Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

MEXICAN POTATOES - Serves 3

2 Syns per serving

800g potatoes, cut into cubes
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
Half tsp of mild chilli powder
Half tsp of paprika
1 tsp cumin
Half tsp cayenne pepper

Boil the potatoes for 7-8 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion for about 8 minutes.
Mix the garlic and spices together and fry for another 2 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and add to the pan with the onion mixture.
Turn the heat up and shake the potatoes around so they are covered with the onions and spices.
Cook for 10-15 minutes until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.

I have tried this with Frylight but it's nowhere near as good and I don't think 2 Syns each is bad for these, as they are really yummy! :)

VERY SIMPLE CHICKEN CURRY FOR THE SLOW COOKER - no messing in the morning, just throw everything in and switch on! :) Serves 4

Approx. 3.5 Syns per serving

400ml can of Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 14.5 Syns
400g can of chopped tomatoes
Half an onion, chopped
4 tbsp. of your favourite curry powder (more or less is fine too)
500g skinless chicken breast, diced

Put everything in your slow cooker. Stir and cook on Low for 6-8 hours.

Could add in some chopped peppers to up the veg and you could also stir some baby leaf spinach in, right at the end of the cooking time - just long enough for it to wilt.

Will deffo make this thanks

Had the sunshine pork on page 1 yesterday. It was delicious and as you said so simple.

So glad you enjoyed the pork, Doreen and that you enjoyed the Cajun turkey burgers, Laura. It's always good to know, especially when it can be a bit nerve-racking recommending recipes - '0ne mans meat, another mans poison' springs to mind (for those of you old enough to know what I'm going on about)!! :D

Kathy

MACKEREL WITH GARLIC, LEMON AND CHILLI - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

4-6 mackerel fillets (un-smoked)
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tbsp. olive oil - tried with Frylight and it spoils the taste, in my opinion anyway.
A good pinch of salt and cracked black pepper

Place the fillets on a large plate and drizzle over the olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon, on both sides.
Sprinkle over the chilli and garlic and gently rub into the fish on both sides.
Season and cook in a hot non-stick frying pan, over a high heat, for 3 minutes each side or until cooked through, depending on their size. Halfway through cooking squeeze a little more lemon juice over.

Lovely served with a salad and some tomato relish. There is a recipe for Syn Free relish on page 50.
THANKS AGAIN TO NANNY DOREEN FOR MAKING IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO NOW REFER TO PAGE NUMBERS! :D

TRAY ROASTED PORK LOIN - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using Parmesan as part of your HEX

4 pork loin steaks, all visible fat removed
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. of freshly grated Parmesan
350g cherry tomatoes, on the vine
1 handful of fresh basil leaves

Pre-heat the oven to 170C/Gas 5.
Wash and pat dry the steaks.
Spread a little of the crushed garlic over the pork and season with a small amount of salt and some black pepper, on both sides.
Place in a shallow roasting dish and carefully sprinkle 1 tbsp. of Parmesan over each steak. Spray carefully with Frylight.
Bake for 15 minutes, before basting with any cooking juices and arranging the cherry tomatoes around the pork.
Continue cooking for a further 15 minutes until the pork is tender and the tomatoes, slightly soft.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the basil leaves, cover with foil and stand for 5 minutes before serving.

So glad you enjoyed the pork, Doreen and that you enjoyed the Cajun turkey burgers, Laura. It's always good to know, especially when it can be a bit nerve-racking recommending recipes - '0ne mans meat, another mans poison' springs to mind (for those of you old enough to know what I'm going on about)!! :D

Kathy

Haha! Thanks very much for sharing so many yummy recipes! I even give them to my son who's 1 (I kept the Cajun out of his ha!) got a load of recipes that need printing off from this thread xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have not tried this yet but am told it is nice, not oversweet

CHOCOLATE CAKE - 8 SYNS - SERVES 8

Cake
6 eggs
25g self raising flour
2 level tbs cocoa powder
1 cap vanilla essence.

Filling
Tub quark
1 highlight or options chocolate
1tsp vanilla essence

Whisk eggs, sweetner & essence in a large bowl until mixture triples.
Apparently best with electric mixer for about 10mins
Then sieve dry ingredients and fold in with a metal spoon. (not the options choc)
Divide into 2 sponge tins and bake for 12 mins, 180, gas 4.

Mix the quark with the options and sandwich together and put some on top when cake has cooled

Can decorate with choc buttons, but these will have to be synned

Last edited:
PULLED PORK - makes about 10-12 sandwiches/rolls, with plenty of meat in each one.

6 Syns for the whole recipe

4lb pork shoulder, bone in and brought to room temperature before putting in the oven.
One and a half teaspoons of dried chilli flakes
One and a half tbsp. of tomato puree
2 tbsp. light brown sugar - 6 Syns
1 tbsp. rock salt
1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. paprika
2 pinches of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. ground black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Score the pork fat (don't worry, you'll be removing the fat later) with a sharp knife, making deep incisions that will let the rub melt right into the meat.
Make the rub by adding all the ingredients, except the pork, into a mixing bowl.
Spray the rub really well with Frylight and mix it in.
Rub onto the pork, all over, making sure lots of it gets into the scored slashes. Place in a deep roasting tin, fat side up and add a tbsp. of water. Put in the oven for 25 minutes.
After this time, remove the pork from the oven, turn the temperature down to 130C/just below the number 1 mark on gas ovens, wrap some foil over the tray and put it back in the oven for four and a half hours. Turn the pork around every hour.
After the four and a half hours, remove the foil from the tray and turn the heat back up to 220C/Gas 7. Cook the pork for a further 20 minutes.
Remove the pork from the oven and cover with fresh foil. Allow it to rest for 30 minutes in its juices.
After it has rested, cut off the fat. It'll come off easily if you slide the knife in between the fat and the meat.
After this, get two forks and begin to pull the pork apart. The meat should easily come apart and away from the bone.

Lovely served on a HEX bread roll with a bit of Synned mayo and some salad.

EASY BEEFBURGERS - Makes 8.

0.5 Syns for the whole recipe

750g extra-lean minced beef
Half a beaten egg
Good pinch of mixed herbs
1 tsp of sweet chilli sauce - 0.5 Syns
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Seasoning

Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, cover and chill for an hour in the fridge.
Form the mixture into burger shapes, either with your hand or with a burger maker.
Grill on both sides until thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely served on HEX rolls with salad or with egg, SW chips and baked beans or with a jacket potato, stuffed with a HEX portion of grated cheese and baked beans or spaghetti in tomato sauce, etc.

CASSOULET - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

8 Syn Free SW sausages
1 onion, finely chopped
4 rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed and the lean part, chopped
100ml of dry white wine - 6 Syns
290ml hot vegetable stock
400g can of baked beans
400g can of Flageolet or Butter Beans
4 sprigs of thyme
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Pre-heat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
Spray a heatproof casserole dish well with Frylight and cook the sausage chunks, onion, garlic and bacon pieces, until the onion has softened.
Add the white wine and bubble rapidly until reduced.
Add the stock, beans and thyme. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and place in the oven and cook for one and a half hours, or until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
Remove the sprigs of thyme and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.

I love this with a HEX chunk of crusty bread and, sometimes, if I'm not using it for anything else, I sprinkle some HEX grated cheese over for the last five minutes of cooking.

Last edited:
PESTO STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving, if using the Mozzarella as part of a HEX

125g ball of light Mozzarella, torn into small pieces
4 tbsp. green pesto - 12 Syns
4 skinless chicken breasts
8 rashers of smoked bacon, all visible fat removed
8 cherry tomatoes

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Cut a slit into the side of each chicken breast and stuff with the pesto/Mozzarella mixture.
Place two halved cherry tomatoes inside each breast.
Wrap each chicken breast with two rashers of the bacon.
Season, spray with Frylight and place on a baking tray. Roast the chicken for 25 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely served with roasted vegetables (especially cooked with a couple of splashes of Balsamic vinegar) and baby SW roast potatoes.

SWEET HONEY SALMON - Serves 2

2.5 Syns for the whole recipe

2 salmon steaks
1 tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. finely chopped ginger
A pinch of pink peppercorns

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Place the salmon steaks in a small ovenproof dish.
In a small bowl mix together the honey, soy sauce and ginger. Pour it over the salmon and sprinkle with the pink peppercorns.
Cover with foil and bake in a hot oven for 10-12 minutes, or until just cooked through.

Good served with rice or noodles and vegetables or salad.

HONEY COCKTAIL (Rosemary Conley) - Serves 1

3.5 Syns

1 tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. Tequila - 1 Syn
Diet soda water
Kiwi, to garnish

Place 4 ice cubes into the base of a glass.
Mix together the honey and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker, if you have one, adding the Tequila too.
Shake or stir well, then pour over the ice.
Top up with the diet soda water and garnish with a slice of kiwi.

SLOW SPICED LAMB - Serves 4

3.5 Syns for the whole recipe, if the cornflour is used

1 red onion, diced
300g lean lamb, diced
1 tbsp. cornflour - 3.5 Syns , if needed to thicken, at the end of cooking
2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 Knorr herb stockpot
250ml lamb stock (from a stock-cube)
200g fresh spinach, chopped

Put everything into the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 hours.
If, by the end of the cooking time, there is too much liquid, mix the cornflour with a few drops of cold water, to form a paste, and stir it into the lamb mixture, stirring continuously, until it thickens slightly.
Just before serving, stir in the spinach and continue to cook for a few minutes, until it has wilted.

Good served with rice.

CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA WITH RED PEPPERS - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving, based on using the higher amount of curry paste

4 skinless chicken breasts, diced
2-3 level tbsp. Patak's Tikka curry paste - 6 Syns
2 onions, sliced
2 red peppers, deseeded and diced
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato puree
4 tbsp. single cream - 6 Syns (or you could use FF yoghurt but thought I'd follow the recipe to the letter for this one and the Syns aren't that bad anyway! :D)
Torn coriander to garnish

Place the diced chicken in a bowl and mix in the tikka paste. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for as long as possible, preferably over-night.
Spray a large pan well with Frylight and add the onions and peppers. Cook over a medium heat until they start to soften. I tend to start the onion off in the microwave with a splash of water, to speed things up. For things like this I also usually use frozen onion which softens really quickly.
Add the chicken and garlic to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the chicken starts to brown.
Add the chopped tomatoes and the puree, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
Just before serving, season with salt and stir in the cream.

Scatter with torn coriander and serve with rice.

SLOW SPICED LAMB - Serves 4 3.5 Syns for the whole recipe, if the cornflour is used 1 red onion, diced 2 cloves of garlic, crushed 300g lean lamb, diced 1 tbsp. cornflour - 3.5 Syns , if needed to thicken, at the end of cooking 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped 1 Knorr herb stockpot 250ml lamb stock (from a stock-cube) 200g fresh spinach, chopped Put everything into the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 hours. If, by the end of the cooking time, there is too much liquid, mix the cornflour with a few drops of cold water, to form a paste, and stir it into the lamb mixture, stirring continuously, until it thickens slightly. Just before serving, stir in the spinach and continue to cook for a few minutes, until it has wilted. Good served with rice.

Would it be possible to do this with a beef roast instead of diced lamb if I left it in for longer?

Back