Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Just reading this Kathy and my advice is to check with your insurance company about the water bill- I work in insurance and we provide cover for something called "Loss of Metered Water" on properties. Something a lot people don't realise they may be covered for.

Oh, thanks, Lisa! I've just received my Homes/Contents renewal letter today, as it happens, and am phoning them on Saturday morning to discuss it so I'll ask them about the water loss then. It'd be great if we are covered! I realise it'd whack the price up next time but we haven't had to claim anything on the house insurance for over ten years so we definitely don't abuse it. It's one of those things that British Gas keep asking about. We've got the five star boiler cover with them and have included electricity and plumbing (inside the house) cover too but we thought, you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise you'd be paying out for various insurances forever! It's Sod's Law that the outside water pipes is the only one we haven't taken out so it'd be great if we're covered on the home insurance! Mini's friends to the rescue again! :D I'll let you know how we get on and thanks again, Lisa. xx

I saw some fennel in my local greengrocer today- wish I'd seen this recipe because I'd have grabbed it!
I've heard it's got a slight aniseed taste though and thats always put me off- if you do try it then please let me know if it is aniseed-y!

I've never tried it either, Lisa but, yes, it is supposed to taste of aniseed. Suppose it's an acquired taste. Don't know if I'll like it or not! :S Will let you know when/if I try it!

Kathy xx

CHICKPEA AND CAULIFLOWER CURRY - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving

175g basmati rice (I prefer brown with this, as it has a nice, nutty flavour)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 level tbsp. curry paste - 4 Syns (or less, depending on which one you use)
Pinch of dried chilli flakes, to taste
500g cauliflower florets
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
400g can chickpeas, drained

Cook the rice according to pack instructions and drain.
Meanwhile, spray a large, deep, non-stick pan well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened.
Add the curry paste and chilli flakes. Cook for one minute, stirring.
Add the cauliflower and tomatoes to the mixture, along with 100ml of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
Add the chickpeas and cook until heated through. Season to taste.
Serve on warm plates, along with the rice.

This recipe is based on one from the Healthy Food Guide.

BEEF GOULASH - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

2 onions, finely chopped
450g casserole beef, cubed and all visible fat removed
2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
400g can chopped tomatoes
150ml beef stock
1-2 tbsp. tomato puree
1 Knorr Paprika Flavour Pot - 2 Syns
4 level tbsp. half fat soured cream - 4 Syns

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened.
Add the beef to the pan and fry until browned.
Add remaining ingredients, except for the soured cream, and stir together well. Bring to the boil.
Pre-heat the oven to 150C/Gas 3.
Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish, cover and cook in the oven for one and a half to two hours or until the beef is tender.
Serve topped with the soured cream, lots of mash and plenty of lovely veggies.

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 AND 98.

HASH BROWNS WITH CHEDDAR AND CHORIZO - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving (but definitely worth it!), if using the cheese as part HEX's

800g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes
1 and a half tbsp. olive oil - 9 Syns
1 small onion, diced
75g diced chorizo - approx. 4.5 Syns
50g mature Cheddar, grated
Small pack of parsley chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Peel the potatoes and cut them into large chunks. Put them into a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until just cooked. Be careful not to overcook them, as they will absorb too much water for this recipe.
Meanwhile, heat half a tbsp. of the olive oil in a small pan. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt, then cover and cook over a low heat until the onion is soft and starting to caramelise. If the onion starts to catch, add a splash of water.
Remove the onion and garlic, then fry the chorizo in the same pan, until the oils have run and the chorizo crisps up. Put into a bowl.
Drain the potatoes and allow to steam-dry. When they are cool enough to handle, chop them into 1cm dice and add to the chorizo in the bowl, along with the Cheddar, parsley, beaten eggs, onion and garlic. Season generously with black pepper.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Gently tip in the potato mixture and press down with the back of a large spoon.
Fry over a medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Tip the mixture onto a plate, then slide back into the frying pan, cooked side up.
Cook for another 15 minutes until golden and hot.

Lovely served with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms.

This recipe is a take on one from the Good Food mag. I have tried it with Frylight but it wasn't very successful.

Last edited:
I am loving all the recipes .I am starting again tomorrow and have soem fab ideas for the family :)

I think you deserve lots of rep your thread is fantastic :)

Hi Kathy - I made a variation to your pork and cider recipe today (by using chicken as I had no pork) and it was lovely - I had the family here so 7 of us and clean plates all round!! Thank you again for sharing all these great recipes! xx

HASH BROWNS WITH CHEEDAR AND CHORIZO - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving (but definitely worth it!), if using the cheese as part HEX's

800g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes
1 and a half tbsp. olive oil - 9 Syns
1 small onion, diced
75g diced chorizo - approx. 4.5 Syns
50g mature Cheddar, grated
Small pack of parsley chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Peel the potatoes and cut them into large chunks. Put them into a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until just cooked. Be careful not to overcook them, as they will absorb too much water for this recipe.
Meanwhile, heat half a tbsp. of the olive oil in a small pan. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt, then cover and cook over a low heat until the onion is soft and starting to caramelise. If the onion starts to catch, add a splash of water.
Remove the onion and garlic, then fry the chorizo in the same pan, until the oils have run and the chorizo crisps up. Put into a bowl.
Drain the potatoes and allow to steam-dry. When they are cool enough to handle, chop them into 1cm dice and add to the chorizo in the bowl, along with the Cheddar, parsley, beaten eggs, onion and garlic. Season generously with black pepper.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Gently tip in the potato mixture and press down with the back of a large spoon.
Fry over a medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Tip the mixture onto a plate, then slide back into the frying pan, cooked side up.
Cook for another 15 minutes until golden and hot.

Lovely served with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms.

This recipe is a take on one from the Good Food mag. I have tried it with Frylight but it wasn't very successful.

Oooh I love chorizo and have tried a few of your recipes - all were v tasty! I will be doing this one v soon - thx again Kathyxx

Hi Kathy - I made a variation to your pork and cider recipe today (by using chicken as I had no pork) and it was lovely - I had the family here so 7 of us and clean plates all round!! Thank you again for sharing all these great recipes! xx

You're very welcome, upndown. Glad you enjoyed the cider recipe with the chicken instead - and everybody else too! :) Always good to know how things turn out. Thought you might like the sound of the chorizo/hash brown recipe. I adore chorizo and can't believe how something so tasty, can be so low in Syns! :) xx

SPICED BEEF STEW - Serves 4

Approx. 0.5 Syn per serving

500g lean, braising steak, diced
2 level tsp. harissa paste - 1 Syn (or to taste)
150g button mushrooms, sliced
1 red onion, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
600ml reduced salt beef stock
1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
3 potatoes, cubed
1 level tbsp. cornflour - 3.5 Syns

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and set over a medium heat.
Add the beef and cook until browned all over.
Add the harissa paste, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Fry until softened.
Add the tomatoes and stock. Stir well.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 50 mins, stirring occasionally.
Add in the potato cubes and cauliflower florets and cook for a further 40 minutes or until the beef is cooked through and tender.
Just before serving, mix the cornflour to a thick paste with a little water and pour into the stew, stirring constantly whilst adding, to thicken it up.

Obviously, you can add in any veg you like. I sometimes add chunky carrot slices, diced red pepper and a few frozen peas.

CHILLI CHICKEN AND PEANUT STIR-FRY - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving

5 tsp. reduced-salt soy sauce
1 level tsp. cornflour - 1 Syn
500g skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly
1 tbsp. dry sherry - 0.5 Syn
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
Half tsp. chilli flakes, or to taste
2 small red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
20 chopped, roasted peanuts - 8 Syns

Mix 2 tsp. of the soy sauce with the cornflour in a large, non-metallic bowl.
Add the chicken strips and turn to coat. Cover and marinade in the fridge for 10 minutes.
Combine the remaining soy sauce with the sherry in a small bowl and set aside.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and stir-fry the chicken strips, in batches, if necessary, for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
Spray the pan with more Frylight, then stir-fry the onion (best to soften first in the microwave with a splash of water), chilli flakes and garlic, until the onion has softened.
Add the peppers and thinly sliced celery and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan, with the soy/sherry mixture. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, until heated through.

Serve with jasmine rice, garnished with the chopped peanuts.

Hi Kathy and anyone having trouble finding a recipe.

Go to one of the recipe lists on 55 or 98. Then press Ctrl and F. This will fetch up fetch up a box at the bottom of the screen.

Type say CHICKEN and all the recipes with chicken in the title will have the word highlighted in GREEN.
Or say type PASTA and all the recipes with pasta in the title will have the word highlighted in GREEN

Thanks to Upndown for pointing me in the right direction.

Oh, wow!! Thanks, Doreen and Upndown! Brilliant! Should make everyone's life easier. :) :) Great to hear from you too, Doreen. Was wondering how you were. I'm off work this morning while the water board try to locate a leak. Sounds like it's going to be pricey because, just our luck, it's on our land so we're responsible! The trouble is, they're snowed under with work at the moment so the water just continues to gush underground! Lisa (another Mini's member) told me there is a relief fund for the water loss, which made me feel a bit better about things but the water board say it's only for half of the cost and it had already reached over one thousand pounds about three weeks ago!! On top of that, we're apparently not covered for the pipe work. :( Makes me really worried, cos we haven't got that sort of money! Anyway, we'll have to wait and see but now they're saying they can't come out for another week!! Oh, well - sorry to fill you with doom and gloom. Just hoping you are well and glad to see you back on the scene, so to speak. :) xx

BUTTERNUT SQUASH MACARONI BAKE - Serves 4

Less than 2 Syns per serving, if using the milk and cheese as part HEX's

8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
800-900g BNS, peeled and cut into 2.5cm pieces
2 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
275g dried macaroni
2 level tbsp. cornflour - 7 Syns
500ml skimmed milk - not bad, shared between 4
80g reduced-fat, mature Cheddar, grated

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Put the garlic, BNS and peppers in a large baking tray, lined with baking parchment. Spray with Frylight and cook for 30-40 minutes (checking at regular intervals) or until just tender.
Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to pack instructions. Drain, return to pan and set aside.
Heat the milk in a pan, then turn to a slow, rolling simmer. Blend the cornflour to a thick, smooth paste with a little cold milk and gradually add to the pan, stirring constantly, until a thickened, smooth consistency is reached.
Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins, then add the flesh to the sauce, along with the pasta, BNS, peppers and half the grated cheese. Stir well.
Season with black pepper.
Spoon the macaroni mixture into a 2 litre ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle over the remaining cheese, then bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and hot throughout.

Lovely served with HEX toast or HEX crusty bread.

This is a take on a recipe from the Make It Healthy magazine and it's delicious!

Oh, wow!! Thanks, Doreen and Upndown! Brilliant! Should make everyone's life easier. :) :) Great to hear from you too, Doreen. Was wondering how you were. I'm off work this morning while the water board try to locate a leak. Sounds like it's going to be pricey because, just our luck, it's on our land so we're responsible! The trouble is, they're snowed under with work at the moment so the water just continues to gush underground! Lisa (another Mini's member) told me there is a relief fund for the water loss, which made me feel a bit better about things but the water board say it's only for half of the cost and it had already reached over one thousand pounds about three weeks ago!! On top of that, we're apparently not covered for the pipe work. :( Makes me really worried, cos we haven't got that sort of money! Anyway, we'll have to wait and see but now they're saying they can't come out for another week!! Oh, well - sorry to fill you with doom and gloom. Just hoping you are well and glad to see you back on the scene, so to speak. :) xx

That is a worry for you Kathy. At any time never mind just coming up to Christmas.

My family tried to talk me into buying a house once upon a time but as I was divorced I decided to stay in my Council house. When I hear of things like this I am so glad I did.

Good luck with it Kathy. xxx

Back