Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

MEATBALLS WITH TOMATO SAUCE - Serves 4

Syn Free

450g extra lean pork mince
70g semolina - Syn Free (I've checked! :D)
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp. tomato puree
20g pack of flat parsley
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes

For the meatballs, place the mince, semolina, 2 garlic cloves and tomato puree in a bowl.
Remove the leaves from the parsley (retain the stalks) and finely chop. Add to the bowl with some salt and pepper.
Mix well and, once well combined, form into 16 little meatballs and place on a plate in the fridge for an hour or so, time permitting. Otherwise you can cook them straight away.
For the tomato sauce, spray a pan with Frylight, then gently fry the onion and remaining garlic cloves until softened, then add the tomatoes and parsley stalks.
Cook over a low heat, uncovered, for about 20 minutes then tip into a blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste. Place in a pan.
Fry the meatballs in a non-stick frying pan until golden brown and cooked through - about 10 minutes, turning now and then.

Lovely served with whole-wheat spaghetti with the tomato sauce poured over and a HEX serving of Parmesan grated over the meatballs.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but double checked syns online and it is saying

Semolina, 25g dry 4 4 4

OMG! So glad you checked, dirtydancing. Thanks so much for alerting me, I'll change it right away! Don't know how I messed that up - must be old age coming on. :D xx

Kathy

SPICY CHICKEN PASTA - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

150g chorizo, roughly diced - 6.5 Syns per 100g so Synned it up very slightly
1 onion, sliced
1 yellow pepper, diced
4 skinless chicken breasts, roughly diced
1 tbsp. tomato puree
200ml hot chicken stock
Leaves from a few rosemary sprigs, plus extra to serve
300g whole-wheat penne

Heat a deep, non-stick frying pan over a high heat and add the chorizo.Cook for 3 minutes until lightly browned and the oil has begun to run.
Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onion, pepper and chicken to the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the tomato puree and cook for one minute. Add the tomato, stock and rosemary, bring to the boil then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cooked chorizo. Simmer for a further 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced a little. Season to taste.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions or until al dente. Drain, rinse and divide between 4 warmed plates/bowls and top with the chicken mixture.

Obviously, add in lots more veg, if liked and it's also yummy with a HEX cheese grated over!

PRAWN AND CHICKPEA BALTI - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, when using Patak's Balti paste

300g raw tiger prawns
195g can sweetcorn, drained
100g can chickpeas, drained or can use lentils
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
1 large onion, diced
3 tbsp. Balti curry paste - 6 Syns - based on Patak's but Asda Chosen By You works out at only 3 Syns
1 tbsp. fresh coriander, chopped

Spray a deep sided frying pan well with Frylight. Add the onion and pepper and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the curry paste and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
Reduce the heat, add the tomatoes and chickpeas and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add the prawns and sweetcorn and stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes, or until all the prawns have turned pink.
Stir in the coriander.

Lovely served with a warmed, Synned naan bread.

Last edited:
CHILLI PORK STIR-FRY - Serves 4

Syn Free

225g can bamboo shoots, drained
500g extra lean pork mince
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed - could add extra
1 tsp chilli powder or more if you prefer it spicier
2 tbsp. soy sauce

Spray a deep-sided frying pan liberally with Frylight and heat.
Add the garlic, chilli powder and mince and stir-fry for five minutes or until the mince is browned.
Add the onion and red pepper and stir-fry for a further 3 minutes. I sometimes cook the onion in a bowl with a tbsp. of water, covered, in the microwave on High for 2-3 minutes, prior to adding it to the pan, as it softens it much more easily.
Then add the bamboo shoots and tomatoes and stir-fry over a high heat for a further 2 or 3 minutes.
Stir in the soy sauce and serve.

Hi I just wanted to say how lovely this thread is. Ive gone through the whole thing and printed lots of recipies off. Ive recently started SW extra easy and this is going to help me so much! Last night I made my first quark quiche from your thread and it was absolutely gorgeous. I want tomorrow to hurry up so I can have the other half!

Keep up with the fab recipes.

Rachel x

Thanks so much, Rachel - that's really sweet of you. It's lovely to know the recipes are coming in handy and being helpful for some people. So glad you liked the quiche too. x

Kathy

BLT PASTA SALAD - Serves 4

Slightly under 1 Syn per serving

250g whole-wheat penne pasta
200g bacon, all fat removed and diced
4 level tbsp. lightest mayo - 3 Syns
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
Half a punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small clove of garlic, crushed

Cook the pasta, according to pack instructions, drain and rinse under the cold tap. Leave until cold.
Meanwhile, cook the bacon, along with the garlic clove, in a non-stick pan until beginning to crisp. Allow to go cold.
In a large bowl, blend together the mayo and vinegar until of a smooth consistency. Add the tomatoes with the cold bacon and pasta. The pasta will absorb some of the dressing so don't worry if it seems too much.
Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Serve spooned over a bag of salad leaves.

Could double up on the dressing if you like (don't forget to Syn up) and I sometimes stir through a tsp of mustard too. Occasionally add sliced mushrooms in too.

VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM CHILLI - Serves 6

Syn Free

2 medium onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. chilli powder (or to taste)
Quarter tsp cayenne pepper
600g Portabello mushrooms, cut into 2cm chunks
2x400g cans chopped tomatoes
500g canned red kidney beans

Spray a large frying pan liberally with Frylight and cook onions until they have softened - I sometimes start them off in the microwave to save them from sticking.
Stir in the garlic, chilli powder and cayenne pepper.
Stir the mushrooms in and continue cooking, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes, or until tender and any liquid has evaporated.
Pour the tomatoes and kidney beans into the pan. Season to taste. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.

CAJUN SAUSAGE AND BAKED BEAN POT - Serves 4

Syn Free

Pack of 8 Syn Free SW sausages
1 large red onion, sliced
400g can baked beans
4 tsp Schwartz Perfect Shake Herb + Spice Blend

Fry the sausages in a non-stick pan until browned.
Add the onion and fry until softened - best started off in the microwave first.
Drain any excess oil before adding the remaining ingredients and bringing to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Good as a quick week day meal, served with jacket potatoes.

Last edited:
CHICKEN AND HERB BAKE - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts
50g Philadelphia Light Garlic and Herb soft cheese
250g cherry tomatoes
1 HEX bread blitzed into breadcrumbs

Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Spread the cheese over the chicken breasts and sprinkle each breast with the breadcrumbs.
Spray a baking dish with Frylight and place the chicken breasts in it, along with the tomatoes. Spray all the food with Frylight and season the tomatoes with black pepper.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on size of the chicken breasts, or until thoroughly cooked through.

Also good with canned cherry tomatoes, instead of fresh, as it goes a bit more saucy. Sometimes add in mushrooms and peppers to the baking dish. Lovely with salad and new potatoes.

SWEET CHILLI SAUSAGE BAKE - Serves 4

Just under 2 Syns per serving

8 BGTY sausages - 0.5 Syn each
2 tbsp. sweet chilli dipping sauce
1 small/medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
2 small red onions, peeled and quartered
12 cherry tomatoes

Put the sausages in a bowl with the chilli sauce and move around until coated. Tip into a sprayed, large roasting tray.
Toss the bns and onion in with the sausages.
Place the cherry tomatoes around the tray and spray it all well with Frylight.
Season with salt and black pepper and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the sausages are golden and cooked through and the veg is tender.

To make peeling the BNS easier, cook on high in the microwave for about 3 minutes before peeling. I can't take credit for this tip as it was one of the lovely Minimins saviours who came to my rescue with it! I'd avoided BNS like the plague because I couldn't face peeling it, before being told that pearl of wisdom! :D

BERRY AND YOGHURT CRUSH - Serves 6

2 Syns per serving

500g frozen Summer Fruits - 7.5 Syns when blended!
500g FF Greek Style yoghurt
2 tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns

Tip the frozen fruit into a food processor. Add the yoghurt and honey and blend for about 10 seconds or until the mixture is very thick and almost smooth but still with a few larger chunks of fruit left in.
Serve immediately.

SWEET CHILLI SAUSAGE BAKE - Serves 4

Just under 2 Syns per serving

8 BGTY sausages - 0.5 Syn each
2 tbsp. sweet chilli dipping sauce
1 small/medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
2 small red onions, peeled and quartered
12 cherry tomatoes

Put the sausages in a bowl with the chilli sauce and move around until coated. Tip into a sprayed, large roasting tray.
Toss the bns and onion in with the sausages.
Place the cherry tomatoes around the tray and spray it all well with Frylight.
Season with salt and black pepper and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the sausages are golden and cooked through and the veg is tender.

To make peeling the BNS easier, cook on high in the microwave for about 3 minutes before peeling. I can't take credit for this tip as it was one of the lovely Minimins saviours who came to my rescue with it! I'd avoided BNS like the plague because I couldn't face peeling it, before being told that pearl of wisdom! :D

Hope I am not repeating myself, no need to peel BNS. Of course take the seeds out. I even leave the skin on in a casserole. You don`t even know but as Pete says MoreFibre

BBQ POTATOES - GRILL OR OVEN

Serves 6, if you really want to share! :D

8 Syns for whole amount

1 tbsp. butter, melted - 5.5 Syns
1 tbsp. chilli powder or to taste
1 tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
Quarter tsp garlic powder
2lbs medium sized potatoes, cut into wedges - red potatoes are good

Preheat BBQ or oven - 200C/Gas 6.
In a large bowl combine the chilli powder, honey, garlic powder, a little pepper and the melted butter.
Spray the potatoes all over with Frylight and add to the bowl, tossing to coat.
Spray a large baking dish well with Frylight and spoon the potatoes onto this.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender.
If cooking on the BBQ - wrap and seal in good quality foil, place on BBQ grill and cook for about 30 minutes or until tender.

SUNSHINE PORK AND POTATOES - Ready in 1 and a quarter to 1 and a half hours. Serves 4 and is easy to make.

750g new potatoes
500g on the vine tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
3-4 sprigs of rosemary
4 pork chops or steaks

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Wash potatoes but don't peel. Cut into thickish slices then cook in boiling water for 6-8 mins until almost tender. Drain. Slice the tomatoes to the same thickness. Chop the garlic, then strip the rosemary from its stalks and chop the leaves fairly finely.
Spray the base of a shallow ovenproof dish with Frylight. Arrange rows of potatoes and tomatoes across the base and season. Sprinkle over the garlic and half the rosemary.
Spray Frylight over the veg and bake for 15 mins, then sit the pork on top. Season and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary. Return to the oven for 35-40 mins, until the pork and potatoes are tender.
Simple but very tasty.

This sounds amazing!!

Back