Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

chocko1 hope you had a lovely holiday. Nice to see you back.

MEXICAN BEEF STEW - Serves 4

Syn Free

1-3 dried Chipotle chillies - I got mine from a large Tesco and they really are the best for flavour but, if you struggle to find them, you could use Scotch Bonnet chillies instead. Could use Chipotle paste too but don't forget to Syn it!
1 kg chuck or braising steak, cut into cubes of about 5cm
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
500ml passata
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp chopped oregano leaves
1 bay leaf

Pour hot water over the chillies in a bowl and leave to soak for 30 minutes or until soft. Turn them halfway through so they soak on both sides. Drain, then cut off the stems and slit the chillies open. Remove the seeds and veins before chopping finely.
Spray a large pan with Frylight and heat over a high heat. Brown half the meat for 8-10 mins. Remove and repeat with the remaining meat, re-spraying the pan, if necessary.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for two more minutes.
Return all the meat to the pan and pour in the passata. Add the vinegar, oregano, chopped chillies and bay leaf. Season to taste.
Cover and simmer on the hob, stirring occasionally for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the beef is tender and the passata well reduced. Good with boiled rice.

I tend to throw in any veg I have too just before simmering or, if I have any, I stir some baby spinach through for the last few minutes, just until it wilts.

Thanks dirtydancing! Yes, it was lovely but have to get back to eating sensibly now! :( Haven't weighed myself yet! :O xx

Kathy

PORK, CHORIZO AND CANNELLINI BEAN STEW - Serves 5

3.5 Syns per serving

850g pork shoulder or loin
400g tin Cannellini beans
250g Chorizo - 16.5 Syns
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
2 large red onions
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp smoked paprika
Half a tsp of dried chilli flakes or to taste

Firstly, slice the pork into strips, season and fry in a large pan until browned all over. Remove from the pan and drain off any excess oil.
Add the cubed chorizo to the pan, brown for two minutes and then add the roughly chopped onions, paprika, chilli flakes and garlic. Fry for a further five minutes or until the onion has softened.
Once the onions have softened, add the pork back into the pan along with half a pint of water and all the tomatoes. Season to taste.
Simmer for one hour on a low heat with the lid on, adding more water if it looks necessary. After one hour, add the cannellini beans, leave the lid off and continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes.

Gorgeous served with a HEX slice of crusty bread!

VEG AND CHEESY RICE BAKE - Serves 4

Syn Free if using the cheese as HEX's. If not, don't forget to Syn it.

1 onion, chopped
2 courgettes, sliced
1 aubergine, diced
450g fresh tomatoes, chopped or a 400g can of chopped tomatoes
200g risotto rice
2 eggs
140g cheddar, grated

Spray a large pan with Frylight and cook the onion for about 10 minutes, until softened and lightly golden.
Add the courgettes and aubergines. Fry until golden brown.
Add the tomatoes and some seasoning, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes (remove the lid for the final 15 minutes if using fresh tomatoes).
Heat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the pack instructions until tender. Drain and mix with the eggs and two thirds of the cheese.
Put the courgette and tomato mixture into an ovenproof dish. Spoon the rice mixture over and smooth it out. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbling and golden.

I haven't actually made this recipe but thought it sounded quite nice. Thought you could add in some garlic and mushrooms maybe and substitute some BNS for the aubergine, if preferred.

FRUIT AND CRUNCHY BRAN POTS - Serves 1

1 Syn, if using cereal as a HEX but 3, if using the stated 10g of Fruit and Fibre instead. I love this for a refreshing breakfast change.

100g mixed fresh fruit (chopped melon, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, etc)
150g FF yoghurt
10 g Fruit and Fibre cereal - 2 Syns (or a weighed amount of a HEX cereal of your choice, if preferred)
1 tsp runny honey - 1 Syn

Top the fruit with the yoghurt, place the cereal on top and drizzle the honey over. Eat immediately.

Last edited:
Fish Cakes

Serve with steamed veggies, or a tossed salad.

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4

I round it up to say they are 1/2 syn per fishcake

• 2 tins of tuna
  • 1 onion diced finely or you can use spring onions.
  • 1 large sweet potato.
  • 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (synned 1.5 per tablespoon)
  • Breadcrumbs (enough to be able to shape the fish into cakes) can use a hex b
Method:

1. Put sweet potato in a pot of boiling water and cook until tender. Mash well. Drain tuna well and add to mashed sweet potato.
  2. Add in the chopped onion and sweet chili sauce. Mix together well.
  3. Add enough breadcrumbs to make patties. Season with salt and pepper. Mold the mixture into patties.
  4. Heat some frylight in frying pan and cook the fish cakes for 5 -7 minutes, turning only once, until hot and golden.

made this using salmon instead of tuna, was delicious.

Just been looking through all your amazing recipes !!
I have been looking for inspiration as I am back on IT on Sunday - got a few naughty meals planned over next few days. After losing two and a half stone following SW from home earlier this year I have seriously fell off the wagon and put a stone bk on , boo :( .
as a keen cook you have inspired me to try some of your recipes to keep me motivated and on plan.
by the way , I love the fact that you state a recipe can serve 4 but then say (really for 3!!) hilarious. Glad to find someone else with a healthy appetite and not afraid to admit it !!!

Ah, thanks so much, both of you. I hope you enjoy any you try. I must admit, Kitty, I've done SW twice in the past, losing 3 stone both times and then stupidly put it all back on again. Since then, with the introduction of Extra Easy, I'm so much more inspired with it all and find I'm actually enjoying it. As I've said before, I've rediscovered my love of cooking and it's making me try new things that I wouldn't have done before, when I was just stuck in a rut. Obviously, when you're pushed for time, it can be a pain to have to cook from scratch, can't it? Because of this I always try to make sure I've got something in the freezer or fridge that won't take long, such as Tesco or Sainsbury's Liver and Bacon - one of them is completely Syn Free and the other is low in Syns or some salmon fillets that I just fry (Frylight) in a pan and serve with some new potatoes and peas, just anything easy to stay on track.
Good luck to both of you. x

Kathy

CREAMY PESTO AND CHICKEN PASTA - Serves 1

3 Syns if using Red Pesto or 3.5, if using Green.

85g wholewheat pasta shapes
Half a red pepper, chopped
Some halved cherry tomatoes - as many as you like
1 cooked, skinless chicken breast, sliced
1 tbsp. red or green pesto
2 tbsp. low fat crème fraiche - Sainsbury's BGTY - 0.5 Syns

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
Meanwhile, mix the pepper with the halved tomatoes and sliced chicken breast.
Drain and rinse the pasta.
Mix together the pesto with the crème fraiche, stir through the pasta, then toss through the veg and chicken.
Eat immediately or pack into an air-tight container and chill.
Good served on a bed of crisp salad. Could maybe sprinkle with a HEX of grated cheese.

CREAMY SALMON AND CHIVE BOWS - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

350g wholewheat farfalle pasta
200g tub of light soft cheese - 12 Syns
Squeeze of lemon juice
145g pack of smoked salmon trimmings
Bunch of chives, snipped

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving some of the water and tip the pasta back into the pan.
Add the soft cheese, lemon juice and salmon with some black pepper and mix well but carefully.
Add a little of the saved water to make a creamy sauce consistency and gently heat through.
Remove from the heat and add most of the chives.
Serve in warmed bowls with the remainder of the chives scattered over.

HOISIN PORK WITH GARLIC AND GINGER - Serves 4

2 Syns per serving

500g pork loin, sliced and all visible fat removed
4 tbsp. hoisin sauce - 8 Syns
One and a half tbsp. light soy sauce
350g Tenderstem broccoli
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
5 cm piece of ginger, shredded - could probably use dried ginger
1 bunch of spring onions, halved
350g bok choi, halved

Mix the pork, hoisin and soy sauce in a bowl. Heat the grill to high, shake off the excess sauce, then grill the pork for 5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until cooked. Keep warm.
Microwave the broccoli with 4 tbsp. of water in a microwaveable bowl covered in pierced cling-film, on Full for 3 minutes. Boil, if preferred.
Spray a wok or large frying pan liberally with Frylight and heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add the spring onions and bok choi, then stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
Tip in the drained broccoli with a dash of soy sauce and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes more, until the veg is warmed through.
Serve the pork with the greens and any resting juices from the pork.
Good served with rice or noodles - don't forget to check some noodles for Syns!

Got this from slimmingeats.com

Cherry Tomato & Basil Pasta

serves 2
Ingredients

• 400g of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
  • chicken stock
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • handful of basil, finely chopped
  • 160g of pasta, uncooked
  • 56g of parmesan (2xHEa’s)
  • low calorie spray
  • salt and black pepper, to season

Instructions

• Spray a deep frying pan over a medium high heat with some low calorie spray.
  • Add the onion and fry until softened. Add the garlic and cherry tomatoes, season with a little salt and black pepper and fry for a approx. 5 mins.
  • Add the tomato paste and a little chicken stock, just enough to create a sauce, you don’t want it too dry or too liquidy. Simmer on a low heat for approx. 15-20 mins until tomatoes have completely softened.
  • In the meantime, add the pasta to a saucepan of boiling hot water and cook until al dente (reserve some of the pasta cooking liquid)
  • Stir in the chopped basil to the sauce and then add in then cooked pasta and stir to completely coat all the pasta.
  • Sprinkle in the parmesan cheese and add a few tablespoons of the reserved pasta water and give a gentle stir.
  • Serve and Enjoy!!

Thanks for adding, celtic-chick. Slimming Eats is a good site, isn't it? This sounds lovely. Will give it a go. x

Kathy

CHICKEN SALAD WITH CURRY DRESSING - Serves 2

2 Syns per serving

2 skinless, chicken breasts
200ml 0% fat Greek yoghurt
2 tsp mild curry powder
Juice of half a lemon
Handful of chopped mint leaves (optional)
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
100g cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
10 peanuts, crushed - 4 Syns

Put the chicken in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then turn to very low so barely simmering for 15 minutes, until cooked.
Drain, then shred the chicken.
Mix the yoghurt, curry powder, lemon juice, most of the mint and some seasoning.
Toss the chicken and chickpeas in half the dressing.
Put onto a bed of crisp salad and scatter over the tomatoes, onion, peanuts and remaining mint and dressing.

Haven't personally made this but thought it sounded refreshing for a warm day. :)

Back