Definitely mean it this time!

hopes12

When my eldest daughter was born I weighed around 14st and was going to lose weight.
When my Son (youngest of 4, 3 big sisters!) was born I was about 17st and was going to lose weight
When I broke my ankle last summer I was 16 stone and now I'm 18st6lb and fed up! For years I have made excuses and found reasons but the real problem has been a lazy streak! Granted the broken ankle was a good 'un! A fracture, a chip out of the bone, 2 completely torn ligaments and a hole in a third ligament, I did it in June and was finally signed off physio in February with exercises that will probably take me the next year to complete. It meant exercise and cooking were both very difficult, it does not explain the fact that I have barely cooked a decent meal since I got back on my feet though!
So last weekend I signed up to Slimming World as I felt it was the best way to get me back into cooking good food and paying proper attention to what I am eating as well as how much of it. I started last week and tomorrow is my first official weigh in, fingers crossed! I have put a lot of effort in this week and been surprised by some of the choices I could make but it was a positive start.
Sue

Last edited:
I weighed in yesterday and had lost 7lb in my first week, I am honestly not sure how much that has to do with SW and how much it has to do with how crazy last week was! I am in a military wives choir and last week we backed Lulu in concert which was an amazing experience but meant quite a bit of travel and snacking at weird times, I gained 2lb that week so either way the 7lb is that off and then some! I signed up to a challenge on Bounts today to walk 7000 steps every day for the next 5 days, I want to be hitting that regularly again by the end of April, and 10000 a day by the end of September and hopefully heading towards being allowed to run again.

Hello hopes and welcome!
7lbs is an awesome loss! Often starts with a big whoosh as its water coming off, but it's still a good sign that you're on the right track! Hope you can settle into good habits now you're not having to travel so much

Good luck!! Xxxx

Thanks Bigbear, I've put a lot into meal planning and recipes since this time last week and have cooked from scratch all week which was the inspiration I was looking for to start with so I'm happy with how I am going on so far, this weekend won't be great as we are staying with family from Friday to Monday so I won't have control over the food but I'm working on being good in the meantime and hopefully itll be ok and if not at least it will have been a good weekend!

Belated welcome, and great job on your loss so far! Hope it continues going well for you. :)
Thank you :)

I am still trying to get to grips with where I should be posting what but think I will continue to ramble on in here unless anyone tells me i shouldnt be!

I weighed in early on Friday this week as I wasn't going to have access to my scales on Sunday and lost another 7lb bringing me down to 17st6lb in 2 weeks. I went away for a fantastic weekend with family and weighed in this morning out of curiosity and was back up to 17st9lb which is still 11lb down in just over 2 weeks, I'm hoping I can fix the gain in the next week or two and I'm not going to worry about it till I weigh in properly as usual on Sunday. For the first time ever after a weekend like that I am straight back on plan and thinking about what I need to do to keep going forwards. Hopefully its a sign of things to come!

Sounds like you're in the zone and making the right choices. Yay for you :)
Good losses too, so you must be doing it right :)

Thank you, I would be happy with a maintain this week after the fun of the weekend, I probably wouldn't even be that upset if I kept a small gain but I am well back on track and have just meal planned for next week so im feeling positive, I have definitely got a new level of determination for some reason so im going to use it!

Weigh in today was 17st 5lb, which means I've lost the 3lb I gained over the weekend and an extra 1lb. I'm away overnight tomorrow doing a couple of days of touristy stuff then it's my daughters birthday Monday and we're taking her to a concert on Wednesday. I'm aiming to be as sensible as I can and hopefully not regain anything this week. I want to lose the weight but I don't want to stop having fun at the same time I'm hoping sensible aims for the odd week like this will help.

Yay, shifting the gain plus the extra pound!

It's really difficult when it feels you have to give up fun outings, or nice meals because of a diet. I agree it's important to carry on with as much as you can otherwise you'd be more likely to give up completely on the diet out of frustration I think

Hi!

Don't beat yourself up too badly for the injury having an effect - I know how hard physio can be, it's sometimes worse afterwards and pain can make you feel like not doing anything much.

You've got off to a great start!

Thanks two, it's been a long road and still will be, we went away at the weekend and I did 10,000 steps on Saturday and 13,000 on Sunday and my ankle hurt so much by the end of it, my aim once the kids are back at school on Tuesday is to use this last term of the year to get to 10,000 steps at least 5 days out of every 7.

Thanks Bigbear, this fortnight off school for the kids has been an important one for us as my husband is in the military and deploys in a week so we have been making the most of family time. That being said it's a whoops from me this week, though I'm tempted to ask for a biggest gain sticker! After a fantastic week that started with a weekend away and involved pizza hut, Chinese takeaway and fish and chips as well as miles of walking and building furniture I have gained 3lb, frankly I'm grateful it was that little and put that down to sticking to plan around the indulgences and plenty of exercise. pretty much back on plan now so hoping to see some of it off by next week. It's still 12lb off in 4 weeks which I am pretty pleased with.

Hello lovely, I found your diary :) , sorry to hear about your gain, but I know you'll have that off by next week. I hope you don't mind, but I'll update the spreadsheet with your result, think you forgot to update the Quarterly challenge thread. I hope you have a lovely weekend. Speak soon :D .

Kay xx

Hey hopes,

Your doing amazingly well. A gain doesn't matter sometimes at least you gained while enjoying your family time and not just sitting in front of the tele munching.....That's when u really feel bad about a weight gain.
It would have been a special time spending it with ur husband as well. Good for u for getting back on track so easily and doing all that walking.....keep up the good work xx

Hello lovely, I found your diary :) , sorry to hear about your gain, but I know you'll have that off by next week. I hope you don't mind, but I'll update the spreadsheet with your result, think you forgot to update the Quarterly challenge thread. I hope you have a lovely weekend. Speak soon :D .

Kay xx

Thanks Kay, I hadn't forgotten I was halfway through updating when I got sidetracked by a 3-year-old refusing to get dressed :rolleyes:

Hey hopes,

Your doing amazingly well. A gain doesn't matter sometimes at least you gained while enjoying your family time and not just sitting in front of the tele munching.....That's when u really feel bad about a weight gain.
It would have been a special time spending it with ur husband as well. Good for u for getting back on track so easily and doing all that walking.....keep up the good work xx

Thanks Tangerine, after the week I have had im genuinely ok with the gain and looking forward to getting back on board properly tomorrow. I'm sulking as Aldi have changed the recipe of the breakfast bars I have been eating and I don't like them now but today I bought a few different types to try ready for tomorrow. Something seems to have kicked in inside my head this time, I am determined to lose the weight and although I want to live my life I also want to get it off desperately. Hopefully after 3 months away he will see a big difference when he gets back too!

Hope you're doing well? I haven't been around this week with everything we have been up to!

Argh what an incredibly frustrating week, I have gained 2lb. I wrote last Friday off as it was my husbands last day off before deploying this week, we went out for the day fridge shopping :rolleyes: and I made no effort to be sensible as I had the whole week to make it up and frankly it was the last thing on my mind. On Saturday I went to see the first folio on display and being a huge Shakespeare geek it was the highlight of my week but I was sensible, I had a jacket potato and salad for my lunch out. Sunday and Monday were pretty normal and then we hit Tuesday, I had to take my eldest to a and e after she hurt her collarbone and we spent most of the day in the department, finally got something from WHSmith in the hospital at about 2 for lunch which meant I spent the rest of the day hungry and we ended up with a Chinese takeaway. Wednesday was the day he went and a lovely friend took me out for the day as a distraction and we went to Frankie and bennies. I was fairly confident this wouldn't be a fantastic result and clearly I know where it went wrong but I'm still frustrated :(

This week stands a chance of being a bit awkward too, I am out at lunch today for a leaving do and next week I'm organising 2 parties for the anniversary of a club I run, any ideas for SW friendly snack food to take along for the table would be great! The two birthday cakes I need to make for them will be bad enough! Beyond those though its back to basics for me this week and really focussing on what I am doing, that fell away a bit the week we went away. Onwards and downwards hopefully!

I've been a bit absent recently and a bit hit and miss on the food front too. My husband is still deployed and will be for a good while yet and we have known for a while that my youngest would need to have his tonsils removed during this deployment which I was doing ok with, it's a logistical nightmare but it needs to happen as he has had enlarged tonsils since before Christmas. Unfortunately, we had his final consultants appointment before the op a couple of weeks ago and the consultant really pushed the fact that the reason they are taking them out is because one is larger than the other which could indicate a tumour and he's concerned and on and on. So I still managed to stay on an even keel until the operation date came through. It was one of those moments of huge stress following huge excitement as I had just been accepted onto an MA for september which I really didn't think I had a chance of getting and I crashed, sensible eating and emotional control went out the window and I fell apart just a little, did I mention it was that time of the month as well! My logical brain can give you a hundred reasons that I don't need to worry, my non-logical brain is terrified and I'm spending a lot of time flitting between the two at the moment. But I am back on track, thinking about what I need to do and I've even started batch cooking meals so that when I'm shattered and fed up after the op because he has been up in the night in pain and the last thing I want to do is cook I can grab a meal out of the freezer and not completely stuff things up. I am approaching the lowest weight I've been in probably 8 years i am determined to keep going!

Hi Hopes - a very belated hiya from me!

I think you're doing brilliantly - there's obviously lots going on but your approach is the best one. Batch cook for those moments you just want to grab and heat; and don't beat yourself up over gains. Guilt is a bugga - but it's not a race, you will lose the weight comfortably and happily, and there are times (like kids being sick or PMT) where good food choices are as appealing as rotten eggs :rolleyes:.

Great news on the MA - what in?

Hi Lady, thank you, it's been weird few weeks but I am well on track now and seem to have my motivation back. I am happy at 21lb since early march is good enough for me, I am well on track for my 60lb this year. It's funny the good food choices aren't the issue as such it's finding the energy to cook them that I struggle with!

Thanks it's a Shakespeare MA, I am slightly mad I think but I'm very excited!

well I gained 4lb the week of my little boys op, mainly through hospital food and junk the day after and have re lost 3 of them in the two weeks since so im fairly happy with that, husband is due back this week and im so excited but its making me more keen to push forward, im 2lb off my 10% and 4lb off my 2 stone since march! onwards and downwards!

Back