Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

STICKY THAI PRAWNS - Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
2.5cm piece of root ginger, grated
400g raw shelld prawns, thawed, if frozen
4 level tbsp reduced sugar + salt tomato ketchup - 2 Syns
Drizzle of Tabasco sauce, to taste
2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 squeeze of lemon juice

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight. Add the onion and fry until softened. Add the red pepper and fry, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
Add in the garlic and ginger and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
Add the prawns and fry, stirring, until they have just turned pink.
Add the tomato ketchup and tabasco sauce, to taste.
Add the coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Cook for 3 minutes or until the prawns are cooked through and the sauce is sticky.

Good served with rice and, if you can spare the Syns, some naan bread.

This is an Ocado recipe.

MEXICAN-STYLE RICE - Serves 4

4.5 Syns for the whole recipe

Half tbsp olive oil - 3 Syns
2 cups of long grain rice
Half a red peppper, deseeded and finely chopped
Half a green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 Knorr Mexican Flavour Pot - 1.5 Syns
200g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can of sweetcorn, drained

Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan. Pour in 2 cups of rice and stir for one minute or two.
Add 4 cups of boiling water and just a quarter of a teaspoon of salt.
Add the Flavour Pot and give it a good stir.
Cover with a tight fitting lid and turn the heat to the lowest setting and leave for 10 minutes, without removing the lid.
Turn the heat off and leave for a further 15 minutes, again without removing the lid.
After this time, fluff the rice with a fork.
Meanwhile, spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion and peppers until softened.
Stir in the sweetcorn and kidney beans, along with the cooked rice. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.

This is based on a recipe by Amy Jones.

If you haven't tried the Knorr Flavour Pots, you really should! They make meals so tasty and for very few Syns! :)

I brought the paprika flavoured pot, glad to hear these pots are not loaded with syns..

Doing the meatballs in tomato sauce tonight x

TANDOORI MASALA FISH - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving. Have tried this with Frylight but it doesn't really work.

500g white fish fillets or salmon fillets (skinless and boneless)
2 tsp. tandoori masala powder
Quarter tsp. salt
Half tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. coriander and cumin powder
2 tbsp. olive oil - 12 Syns
100g canned, chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato puree
2 spring onions, chopped

Cut the fish into approx. 8cm length pieces.
Sprinkle all the spices, salt and pepper over all the fish and leave for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
Add the tomatoes and the tomato puree and stir.
Shallow fry the fish in this oil and tomato base.
Cook each side of the fish pieces for 3-4 minutes, then sprinkle with the chopped spring onions when cooked.

Good served with plain boiled rice and salad. Also nice with a little lemon juice squeezed over.

This is from a website called Healthy Indian Meals.

ORIENTAL STYLE SALMON - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

4 skinless salmon fillets
2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
Juice of one lime
1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
6 spring onions, shredded

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 5.
Scatter the spring onions and chilli over the base of an oven-proof dish and place the salmon on top.
Mix the soy sauce, honey, lime juice and olive oil in a small bowl, pour over the salmon, cover and bake for 10-12 minutes, or to your liking.

Lovely with either baby new potatoes and veg. or beansprouts.

This is based on a Booths recipe.

Meatball and Tom sauce was lovely, changed it slightly as I found chorizo in the fridge ;-) so added that to the sauce instead of onion. X

Ah, I did wonder which one you'd tried. There's one with and one without chorizo on here so OBVIOUSLY thought you'd be doing the chorizo one. Seeing as you mustn't have seen it, I'm glad, but not surprised, that you added chorizo! :D Glad you enjoyed it anyway. :) xx

Oops! Apologies! I was just looking for the page number for you, when I realised it's not meatballs with chorizo but meatballs with chipotle paste, I was on about! Anyway, I know you've concocted your own version, Sian but I'm just going to remedy the absence of chorizo meatballs, by adding a couple of recipes below. :)

Last edited:
PORK AND CHORIZO MEATBALLS - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

200g extra lean pork mince
150g fresh chorizo sausage, the meat extracted from the skin - approx. 10 Syns
1 small onion, finely chopped
A few sprigs of oregano, leaves removed

Put the minced pork, chorizo, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together with your hands (the chorizo takes a bit of work as it's much firmer than the mince).
Divide into 12 balls.
Pop them on a baking tray, cover with clingfilm and set aside in the fridge.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with Frylight and add the meatballs.
Fry gently over a low heat for 10 minutes, turning them over once.
Drain off any excess fat. Pour in the sauce (below) and cook for a further 15 minutes, then stir through the basil.

Last edited:
THE SAUCE! - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 small dried red chilli
Half tsp. fennel seeds
4 cloves of garlic
1 small onion, finely chopped
800g vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
A handful of fresh basil leaves
A pinch of sweetener

Bash the chilli, fennel and garlic together in a pestle and mortar, or in a food processor, until they break down.
Spray a non-stick pan well with Frylight, then add the onions and coook slowly until softened.
Add in the crushed garlic mixture and fry for 2 minutes.
Tip in the tomatoes, add the vinegar and sweetener and simmer very gently, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.

Pour into the meatballs, as directed in the recipe above.

Lovely served with wholewheat spaghetti and sprinkled with HEX grated Cheddar.

This is a Great British Spelt recipe.

EASY PORK AND CHORIZO MEATBALLS - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

300g extra lean pork mince
100g finely diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
Quarter of a medium onion, finely chopped - you'll use the rest for the sauce

The sauce - The rest of the onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
500g passata
1 tbsp. dried oregano

Make the meatballs by putting the first three ingredients into a food processor and blitz until thoroughly mixed.
Form into approx. 28 small meatballs. Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least half an hour.
When the meatballs have chilled, fry them gently in a non-stick pan, until they are browned all over, whilst making the sauce.

To make the sauce, spray a non-stick pan with Frylight and gently fry the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the chilli and fry for a further minute.
Add the passata, then stir in the oregano.
Once the sauce is heated through, add the meatballs and cook gently for 20 minutes.
Whan ready, stir the meatballs and sauce through drained pasta and, if you can spare it, sprinkle with HEX grated cheese.

Mmmm love the sound of that last one as so easy. Get some more money in bank Saturday.

Will have to see if DIL has a food processor. I only fetched my blender with me. Oh well may have to wait till I get home in 9 days time.

EASY PORK AND CHORIZO MEATBALLS - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

300g extra lean pork mince
100g finely diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
Quarter of a medium onion, finely chopped - you'll use the rest for the sauce

The sauce - The rest of the onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
500g passata
1 tbsp. dried oregano

Make the meatballs by putting the first three ingredients into a food processor and blitz until thoroughly mixed.
Form into approx. 28 small meatballs. Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least half an hour.
When the meatballs have chilled, fry them gently in a non-stick pan, until they are browned all over, whilst making the sauce.

To make the sauce, spray a non-stick pan with Frylight and gently fry the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the chilli and fry for a further minute.
Add the passata, then stir in the oregano.
Once the sauce is heated through, add the meatballs and cook gently for 20 minutes.
Whan ready, stir the meatballs and sauce through drained pasta and, if you can spare it, sprinkle with HEX grated cheese.

Ooooh - sounds lovely and you know how I love chorizo Kathy - that's another one I'd like to try - but I don't have a food processor - could it be done with a blender I wonder? Or perhaps the blender wdn't cope? Thx either way! xx

Actually, Linda, I bet a blender would cope, especially if you cut the chorizo as finely as possible before adding it in. Be worth a try anyway. If it's got chorizo in, it'll taste great whatever!! :D xx

Mmmm love the sound of that last one as so easy. Get some more money in bank Saturday.

Will have to see if DIL has a food processor. I only fetched my blender with me. Oh well may have to wait till I get home in 9 days time.

Maybe give it a go with the blender, Doreen! Don't think you can go far wrong. Nine days - how lovely for you. Enjoy! :) xx

Actually, Linda, I bet a blender would cope, especially if you cut the chorizo as finely as possible before adding it in. Be worth a try anyway. If it's got chorizo in, it'll taste great whatever!! :D xx
Thx Kathy - I'll give that a try soon xx

I just done the meatballs in a tomato sauce. The sauce made with large tomatoes, Worcester sauce mushrooms garlic and beef stock. Bloody gorgeous x

CHINESE-STYLE BEEF IN OYSTER SAUCE - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp sunflower oil - 6 Syns
400g frying steak, all visible fat removed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 red finger chillies, deseeded and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or thinly sliced
200g carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
200g shitake or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
100g can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
200g pak choi, separated into leaves
120ml oyster sauce - 4 Syns

Heat the oil in a large, non-stick wok or frying pan and add the beef, cut into slices.
Stir-fry over a high heat for 2 minutes until sealed, then add the onion, chilli, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and water chestnuts to the pan and stir.
Stir-fry for a further 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender but still retaining a little crunch.
Toss in the pak choi with the oyster sauce and 4 tbsp of boiling water. Stir-fry for 2 more minutes, until the juices are bubbling and the pak choi has just wilted.
Serve hot, maybe with boiled rice.

This is a Morrison's recipe.

Back