instantly recognisable that what has been said has been said kindly or with humour.

It is true, we oldies have had the advantage of a different sort of education with different values,

xx

Back