Green Day Delicious cous cous pizza

xEmma86x

A personal fave of mine

1 packet of couscous (I prefer the roast veg or tomato flavoured ones)
1 egg
2 table spoons of low fat fromage frais
42g low fat cheese (healthy a)
Passata
Any other syn free toppings you like

Make up the couscous with boiling water
Add the egg and fromage frais
Then spread this out in a baking tray (plenty of fry light on the tray first though) to form your pizza base. Stick in the oven until going golden on top (about 20-25 mins) then spread the passatta and cheese on top, stick back in the oven for another five mins, the hey presto!

Hope u enjoy as much as I do.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Couscous with the egg make the base, I know there are a few syns in some of the packs you can get. Why wouldnt you be allowed to use it? (I'm not as clued up as some people on sw, but I've taken it to class before as a taster and the leader has never said anything) :S

I think what xassy is saying is that using some foods as a substitute like cous cous for a pizza base is sometimes classed as food abuse and so sw turn the original product into syns.

Another example is using cous cous in cakes.

The reasoning is that people can overeat it.

I'm sure in the books it does tell you the syn value.

Not so sure I 100% agree with it, but that is what the sw guidelines say.

I think this would be okay as it is part of a meal. Start using it as a snack though and it is then you would have to be careful.

it is true that a free food becomes syns when used as a substitute for flour. As then you start making foods that are deemed as foods you can easily over indulge on, like cakes and bread for example. Hence why cakes made using chick peas or cous cous etc are syns. cous cous for example becomes 4.5 syns per 28g of dried cous cous.

Also sadly some SW consultants do not stick to this rule with their members. It is definitely information given to them by their head office though and has been confirmed many a time by members asking head office themselves.

Wow...that is something I'd never even heard about. Shame my leader failed to mention this.
Can someone confirm to me then whether I can or can't snack on couscous...as this is something I have been doing?

Wow...that is something I'd never even heard about. Shame my leader failed to mention this.
Can someone confirm to me then whether I can or can't snack on couscous...as this is something I have been doing?

Ideally if doing extra easy, you should reach for superfree foods first, but yes you can snack on any free foods including cous cous, as long as you are cooking it the way it is intended to be used.

However, If you were for instance to make a pizza like this every day using cous cous to snack on inbetween meals, it would then definately become syns, as theoretically you are using the cous cous as a substitute for flour in a pizza base. But if you are just having it occasionally as part of a main meal, I wouldnt see it as much of a problem.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back