Defeating the passage of time. (For new starters).

SerenityValley

Surgically happy.
Been meaning to write this for a while - and I've forgotten half of what I wanted to write, but I was reminded this afternoon about it, so wanted to muse on it for a moment and perhaps help people starting their journey.

I'm almost 37 - and have watched the last 20 years disappear into a black hole, not completely wasted but large chunks of it certainly.

Every year I was thinking "next year". Every month I was thinking "next month".

I was thinking "when" I lose weight.

And the time just passed me by.

I tried pretty much every diet going. And always gave up because of the time it was taking, or going to take. It is so easy to think "it's going to take a yera. That's so long. I can't do it" and the moment you utter those words, or think those thoughts you are doomed to failure.

All those plans, all that hope, it's gone because time is such a large, immovable object.

Only it isn't.

It's a constantly moving, forever changing, fast and furious ride - where your whole life can pass you by and leave you wondering what the hell happened.

Think about every year - how on earth did it get to be Christmas again already? It flies by.

So it's the end of march now and there are 9 months between now and Christmas. If you can get it in your head solidly, that Christmas is coming regardless of whether you're your current starting weight, or whether you're your current target weight.

I chose last september to say goodbye to "Fat Andy". I became "Losing Weight Andy". I'm not "Healthy weight Andy". And yet, it could have been so different. I could have STILL been "Fat Andy", because time waits for no man, no woman, no person - it flies by.

So which person do you want to be? As you are now, or who you could be?

GOOD LUCK!

Wow Andy, That is very deep. I'm sure it will help a lot of people including me.

good post

i was always saying - when i'm thin...next summer.... this years new years eve resolution is to lose weight - again .....etc etc and yes, the years do go by.

i'm so happy LL is letting me break this cycle and get on with living my life
daisy x

Thanks Andy, I needed to hear that. Its great to hear that other people are in this with me. It makes the ride so much more fun than trying to struggle along on your own. Im glad that I am gonna be healthy slim Lisa by next year...or maybe even this year if the weight does indeed fly off!!
xx

Andy, I was the same as you. I've wasted 10 years saying 'when I'm thin'. Waiting to be the person I used to be. Unfortunately it seems things aren't quite as I expected now I'm actually there. I think I expected to be just like I was when I was 18. Fit, healthy, full of energy, able to take on anything I wanted. But it's not the case.

I'm slowly getting fitter but am in constant pain due to a chronic spine problem. My digestive system is a mess and I suffer from IBS. I have more energy but nowhere near what I had. Truth is, I'm older and being morbidly obese for 10 years has had a permanent impact on my health.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it's never going to be perfect. So even if you've just started LL, PLEASE, don't wait any longer to start living. Being obese hinders a lot of what you can do, trust me, I know. And I know you probably don't feel like doing much. But life's just too short.

It's certainly far too sort for 'when I'm thin', 'when I'm rich', 'when I'm a size 10 instead of a 12'. Don't wish your life away.

Life as a thin person isn't all I expected it to be but don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful things I never expected. I appreciated my figure so much more than when I was 18 with a six pack. I now have saggy skin and stretch marks but feel sexier and more confident than ever.

Enjoy life NOW. you never know what's around the corner...and keep losing weight in the mean time! xxx

Different for me

Rachel I'm sorry you are not feeling as healthy and energetic as you expected.
For me it has been the oposite. I thought my lack of energy and feelings of lethargy were due to my age. I'm 54. I've been obese for 25 years.
Now i've lost my weight I feel like I used to. I feel fit and healthy, my whole life has changed. It's like a pebble in a pond, the ripple effects on my life and my family, job have been amazing.
Onlly thing is I'm in danger of feeling as though I'm 30 again.

What an amazing thought andy :D

And it's really inspirational if you really get your head round it. Sort of like whether you choose to spend your time being fat or being thin, the time will pass anyway. The only time we can act on is NOW.

A phrase occurred to me today, I'm sure I was told at one point. "Eat today for the body you want tomorrow".. It's sort of along those lines. I.e. by choosing to live your life how you want it to be today, you'll be how you want to be tomorrow.

Anyway very thought provoking hun :)

Great thread, thanks for starting it Andy.

I'm not there (weight) yet, but have seen dramatic changes in my body shape, and energy levels in an amazingly short time. I've always been very positive and don't think I've let my weight hold me back at all over the years - in fact that may be one of the reasons it's taken me 20 years to do anything about it as it really hasn't been a factor in my life generally.

However, I am a firm believer in setting goals and working towards them. One of my mantras has always been that you decide everything. What you get tomorrow is a direct result of the choices you make today, so make different choices and you will have a different future.

Thanks again Andy, I'm sure many will find your post inspiring.

This thread really made a lot of sense to me. I have spent 15 years thinking that by next summer/Xmas/holiday I will be slim. And I never have got there. I had my daughter 2 years ago and swore that I was going to be a healthy mummy for her, and this time I am determined to get there. Being obese has wasted too much of my life.

I chose last september to say goodbye to "Fat Andy". I became "Losing Weight Andy". I'm not "Healthy weight Andy". And yet, it could have been so different. I could have STILL been "Fat Andy", because time waits for no man, no woman, no person - it flies by.

It's now a year to the day since I started my LL journey, and am 13st 7lbs, I'm very happy. I could so easily have been reading this back and still been 23+ stone.

So, I will reiterate what I said before - forget how long it takes and ask yourself how you'll feel in 12 months time. Do you want to feel awful because you let that year slip away, or do you want to feel like me? Fan-bloody-tastic.

thank you so much for that post its just what i needed!!
ive spent years thinking...when i get to 9 stone, when im thin etc etc.
i did ll last year and lost 3 half stone but then our councilor left and the group just crumbled before we could start rtm so alot of us just tried to do our own thing...needless to say i put back on the weight and here i am a year later doing the same thing trying to lose weight and putting my life on hold until i get there , thinking its going to take ages 2nd time around.
im doing cambridge diet this time as nearest councilor wanted a months payment in advance and couldnt afford it :sigh: anyway its more or less the same thing.
only on day 5 at min but finding it really hard i stuck to it a week lost 8.5lb then got to day 9 and went off the rails putting 7.5 back on but have started again on monday so heres to the here and now and doing this will make a difference so i wont be thinking when im this/that in the future as ill be there:D

Awesome post Andy :) So very meaningful, time goes by so fast, and it is amazing what can be done in a short space of time.

Jez
xx

Andy - sooo true. Last year I felt I was doing a lot, but there were things I wanted to do but couldn't because of my weight - tree top assault courses with my kids being one of the things. This year I have done it all! And loved it. I feel alive and a part of the world again.

I'm not going to regret all the wasted time, but I AM going to embrace the time I have left and make the most of every day. xx

What a great post to read, thanks.

I am on LL ~ day 19 and doing well so far.

I have been wanting to lose weight since i put it on 3 years ago after back problems and feeling less able to be as active as i always have been.

I hope to be back to my old self soon. :)

What a great post to read, thanks.

I am on LL ~ day 19 and doing well so far.

I have been wanting to lose weight since i put it on 3 years ago after back problems and feeling less able to be as active as i always have been.

I hope to be back to my old self soon. :)

AFter your weekend away, and the great stength you exhibited Laydee -you WILL be! :)

I'm bumping this for 2 reasons.

1) Because I needed to read the first post again, to help me through a really difficult day. It's helped me a lot to remind myself of the passion I had when I wrote it.
2) Because if it helps just one other person to have the courage to keep going, when it's tough, I'll be a happy man.

SerenityValley said:
I'm bumping this for 2 reasons.

1) Because I needed to read the first post again, to help me through a really difficult day. It's helped me a lot to remind myself of the passion I had when I wrote it.
2) Because if it helps just one other person to have the courage to keep going, when it's tough, I'll be a happy man.

Thank you Andy! :)

Lump in throat, tears in eyes moment.

Good luck with it all xx

Back