Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

CHEESY BROAD BEAN PASTA - Serves 4

Syn Free if using the cheese as HEX's

300g dried tagliatelle
150g Tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
100g broad beans, podded weight
120g mature or extra mature grated Cheddar (suppose you could use any cheese - probably good with mozzarella)

Cook the tagliatelle in a large pan of boiling, salted water for 8-10 minutes, until tender. After 5 minutes of the cooking time, add the broccoli and broad beans.
Drain in a colander and return to the pan. Stir through the grated cheese and season with black pepper. Divide between four, warmed bowls and garnish with fresh basil leaves, if liked.

EASY CHICKEN DOPIAZA - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 tsp cumin seeds
3 large onions, chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp cayenne pepper or, to taste
1 tsp garam masala
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground ginger or, to taste
5 tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
500g cubed skinless chicken breast

Spray a large pan with Frylight and heat over a medium heat. Stir in the cumin seeds and cook until they start to pop, 20 to 45 seconds. Stir in 2 of the 3 chopped onions and cook until golden brown. Season with turmeric, cayenne, garam masala, garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Meanwhile, spray a small pan with Frylight and cook the other chopped onion until softened. Set aside.

Puree the mixture, with the tomatoes, in a blender until smooth. Return the puree to the pan and add the chicken. Simmer gently until the chicken has cooked, about 20 minutes. Add water, as needed, while cooking to maintain the desired consistency. Add the other chopped onion towards the end of cooking to give a slightly different texture. You can also tweak it a bit by adding spinach, mustard seeds, chillies, mushrooms, etc.

CHEESY BROAD BEAN PASTA - Serves 4

Syn Free if using the cheese as HEX's

300g dried tagliatelle
150g Tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
100g broad beans, podded weight
120g mature or extra mature grated Cheddar (suppose you could use any cheese - probably good with mozzarella)

Cook the tagliatelle in a large pan of boiling, salted water for 8-10 minutes, until tender. After 5 minutes of the cooking time, add the broccoli and broad beans.
Drain in a colander and return to the pan. Stir through the grated cheese and season with black pepper. Divide between four, warmed bowls and garnish with fresh basil leaves, if liked.

I love the sound of this one except I don`t like broad or butter beans. Would you have any suggestions as I love pasta broc and cheese

Just wondering if kidney beans or chickpeas might work. Maybe a little trial and, hopefully, not too much error needed here! :D Hope whatever you decide on works well for you. x

Kathy

ROASTED RED PEPPER PATE

Practically Syn Free as the only Syns are in the Philadelphia (or equivalent) and, as it's only using 1 tbsp. and it's 1 Syn per 25g, it's negligible.

2 red peppers, de-seeded and roughly chopped into large pieces
1 tsp granulated sweetener
Half a red onion, roughly chopped
Pinch of chilli flakes
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. Lightest Philadelphia - suppose you could use Quark which is totally Syn Free
Small handful of fresh basil leaves, torn

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
Put the peppers and onion into a Frylighted roasting tin, spreading them out so they have plenty of room. Spray liberally with Frylight and sprinkle with the sweetener, a pinch of salt and some black pepper.
Mix it all through and roast for 40-45 minutes or until the peppers are soft and beginning to char very slightly.
Allow to cool for a few minutes, then tip into a food processor with the chilli flakes, garlic and Philadelphia. Whizz together until smooth.
Add the basil leaves and whizz briefly until it is flecked. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.

As well as using as a pate, it is good stirred through pasta. I always double up the quantities for this though.

I made this earlier today.Very refreshing in this weather.Thanks to slimmingsophie for it.

Pimms sw style

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
jug of lemonade (sugar free)
freash mint
some sliced/chopped lemons/limes/oranges ( but dont need all)
ice cubes

Put the balsamic vinegar into the jug add the lemonade mix it and then add the mint, lemon, lime, orange then add some ice to cool it.It's syn free too.

This was my version minus the balsamic...

And I froze the fruit kebabs so they acted as ice cubes when I put them in the drink :)

Attachments

• image-2133409372.jpg
    image-2133409372.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 224
Does anyone know how to make low syn samosas without using filo as I cant seem to find any in my local store, my folks use the chinese ones? :)

Also, if I make quorn patties with quorn mince, is that free? I'd grill with fry lite. :)

CHICKPEA, SPINACH AND MUSHROOM CURRY - Serves 6

Syn Free

3 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
500g mushrooms, sliced
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
300g sweet-corn (optional)
2 tsp curry powder or to taste
1 kg fresh spinach

Sautee the chopped onion and garlic in a Frylighted pan.
Add the mushrooms, chickpeas and sweet-corn.
Blend the curry paste with a little water to make a paste. Add to the pan, season and stir.
When the vegetables have softened slightly, add the spinach. Let the mixture simmer, stirring occasionally, until the spinach has cooked down a little and the veg is cooked through.
Serve hot with rice or couscous.

PORK, CORIANDER AND CHILLI MEATBALLS WITH COUSCOUS - Serves 4

500g extra lean minced pork (Tesco Extra Lean - chilled, Tesco Finest Outdoor Bred Pork Mince, chilled, Sainsbury's Extra Lean, chilled are all Free)
100g bacon, all visible fat removed, finely diced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
3 limes, zested and juiced
Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
2-3 red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
350g couscous
Large bunch of coriander leaves, roughly chopped

Place the minced pork and bacon in a mixing bowl. Add the shallot, garlic, ground coriander, the zest of 2 limes, finely grated, parsley and chillies. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
Mix everything together, squeezing the mixture together in your hands. Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow it to firm up, making it easier to roll into balls.
Put couscous into a bowl and add 450ml of boiling water. Cover and leave for 5 minutes. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and add more water and soak further, if necessary.
Add the fresh coriander and the juice of the 3 limes to the couscous. Mix and season to taste with salt.
Pre-heat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
Shape the meatballs to about 3cm diameter. Spray a frying pan with Frylight and fry the meatballs over quite a high heat, constantly turning until they are uniformly browned.
Place into an ovenproof dish and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Serve on a pile of the couscous, garnished with thin slithers of red chilli, if liked.

Get the info on the Chinese ones and put the info on here and someone will syn it for you!

MUSHROOM COUSCOUS RISOTTO - Serves 1

Syn Free

Half an onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
600ml veg or chicken stock
Button mushrooms sliced
About 3 tbsp. of couscous
Chilli powder to taste

Spray a pan with Frylight and fry the onion and garlic until the onion softens.
Add the mushrooms and any other veg you may want to use. Fry over a moderate heat for about 5 minutes.
Add the couscous and chilli and stir into the onion, garlic and mushroom mixture.
Make the stock and add, a ladleful at a time, adding the next ladleful when the liquid has been absorbed by the couscous. After about 10 minutes the couscous will not want to absorb any more so reduce the final ladleful to the desired consistency. It should look creamy.
Easy but tasty. Suppose you could stir through a HEX cheese, if you liked.

SPICED BRAISED FISH - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 large red onion cut into thin wedges
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of saffron threads (if you have them in)
400g can of chopped tomatoes
2 potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1cm cubes
600g thick fish fillets, cut into chunks of about 3cm - red snapper, cod and haddock are good for this recipe.
2 tbsp. of fresh coriander or parsley leaves to serve

Spray a large pan with Frylight and heat over a moderate heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, or until the onion has softened and slightly caramelised.
Stir in the cumin, ground coriander and saffron and cook for 2 minutes.
Raise the heat a little and stir in the tomatoes and potatoes.
Add 250ml of water, bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Season the fish and add to the pan. Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
Season to taste with salt and stir in the fresh leaves. Serve with couscous or rice.

FISH CURRY - Serves 4

Maximum Syn Value (depending on which curry paste you use) is 1 Syn per serving

1 onion, finely sliced
2cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp. curry paste - most of Patak's are 2 Syns per level tbsp., except Korma - 1.5 and Tandoori - 0.5
Asda's Chosen By You mostly seem to be 1 Syn per level tbsp.
Pinch of crushed dried chilli
2x400g cans of chopped tomatoes
450g white fish fillets, cut into large chunks - sea bream, Pollock, snapper or cod are good for this recipe
200g uncooked shelled prawns
Small handful of coriander leaves
2 limes, quartered, to serve

Spray a large pan with Frylight and fry the onion, ginger and garlic for 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
Add the curry paste and chilli to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, then simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the fish and prawns and gently simmer for 3-4 minutes until the fish is cooked through and the prawns have turned pink.
Scatter with coriander and serve with Basmati rice.

Back