Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

ANOTHER POTATO SIDE DISH - Serves 4 (Nearly the same as the other but with a touch of garlic).

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving (definitely worth the Syns!)

750g red potatoes, thinly sliced
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
15g butter - 5 Syns (slightly over-Synned but better be safe than sorry)
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 tsp. dried oregano
100g smoked bacon, all visible fat removed and cut into bite-sized pieces

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Layer the potatoes and onion slices in a baking dish.
Soften the butter and mix the crushed garlic through, until evenly mixed.
Add the garlic butter, oregano and olive oil and toss everything together until well combined.
Bake for 45 minutes, adding the bacon pieces after 25 minutes cooking time.
Remove from oven when the potatoes are tender and the top is golden.

Sometimes, if I have one available, I add the juice of one lemon, along with the butter and oil mixture. However, it tastes good either way. :)

POTATO CAKES WITH SMOKED SALMON - Serves 3

3.5 Syns per serving

800g potatoes
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Half tsp. mixed spice
1 tsp. freshly chopped dill
1 tsp. freshly chopped parsley
2 eggs
3 level tbsp. flour - 10.5 Syns
150g smoked salmon, chopped into small pieces (trimmings from the Deli are great and cheap for this).

Pre-heat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
Grate the potatoes into a large bowl using a coarse grater or a food processor. Wrap grated potato into a clean tea-towel and squeeze as much liquid from it as poss.
Put the potato back into the bowl.
Add the onion, crushed garlic, mixed spice, dill, parsley, eggs and flour. Mix together well.
Using your hands, shape half the potato into rounds so they fit inside six of the 'holes' in a non-stick muffin tin.
Divide the salmon into six and place on top of the potato in the tin. Top these with the remaining potato mixture.
Bake for 25 minutes or until golden on the top.

These are really tasty with HEX grated cheese piled carefully on top prior to baking! Lovely also, served with half fat sour cream ( 1 level tbsp. = 1 Syn) or with extra light mayo and a colourful salad.

CAJUN-SPICED CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
340g can drained sweet-corn
2 tbsp. Cajun spice mix
250g long-grain rice
1 chicken stock cube
4 skinless chicken breasts
200g can pineapple chunks in natural juice - 5 Syns

Fry the pepper and sweet-corn in the oil in a large pan, along with Half a tbsp. of the spice mix, for 2 minutes.
Tip in the rice, pour in 700ml of water, then crumble in the stock cube.
Bring to the boil, stir, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, rub the remaining spice mix into the chicken breasts.
Spray a frying pan with Frylight and fry the chicken gently for 7 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked through.
Stir the pineapple chunks, along with the juice, into the rice and cook for another 2 minutes or until heated through.
Season to taste and serve with the chicken placed on top of the rice.

I have tried using just Frylight for this recipe but much prefer it with the 1 tbsp. olive oil but, of course, you may disagree! :)

2 tbsp. Cajun spice mix
250g long-grain rice
1 chicken stock cube

Fry the pepper and sweet-corn in the oil in a large pan, along with Half a tbsp. of the spice mix, for 2 minutes.
Spray a frying pan with Frylight and fry the chicken gently for 7 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked through.
Stir the pineapple chunks, along with the juice, into the rice and cook for another 2 minutes or until heated through.

I have tried using just Frylight for this recipe but much prefer it with the 1 tbsp. olive oil but, of course, you may disagree! :)

got the ingredients for this and am cooking it tonight. can't wait.

CHICKEN, MUSHROOM AND CHORIZO RISOTTO - Serves 2

1.5 Syns per serving

6 cherry tomatoes, halved
8 button mushrooms, sliced
50g diced chorizo - 3.5 Syns
1 pre-cooked, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
200g Arborio rice
600ml hot chicken stock
Handful of finely chopped fresh basil

Spray a wok or frying pan with Frylight. Add the chorizo, mushrooms, garlic and tomato halves.
Cook for about 10 minutes, before adding the chicken pieces. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then add the rice and half the rice. Stir gently for 2 minutes.
Add a third of the stock, letting it simmer gently until the liquid is nearly all absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Add more stock, keeping the mixture gently simmering, whilst stirring regularly, until all the stock is used up and the rice is tender. Season with black pepper to taste.
Spoon in the remaining basil and serve immediately on warmed plates.

This is lovely with HEX cheese grated over at the end or stirred through at the end of cooking.

Thank you!!!!! :bliss: Mmmmmm chorizo :drool:

:eat:

TOASTED MUSHROOM MELT - Serves 1

Approx. 3 Syns, if using the cheese as part of a HEX A and the bread as a HEX B

2 slices of wholemeal bread - The bread I use is one and a half slices for the HEX B, plus the extra half slice (to make two full slices), I Syn as 2 Syns. Hope this makes sense! :D
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 - 1.5 large field mushrooms
Enough Light Mozarella to cover 1 slice of bread. 65g Light Mozarella = 1 HEX A
1 tsp. green pesto - 1 Syn

If you have a Panini machine or sandwich toaster, use them but, otherwise, use the grill.
Saute the mushroom/s in a non-stick frying pan, until softened. Season with salt and black pepper. You can sauté in Frylight or, as long as it's a good quality non-stick pan, you don't need to add anything.
Lightly toast the bread and rub one or both slices with the peeled garlic clove.
Cover one slice of the toast with some of the fresh Mozarella.
When soft enough, put the mushroom/s on top of the Mozarella.
Spread the other slice of toast with the pesto.
Press the sandwich together and melt for a few minutes, preferably in the Panini maker or sandwich toaster but, if not, under the grill.

This makes a really tasty lunch/snack and, of course, you could use a different cheese, if you prefer.

Last edited:
HONEY BAKED PARSNIP CRISPS - Serves 1

2 Syns

1 large parsnip, peeled
2 tsp. runny honey

Pre-heat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
Using a potato peeler, peel the parsnips into strips.
Place them in a bowl and drizzle with the honey. Stir gently, until well coated.
Put a sheet of non-stick paper or baking parchment onto a baking tray. Spread out the parsnip strips on this baking parchment so they are not clumped together.
Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until browning at the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. The parsnip strips will crisp as they cool.
Enjoy!

Although I have made crisps with potato peelings in a similar way, I have never made these. However, my friend has and she says they are really tasty and a great little snack. :)

BEETROOT CRISPS - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

2 medium, fresh beetroots, peeled and finely sliced
1 tbsp. sunflower or vegetable oil - 6 Syns

Pre-heat the oven to 150C/Gas 2.
Put the beetroot in a bowl and add the oil. Mix thoroughly.
Line two baking trays with non-stick baking parchment and spread the beetroot slices over them in a single layer.
Bake for 1 hour, checking after 30 minutes. Continue cooking until the slices are dry and crisp. This might take over an hour, especially if the slices are slightly thicker.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with salt and leave to go cold. They will crisp up, the colder they get.

Don't be put off because it's beetroot - they are really nice. I haven't made these for ages and only thought of them as I was typing out the recipe above! :)

ROASTED CHICKPEAS - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. olive oil
Half a tsp. garlic powder

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Tip the drained and rinsed chickpeas into a bowl and pat dry with some kitchen roll. Make sure they are really dry. I have been known to finish them off with the hair drier before now! :D
Pour the olive oil over and stir thoroughly until well coated.
Tip into a roasting tin and spread out in a single layer.
Bake for 30 minutes until they are crunchy, shaking them every ten minutes so they cook evenly.
Tip the roasted chickpeas into a bowl and add the garlic powder, along with some salt and pepper to taste. Mix together gently and leave to cool completely.
Enjoy!

I love these and, if I have Syns to spare, sometimes sprinkle over some Synned sesame seeds, along with the other ingredients.

Last edited:
CAJUN SPICED BLACK BEAN + SWEET POTATO BURGER - Makes 4

Each burger = 2 Syns

200g sweet potato, baked
400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
100g spinach
45g porridge oats - 8 Syns
2 tsp. Cajun spice

Add the rinsed beans to a mixing bowl. Mash, but leave a quarter of them whole for a bit of texture.
Scoop the flesh out of the baked potato with a spoon and add to the bowl.
Rinse the spinach in a colander, then pour a kettle of boiling water over it, to wilt it. Rinse with cold water, to refresh, then squeeze as much water out as you can. Chop and add to the mixing bowl.
Next, add the oats, spices, garlic and some black pepper. Mix until well combined.
Shape the mixture into four large balls, then flatten into burger shapes.
Put the burgers onto a plate, cling-film and chill until ready to use.
When ready, spray a large frying pan with Frylight and cook the burgers gently for about 8 minutes on each side or until browned and thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely on a HEX bread roll, topped with salad and, if you have any left, some HEX cheese sliced over.
If you want to make these Syn Free and use oats as part of a HEX, you could have these with a large salad, maybe with a baked potato stuffed with some HEX cheese or with SW chips/wedges and baked beans, therefore losing the need for a HEX bread roll. :)

Sometimes, black beans can be hard to find. I usually get mine from the World Food section at my big Tesco's.

PASTA WITH TOMATO AND CHILLI SAUCE - Serves 3

2 Syns per serving, if using cheese as a HEX

2 onions, one finely chopped and one, sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1 red chilli, (seeds left in) finely chopped
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp. Worcester sauce
1 handful of freshly torn basil

Cook the onion, garlic and chilli in the olive oil, until the onion has softened.
Add the tin of tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper and add the basil at the last minute.
Serve with freshly cooked pasta, topped with grated Parmesan or other cheese.

If you don't want it quite as hot, remove the chilli seeds or don't add as much chilli to the recipe. This is really quick, easy and fresh tasting. Great for a quick lunch. :)

VEGGIE CHILLI - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns
1 tbsp. grated ginger or half tsp. ground ginger
1 onion, chopped
2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp. chilli powder - strength dependant on taste
100g dried red lentils
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the garlic, ginger, onion and red peppers until soft.
Add the chilli powder and cook for a further two minutes.
Stir in the lentils and the two cans of chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 mins.
Add the butter beans and kidney beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Lovely with rice, SW wedges or jacket potato.
I sometimes add in 2 chopped courgettes to up the veg count and, if I have any in, a tbsp of tomato puree.

BEAN BRAISE - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns
1 onion, sliced
8 BGTY sausages
400g can of lentils, drained
400g can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
Half tsp. dried chilli flakes or to taste
2 tsp. dried sage
100ml vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large, lidded pan. Add the onion and sausages, and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring, until the sausages are browned on all sides and the onion has softened.
Stir in the garlic, lentils, butter beans, tomatoes, chilli flakes, sage and stock.
Bring to the boil, turn the heat down, put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes.
If there is too much liquid left at the end of this time, remove the lid and simmer rapidly, until the sauce thickens.

2 tbsp. Cajun spice mix
250g long-grain rice
1 chicken stock cube

wow. what can I say will deffo make this again. best meal I have cooked in a long time.:)

Kathy, I am away a lot at the moment. Grandkids have not been well and now they are better they are going on holiday so I am going back to dogsit. Will catch up with the list in a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately I cannot get onto minimins on sons computer. I keep trying to find out why by sending the powers that be if there is anything can do - of course no replies. After 3 times now, giving up,

Speak soon

Doreen x

Oh I'm glad iv found this thread! Loads of great recipes x

Back