Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

The risotto I tried was beautiful!!! Took some for leftovers and had it cold, sooooo yummy!

Ah, thankyou so much, Doreen. I'm glad you like it. Just hoping we get a few more contributions now so we can build it up a lot more. Think I have a couple more to add yet. :)

The risotto I tried was beautiful!!! Took some for leftovers and had it cold, sooooo yummy!

Great! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Autumn. It's a bit worrying when you post recipes you personally like cos, obviously, you're not sure anyone else will like them too. :S

26. HOT SMOKED SALMON AND DILL SPAGHETTI - Serves 4

4.5 Syns per whole recipe.

160g pack hot smoked salmon
400g good quality dried wholewheat spaghetti
100g frozen petit pois
One small bunch of fresh dill
3 level tbsp. light crème fraiche. W. Watchers is 1.5 Syns per tbsp.

Flake the salmon into bite sized chunks.
Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the pack.
Throw the peas in with the spaghetti for the last 2-3 mins.
While the spaghetti is cooking, remove any tough stalks from the dill, then chop the fronds.
Reserve about 4 tbsp. of the spaghetti water and then drain the pasta and peas and return it all to the pan with the reserved water.
Set over a very low heat, then toss in the salmon, dill, crème fraiche, salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Toss everything together lightly and heat through gently.

Last edited:
Great! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Autumn. It's a bit worrying when you post recipes you personally like cos, obviously, you're not sure anyone else will like them too. :S

I agree, nothing worse than going on about how amazing something is and then someone else tries it and hates it lol

27. CHOCOLATE FROZEN YOGHURT

5 Syns for the entire amount, if using the full 4 teaspoons of chocolate extract but could reduce to taste.

500g 0% fat Greek yoghurt
1 tsp. granulated sweetener
3 level tsps. cocoa powder (preferably Green & Black's for a superior flavour) 3 Syns
4 tsps. Star Kay White chocolate extract from Lakeland. 0.5 Syns per teaspoon and I have checked this with the SW Syns Hotline.

Place the yoghurt in a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Carefully fold the mixture, taking care not to overmix, until all the ingredients are combined.
Pour into a freezer container and freeze until set, ideally overnight.
That's it!! :D

Now, I have never made this so I can't comment on how ice cream like it is but it certainly sounds good enough to eat! :)

* I made this the other night and, I'm afraid, I didn't think it tasted any different to the usual SW ice-cream with yoghurt. Very disappointed. :(

Last edited:
RICE AND PRAWN ONE-POT - Serves 4 smallish portions OR, if you're ravenous, serves 2 :D Between 2 it works out at 2.5 Syns per portion, for the chorizo

1 onion, sliced
1 red and 1 green pepper, sliced
50g chorizo, diced
2 cloves of garlic
250g easy-cook Basmati rice (If using wholegrain you'll have to increase the cooking time)
400g chopped tomatoes
200g prawns

Pre-heat the oven to 200c/gas mk 6
Tip the onion, peppers, chorizo and crushed garlic into an ovenproof dish and spray with Frylight. Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
Stir in the rice, tomatoes and 500ml chicken or veg stock.
Add black pepper (I never add salt because of the chorizo but that's down to personal taste) and some smoked paprika or chilli flakes, if wanting more of a kick.
Bake, covered, for another 20 mins, stirring occasionally and checking if anymore liquid needs to be added.
Three minutes before the cooking time is up, stir through the prawns.

I have sometimes added chicken pieces too or substituted peas, if I have no peppers in.

Had this tonight for dinner, deeeeelish!! OH served it up and I thought he had used the whole thing, as the portion was v generous, but he had only used half of it, so there are leftovers for tomorrow, result! Is it 5 syns for the whole recipe?

S grateful for this thread as I only started cooking when I started SW, and my oh is away all next week, so around five of my seven dinners for the week are various things from this thread lol :)

CHOCOLATE FROZEN YOGHURT - serves 4. 0.5 Syns each serving

500g 0% fat Greek yoghurt
1 tsp. granulated sweetener
3 level tsps. cocoa powder (preferably Green & Black's for a superior flavour) 3 Syns
4 tsps. chocolate extract - can be bought from Amazon but the one from Lakeland, where it is as cheap as Amazon, is supposed to taste much better.

Place the yoghurt in a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Carefully fold the mixture, taking care not to overmix, until all the ingredients are combined.
Pour into a freezer container and freeze until set, ideally overnight.
That's it!! :D

Now, I have never made this so I can't comment on how ice cream like it is but it certainly sounds good enough to eat! :)

Ooooooooo sounds lush, I will def be trying this!!

So glad you like the recipes, Autumn. :) It makes it worthwhile doing this thread, even if it only gives suggestions to a few people. We're having the prawn one-pot for lunch today. Yes, between 2 it's 2.5 Syns per portion so 5 for the whole recipe. As suggested on the new ice cream recipe, (I've just added a message to the bottom of it) just don't make it yet as I want to double check the Syn value of chocolate extract. I'd hate to be responsible for sabotaging anyone's weight loss! :D

So glad you like the recipes, Autumn. :) It makes it worthwhile doing this thread, even if it only gives suggestions to a few people. We're having the prawn one-pot for lunch today. Yes, between 2 it's 2.5 Syns per portion so 5 for the whole recipe. As suggested on the new ice cream recipe, (I've just added a message to the bottom of it) just don't make it yet as I want to double check the Syn value of chocolate extract. I'd hate to be responsible for sabotaging anyone's weight loss! :D

Rice and prawn one pot sounds great. I have just discovered Chorizo and wanted something to put it in.

Today tho I have some cooked chicken and am going to do a `stir fry` with onions corgettes etc.

Again thanks for this thread. I am still lookingfor something to put on.

INDEX PAGES 41 AND 73

Last edited:
Thanks, Doreen. That would be great if you do find something, just to bulk it out a bit. The stir-fry sounds good. I've only recently started using chorizo too and, for the low amount of Syns when divided up, it adds a wonderful smoky flavour. We're having a prawn risotto today, after a long walk round a country park in this glorious weather. :)

CHICKEN BIRYANI PILAU - Serves 6 but could obviously reduce.

6 skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp. curry powder - strength to suit taste
350g easy-cook wholegrain rice
700ml chicken or veg stock
250g frozen peas

Pre-heat oven to 200C/gas mk 6
Frylight a pan, preferably one that can go in oven to save on washing up!
Cook chicken for about 10 mins or until browned off all over.
Add onion and cook for a further 5 mins.
Stir in curry powder and cook for another minute. Stir in rice and stock and bring to the boil.
Cover and bake for 30 mins or until all liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
Stir in the peas and allow to stand for about 3 mins while they cook through.

This recipe tastes lovely when cold too so would be good for lunch the next day.
I usually serve with a side of broccoli or other green veg. Guess anything would do!

This is in the oven now....smells yummy

Oh, great. Let's hope it tastes as good as it smells then! It should do - it's yummy. Thanks for the feedback too, it's good to know people are actually trying some of the recipes.
:)

28. NO-COOK CHICKEN COUSCOUS - Serves 2 (easily doubled)

Syn Free

100g plain couscous
100g frozen peas
200ml hot stock, chicken or veg.
200g packet cooked chicken pieces or left over cooked chicken
1 large tomato, chopped
1 tsp. lemon juice

Tip the couscous into a heatproof bowl with the peas. Pour over the boiling stock, cover to keep the heat in and soak for 5 mins.
Tear the chicken into bite-sized strips, then toss half of it on top of the soaked couscous. Mix in the tomato pieces (and anything else you fancy - I sometimes add cooked mushrooms, chorizo, Synned of course, sweetcorn, peppers,etc)
Tip in the lemon juice and season with pepper. You probably won't need salt, especially if you decide to add chorizo.
Serve between two plates and top with the remaining chicken strips.

This is really quick, easy but tasty.

Last edited:
29. THAI CHICKEN CAKES WITH SWEET CHILLI SAUCE - Serves 2-3.

Only Syns are for each level tbsp. sweet chilli sauce used - 1.5 Syns

2 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped or crushed
Small piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped (I cheat and use three quarters of a teaspoon of ground ginger)
1 small onion, roughly chopped
4 tbsp. fresh coriander or 1-2 tsp. ground coriander - obviously, fresh tastes better
1 green chilli, seeded and roughly chopped

Toss the chicken, garlic, ginger, onion, coriander and chilli into a food processor and season well. Blitz until the chicken is finely ground and everything is well mixed.
Use your hands to shape into six small cakes. Fry them in Frylight over a medium heat for about 6-8 minutes, turning once.
Serve hot with sweet chilli sauce, lime wedges, shredded spring onion and red chilli, if you're brave enough! :D

Last edited:
30. OVEN BAKED RISOTTO -

This is supposed to serve 4 as a main meal but, so far, it never has done. I would say 2-3 portions or serves 4 as a side dish.

Syn Free if you use the cheese as a HEX.

This is my absolute favourite risotto. It is creamy, tasty and filling, Syn Free and no standing stirring, just bung it in the oven. :D It is also really flexible so you can ring the changes however you want to.

250g smoked bacon, cut into bite size pieces and all visible fat removed
1 onion, chopped
300g risotto/Arborio rice - I've never used anything else and, because this turns out so creamily perfect, I wouldn't even chance using a substitute
150g cherry tomatoes, halved
700ml hot chicken stock - from a cube is fine
2 HEX cheeses - I always use mature Cheddar but the original recipe suggests Parmesan.

Pre-heat the oven to 180/gas 6.
Fry the bacon in an ovenproof dish until crisp. Spray dish with a little Frylight.
Stir in the chopped onion and cook for 3-4 mins. until softening. I always tend to cook the onion in a small bowl with a teaspoon of water, covered, in the microwave on High for
3 mins, drain, then add to the bacon. It softens it really well.
Tip in the rice and mix together well.
Tip in the cherry tomatoes and hot stock. Stir and grind in some black pepper. You don't really need salt because of the bacon.
Cover and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-30 mins. Stir after 20 mins to see if all the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove from the oven, stir through most of the cheese and then top with the remainder. ENJOY! :D

We're having this tonight and I'm serving it with peas, roasted butternut squash/garlic and roast tomatoes on the vine.
When I've made it on the numerous occasions before I've sometimes added shredded, cooked chicken towards the end of the cooking time and other things I've added are sliced mushrooms, cooked along with the bacon, courgettes, ham, sweetcorn, peppers ..... The list is up to you. I once made it as a side dish to accompany seared tuna steaks but, I guess, it'd go with most things. The original recipe had butter and white wine in it but it honestly needs nothing else.

Hope you love this as much as my family do. Can't wait for tea now! :)

Last edited:
This thread is a brilliant idea, nothing more annoying when you've got to buy about 8 different things or something new to just use a bit in a recipe! Will be adding some vegetarian ones once I'm on a proper computer as no recipes on phone...keep up the good work, really hoping it takes off big time :-D

SAUCY BEEF STIR FRY - Ready in 30 mins. Serves 3. Easy to make.

500g stirfry beef strips (could use chicken or pork)
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Small bunch of spring onions, sliced diagonally

Put the beef in a medium non-metallic bowl and cover with the vinegar, soy and Worcestershire sauces. Leave to marinate for 20 mins or overnight.
Heat a small wok or frying pan (no need to spray with Frylight) until it's very hot. Tip in the beef, marinade and spring onions and stir fry for 4 minutes. Could add some fresh or frozen peppers after 2 mins, if you like.
Serve with boiled rice. Could toss a bag of mixed salad leaves through.

Got this marinating at the minute, I'm excited!

Back