Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Lol. Yes, it's really easy and sometimes I throw in cooked chicken and mushrooms too. I suppose you could add whatever takes your fancy. The thing I usually hate about making risotto is having to add one ladleful of liquid at a time and waiting for it to be absorbed so that's another reason I love this one. :)

12. CHEESY CHICKEN - Serves 1

Syn Free as long as you use the Mozzarella as a HEX

Skinless chicken breast
BGTY Mozzarella cheese HEX
Red pepper
Fresh basil

Preheat oven to Gas Mk 5
Make a slit in the chicken breast and stuff with the Mozzarella, sliced pepper and some fresh basil.
Spray a baking tray with Frylight before placing the chicken breast(s) onto it and spray them with Frylight.
Cook for about 25 mins or until chicken is cooked through.
Could serve with a jacket potato and side salad or SW chips, etc. :D

Last edited:
Lol. Yes, it's really easy and sometimes I throw in cooked chicken and mushrooms too. I suppose you could add whatever takes your fancy. The thing I usually hate about making risotto is having to add one ladleful of liquid at a time and waiting for it to be absorbed so that's another reason I love this one. :)

Yeah, I've always been put off risottos cos they seem a bit high maintenance.

Thank you so much for putting this thread together, such a clever idea for people who aren't confident cooks or don't have the time/money for lots of ingredients etc :)

Great thread. The sw mag has some good recipes but if you haven't got met of the stuff in it costs a bomb. These recipes look great for a tight budget

13. CHICKEN BIRYANI PILAU - Serves 6 but could obviously reduce.

Syn Free

6 skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp. curry powder - strength to suit taste
350g easy-cook wholegrain rice
700ml chicken or veg stock
250g frozen peas

Pre-heat oven to 200C/gas mk 6
Frylight a pan, preferably one that can go in oven to save on washing up!
Cook chicken for about 10 mins or until browned off all over.
Add onion and cook for a further 5 mins.
Stir in curry powder and cook for another minute. Stir in rice and stock and bring to the boil.
Cover and bake for 30 mins or until all liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
Stir in the peas and allow to stand for about 3 mins while they cook through.

This recipe tastes lovely when cold too so would be good for lunch the next day.
I usually serve with a side of broccoli or other green veg. Guess anything would do!

Last edited:
14. CHICKEN AND VEG CURRY - Serves 2

1.5 Syns per serving

100g coconut FF yogurt - Half a Syn, if using Muller Fat Free Greek Yoghurt
2 heaped tbsp. Tandoori spice mix
2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
250ml passata
250g pouch cooked Basmati rice - 2 Syns for Uncle Ben's Express
100g frozen peas
Small bunch of chopped coriander - could probably use dried

Sorry - few more ingredients to this one! :D

Mix 75g of the yogurt with 1 tbsp. of the spice mix and some seasoning. Add the chicken, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour or, preferably, overnight.
Frylight a large pan and heat the remaining spice, adding the onion and a good splash of water so it doesn't stick. Cook for about 5 mins, stirring from time to time.
Add the marinated chicken and cook for about 10 - 15 mins or until cooked through.
Tip in the pepper and passata and simmer for 10 mins.
Tip the cooked rice and the peas into another pan, with a splash of water and heat through until the peas are cooked.
Stir most of the coriander into the passata sauce.
Serve the rice alongside the chicken mixture. Scatter with remaining coriander and with the rest of the yogurt served on the side.

This is a firm fav in our house so I hope you like it too. :)

Last edited:
15. SPICY LENTIL SOUP

Syn Free

A small piece of ginger, peeled and grated - may be OK with dried, never tried it!
1 tsp of cumin seeds
Pinch of chilli flakes, to taste
1 onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
150g red lentils
1 litre of veg stock, from a cube

Spray a large pan with Frylight and cook the spices and ginger for a couple of minutes.
Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes more before adding the lentils and stock.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender.
Blend until smooth or, if you prefer, leave chunky.

This is lovely with a squeeze of lime juice stirred through and a few torn coriander leaves sprinkled over the top. I have also, sometimes added chickpeas just before serving and grilled some lean bacon until crisp, then broken it up and put that over the top too. Whatever you fancy really! :D

Last edited:
16. RICE AND PRAWN ONE-POT - Serves 4 smallish portions OR, if you're ravenous, serves 2 :D

Between 2 it works out at 2.5 Syns per portion, for the chorizo

1 onion, sliced
1 red and 1 green pepper, sliced
50g chorizo, diced
2 cloves of garlic
250g easy-cook Basmati rice (If using wholegrain you'll have to increase the cooking time)
400g chopped tomatoes
200g prawns

Pre-heat the oven to 200c/gas mk 6
Tip the onion, peppers, chorizo and crushed garlic into an ovenproof dish and spray with Frylight. Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
Stir in the rice, tomatoes and 500ml chicken or veg stock.
Add black pepper (I never add salt because of the chorizo but that's down to personal taste) and some smoked paprika or chilli flakes, if wanting more of a kick.
Bake, covered, for another 20 mins, stirring occasionally and checking if anymore liquid needs to be added.
Three minutes before the cooking time is up, stir through the prawns.

I have sometimes added chicken pieces too or substituted peas, if I have no peppers in.

Last edited:
17. OATY COOKIES - makes about 8.

5 Syns for all the cookies, if using the oats as your HEX

1 large ripe banana - 100g
35g quick-cook porridge oats

Spray a baking tray with Frylight or line with non-stick baking paper.
Mash the banana in a bowl with a fork. If you're following the plan to the letter, this is where the 5 Syns come in - still can't get my head round that really! :D
Mix in the porridge oats (and some sweetener, if you like things a bit sweeter) and blob onto the baking tray. Sometimes I add some cinnamon at this point.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/gas mk. 4 on the middle shelf for approx. 15 mins.
Allow to cool on the tray, although they do taste really yummy when they are slightly warm!

Last edited:
NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGE 55 and 98

18. SMOKED SALMON PASTA - serves 4

Syn Free

300g tagliatelle or other dried pasta
150g or more of Quark - Tesco's is best as it's thicker
200g smoked salmon trimmings, cut into small strips - nice and cheap!
Fresh chives, snipped
Seasoning

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, until al dente.
Heat the Quark, with a tiny pinch of salt, gently in a small pan.
Drain the pasta and rinse with boiled water.
Tip the pasta into a warmed serving dish.
Add the salmon and Quark and toss gently together.
Grind over some black pepper and sprinkle with the chives.
Serve immediately.

Last edited:
RICE AND PRAWN ONE-POT - Serves 4 smallish portions OR, if you're ravenous, serves 2 :D Between 2 it works out at 2.5 Syns per portion, for the chorizo

1 onion, sliced
1 red and 1 green pepper, sliced
50g chorizo, diced
2 cloves of garlic
250g easy-cook Basmati rice (If using wholegrain you'll have to increase the cooking time)
400g chopped tomatoes
200g prawns

Pre-heat the oven to 200c/gas mk 6
Tip the onion, peppers, chorizo and crushed garlic into an ovenproof dish and spray with Frylight. Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
Stir in the rice, tomatoes and 500ml chicken or veg stock.
Add black pepper (I never add salt because of the chorizo but that's down to personal taste) and some smoked paprika or chilli flakes, if wanting more of a kick.
Bake, covered, for another 20 mins, stirring occasionally and checking if anymore liquid needs to be added.
Three minutes before the cooking time is up, stir through the prawns.

I have sometimes added chicken pieces too or substituted peas, if I have no peppers in.

Sounds gorgeous,daft question, but do you cook the rice before putting it in the oven? My rice never turns out rite for some reason so I end up using pouches

OATY COOKIES - makes about 8. 5 Syns for all the cookies, if using the oats as your HEX

1 large ripe banana
35g quick-cook porridge oats

Spray a baking tray with Frylight or line with non-stick baking paper.
Mash the banana in a bowl with a fork. If you're following the plan to the letter, this is where the 5 Syns come in - still can't get my head round that really! :D
Mix in the porridge oats and blob onto the baking tray. Sometimes I add some cinnamon at this point.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/gas mk. 4 on the middle shelf.
Allow to cool on the tray, although they do taste really yummy when they are slightly warm!

How long do you cook at 180 for please?

Sounds gorgeous,daft question, but do you cook the rice before putting it in the oven? My rice never turns out rite for some reason so I end up using pouches

Hi Autumn
No, you don't cook the rice before putting it in the oven and, as mentioned, if using wholegrain rice you'll need to up the cooking time until the rice is cooked through. Really, it's best to just give it a stir every 10 mins, if you're uncertain, then you can soon guage when the rice is cooked. Good luck if you do try it - it is tasty. :)

19. BLACKENED CHICKEN - Serves 4

Syn Free

4 skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp. black pepper
125ml Worcestershire Sauce

You could also add chopped onion and garlic at the beginning of the recipe if you wanted to.

Basically, just pour the Worcestershire Sauce and pepper into a pan which is big enough to hold the chicken breasts side by side and simmer for approx. 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The sauce should have thickened a bit by the end of cooking. Turn the chicken occasionally during cooking.

Sounds too basic, I know but it is really tasty. I usually serve with mash and lots of veggies. Hope you like! :D

Last edited:
20. GRILLED CHICKEN WITH RUSTIC MUSTARD CREAM - Serves 4

3.5 Syns for the whole recipe so, roughly, 1 Syn per serving

1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. wholegrain Dijon mustard - 2 Syns
Sprig of rosemary - could use dried, I suppose
Quarter tsp. each of salt and black pepper
4 halved, skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp. Lighter Than Light Mayo - 1.5 Syns

Pre-heat the grill.

Combine 1 tsp. of the mustard, some finely chopped rosemary and the salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spray the chicken with Frylight and brush the mixture evenly over each piece.
Spray the chicken again and grill for approx. 6 mins each side or until cooked through.
While the chicken is cooking, combine the remaining mustard, the mayo and 1 tbsp. water in a small bowl.
Serve the mustard cream alongside the chicken and enjoy with any sides you feel like!

I have also used this cream with steaks and it is yummy! :)

Last edited:

When you add extra ingredients, do you increase the amount of stock? Recipe sounds great, I'm trying it tonight :)

No, I don't increase the stock. Suppose if you added LOTS more ingredients, you'd have to just keep an eye on it towards the end of the cooking time and add some more, if you thought it necessary. Hope you like it. :)

Back