Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

ROASTED PEPPER SAUCE - Serves 2-4

Syn Free unless roasting in a tbsp. of oil, instead of Frylight

3 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
2 peeled red onions, cut into chunks
Half a teaspoon of dried thyme
500g passata
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

Heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Spray a baking tray with Frylight and place the peppers, onion and garlic on it, sprinkling with salt and pepper to taste, the thyme and then spraying again with Frylight. Alternatively, toss the peppers, onion and thyme in a tbsp. of oil but don't forget to Syn it.
Roast for 30 minutes if done in oil and about 45-50 if using Frylight - just keep an eye on them. Cook until soft and slightly blackened.
Cool, then blend until just chunky. Stir through the passata and warm through when ready to use.

This is lovely on its own, served with pasta and topped with a HEX cheese but it's also lovely with tuna or chicken too. Depending on who's eating it, I sometimes add some chilli flakes towards the end of cooking, sometimes some smoked paprika and, quite often, a slug of balsamic vinegar. It's so easy and so much better than shop bought!

Had this last night,it was yummy.The hubby said it smelled lovely as it was cooking.He could'nt have any as he was off to work(night shift).Ah well more for me :)

Thrilled I found this thread, loads of new ideas xx:D

I've got a great one that I never considered as SW friendly before - sage and onion stuffing!! It's my gran's recipe and great for an 'extra' on roast dinners or pork dishes. (And syn free if using bread as a hex)

Ingredients
One onion
1.5-2 slices WM bread
Water
Sage

Dice the onion and place in a shallow oven proof dish. Cover with water (until it just covers the onion) and microwave for 5 mins. Meanwhile chop up the bread into small squares.

Then mix in the bread and stir - the bread should start to mop up the excess water. I use 1.6 slices bread as i find 2 slices makes it a little dry at times. Sprinkle some sage over the top and stir it in. Then top with another sprinkle of sage on the top and pop it in the oven when you put your roast potatoes in.

The consistency on the top should be crispy and browned and underneath it will still be soft!

So many great looking recipes :) loving the look of the stuffing one! Making a roast this Sunday so will be trying that out thank you x

Had this last night,it was yummy.The hubby said it smelled lovely as it was cooking.He could'nt have any as he was off to work(night shift).Ah well more for me :)

Really glad you liked it, celtic-chick. It's so easy, isn't it but so versatile too. Poor old hubby - still, it's easy enough to throw together again. Better luck for him next time, eh? :D

Kathy x

CHICKEN CHASSEUR - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

8 skinless and boned chicken thighs (more flavour than breast but could use 4 breasts instead)
4 large, fresh thyme sprigs, laves picked off
100g shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. tomato puree
200ml dry white wine - 12 Syns
200ml chicken stock
300g small chestnut mushrooms, halved
2 fresh bay leaves
200g fresh or canned chopped tomatoes

(Phew! Only just fits into the 10 ingredient limit!)

Open out the chicken thighs and place, skinned side down on a chopping board. Sprinkle with half the thyme and some seasoning. Roll back into shape and tie at each end with string.
Spray a deep, non-stick frying pan with Frylight and fry the chicken over a high heat until golden all over. Set aside.
Re-spray the pan well and add the shallots and garlic, frying them for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned.
Stir in the puree, cook for 1 minute, add the wine and stock and bring to the boil.
Return the chicken to the pan with the mushrooms, remaining thyme, bay leaves and some more seasoning.
Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally, making sure it has cooked through. The sauce should have reduced down to a thicker consistency by now but, if it hasn't thickened enough for your liking, remove the lid and turn the heat up until it has, making sure the chicken doesn't over-cook.

Lovely served with mashed potatoes and lots of fresh veg.

PRAWN BAKE - Serves 4

4 Syns per serving

60g diced or thinly sliced chorizo
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
300g long grain rice
1 or 2 tsp smoked paprika
750ml hot chicken stock
75g frozen broad beans or peas
Some frozen peppers
300g raw, shelled tiger prawns, thawed if frozen

Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
Put the chorizo into a flameproof casserole dish and cook on the hob until the oils start to run.
Add the garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until softening.
Add the rice and paprika, stir for 30 seconds, then add the stock. Bring to the boil, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
Stir in the pepper slices, broad beans or peas and the prawns.
Return to the oven for 6-8 minutes, until the prawns are pink, cooked through and the rice is tender, having absorbed all the liquid. Season to taste.

Lovely with some chicken thrown in too.

SPICY CHICKEN WITH MANGO SALAD - Serves 4

Syn Free

4 skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp. garam masala
1 large ripe mango
Half a cucumber
Half a small red onion
Handful of fresh coriander leaves or baby spinach
4 tbsp. FF natural yoghurt
Grated zest and juice of half a lime
Paprika

Spray the chicken breasts all over with Frylight and then rub all over with the garam masala and a pinch of salt.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over a med-high heat and cook the chicken for 6 minutes on each side or until slightly charred and cooked through.
Peel and slice the mango into slim wedges. Halve the cucumber and slice thickly at an angle.
Thinly slice the onion and toss all the ingredients together with the coriander or spinach and pile onto plates.
Mix the yoghurt with the lime zest and juice, season and dollop beside the salad, sprinkling it with a little paprika.
Cut the chicken in halves or thirds diagonally and arrange next to the salad.

Would be nice with some naan bread if you can spare the Syns.

I've not made this one myself but it does have excellent reviews.

Hi Emsie! Yes, I'm back on track now, after about a week of definitely being off plan! I was a bit panicky 'cos I've done that twice before now - lost weight, gone away for a short break and then not gone back on SW. Really stupid! The difference is, the last couple of times, I hadn't heard of Mini's so didn't have the fantastic support and banter I do now.
Talking of support, I'm having to do that with my 26 year old daughter, at the moment 'cos her boyfriend's being a bit of an idiot and really upsetting her! They'd booked into a gorgeous B+B in the Lake District last weekend and he'd decided he was going to bugger about and not set off until 5.30pm so they didn't get there until seven o'clock! She was in tears before she left, instead of feeling happy. She was really looking forward to it and had wanted to reserve a table for the evening meal but he said he'd already eaten so he wasn't bothering. I'm alright Jack or what? Basically, they ended up sleeping there overnight, having breakfast, then coming home again! What a wasted weekend.
The week before, they were supposed to be going to my daughter's friends wedding reception, which he'd known about for ages. My daughter had bought a beautiful long dress for the occasion and been to the hairdressers to have her hair put up. Anyway, he was texting her all day saying how tired he was and didn't feel like going. Anyway, long story short, she ended up going on her own, feeling like a gooseberry as she sat with a group of her friends who were all accompanied by their boyfriends. One of the lads said he was an idiot and it was his loss, as she looked stunning.
Anyway, I've booked her and one of her girlfriends into a hotel in Snowdonia for a weekend, in the hope she'll open up to her, have a lovely, chilled time and come to her senses, as far as he's concerned. He's such a jerk! It's horrible, isn't it? However old they are, you just want to protect them.
God! I bet you wish you'd never asked me how things were now!! :D Hoping things are good with you and that I haven't totally depressed you now! :)

Kathy x

Hi Emsie! Yes, I'm back on track now, after about a week of definitely being off plan! I was a bit panicky 'cos I've done that twice before now - lost weight, gone away for a short break and then not gone back on SW. Really stupid! The difference is, the last couple of times, I hadn't heard of Mini's so didn't have the fantastic support and banter I do now.
Talking of support, I'm having to do that with my 26 year old daughter, at the moment 'cos her boyfriend's being a bit of an idiot and really upsetting her! They'd booked into a gorgeous B+B in the Lake District last weekend and he'd decided he was going to bugger about and not set off until 5.30pm so they didn't get there until seven o'clock! She was in tears before she left, instead of feeling happy. She was really looking forward to it and had wanted to reserve a table for the evening meal but he said he'd already eaten so he wasn't bothering. I'm alright Jack or what? Basically, they ended up sleeping there overnight, having breakfast, then coming home again! What a wasted weekend.
The week before, they were supposed to be going to my daughter's friends wedding reception, which he'd known about for ages. My daughter had bought a beautiful long dress for the occasion and been to the hairdressers to have her hair put up. Anyway, he was texting her all day saying how tired he was and didn't feel like going. Anyway, long story short, she ended up going on her own, feeling like a gooseberry as she sat with a group of her friends who were all accompanied by their boyfriends. One of the lads said he was an idiot and it was his loss, as she looked stunning.
Anyway, I've booked her and one of her girlfriends into a hotel in Snowdonia for a weekend, in the hope she'll open up to her, have a lovely, chilled time and come to her senses, as far as he's concerned. He's such a jerk! It's horrible, isn't it? However old they are, you just want to protect them.
God! I bet you wish you'd never asked me how things were now!! :D Hoping things are good with you and that I haven't totally depressed you now! :)

Kathy x
Ha ha of course I don't wish I hadn't asked!
Glad to hear you are back on track again :)
Sorry to hear about your daughters bf and yes it sounds like she needs to come to her senses! and what a lovely mum you are to buy her such a nice treat, sounds ideal especially as she has had a wasted trip away x

SEA BASS WITH SIZZLED GINGER - Serves 6

1 Syn per serving

6 x sea bass fillets, about 140g each, skin on and scaled
1 tbsp. sunflower oil - 6 Syns
Large piece of ginger, peeled and shredded into matchsticks
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 fat, red chillies, deseeded and thinly shredded
Bunch of spring onions, shredded long-ways
1 tbsp. soy sauce

Season the fish with salt and pdpper, then slash the skin in 3 places.
Heat a frying pan and add the oil. Once hot, (make sure it is or the fish won't crisp up) fry the fish, skin-side down, for 5 mins or until the skin is crisp and golden. The fish will be almost cooked through.
Turn over and cook for a further 30 seconds to 1 minute, then transfer to a plate and keep warm. Unless your pan is huge, you'll have to cook the fish in two batches.
Spray the pan well with Frylight and fry the ginger, garlic and chillies for about 3 minutes, until golden.
Take off the heat and toss in the spring onions. Splash the fish with a little soy sauce and serve with the contents of the pan spooned over.

Lovely served on top of crushed potato with peas. If sea bass is a little too pricey, try it with a cheaper fish instead. This recipe is a bit fiddly but well worth it!

TANGY CHICKEN - Serves 4

Syn Free

4 skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 tsp black pepper
3cm chunk of root ginger
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Zest of 1 and juice of 2 limes

Make three slashes in each of the chicken portions and put in a shallow dish.
Finely grate the ginger, crush the garlic and mix with the soy sauce, black pepper and lime zest and juice.
Mix well, then pour over the chicken and leave to marinate, in the fridge, for, at least, a few hours or, preferably, 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Line a roasting tin with foil, sprayed with Frylight. Lay the chicken on the foil, then curl the edges of the foil up slightly, close to the chicken, to catch the juices.
Cook the chicken for 25-30 minutes, ensuring it is thoroughly cooked through. Pour over any cooking juices and serve.

Great with rice, baby sweet-corn and mange tout.

PANCETTA WRAPPED TROUT - Serves 2

2 Syns per serving or Syn Free if using bacon instead

1 lemon
2 small trout, rainbow or browned, cleaned
1 large bunch of thyme
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 slices of pancetta or bacon - all visible fat removed

Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Cut half the lemon into 4 thin slices and juice the other half.
Score each fish 3 times on one side and place on a baking tray, scored side up.
Season liberally, inside and out with salt and pepper.
Stuff each fish with the thyme, a sprinkling of garlic and a slice of lemon.
Lay the rest of the thyme on top of the fish and top with a lemon slice. Wrap the pancetta/bacon around the fish to hold the pancetta and thyme in place.
Spray really well with Frylight and bake for 20 minutes, until the pancetta is golden and the fish is cooked.

Lovely with new potatoes and green beans.

SWEET MUSTARD SALMON - Serves 2

4 Syns per serving

750g baby new potatoes, halved
2 tbsp. wholegrain mustard - 4 Syns
Juice of 2 lemons
4 tsp runny honey - 4 Syns
4 skinless, boneless salmon fillets, about 140g each
2 orange or red pappers
250g sugar snap peas
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced

Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes 0r until tender.
Meanwhile, whisk the mustard, garlic, juice from the lemons and honey together in a bowl to make a marinade.
Turn the salmon fillets in the marinade until evenly coated, then set aside.
Deseed the peppers and cut into thin strips.
Drain the potatoes and tip into a shallow ovenproof dish or roasting tray, which has previously sprayed with Frylight. Add the peppers and sugar snap peas to the dish. Spray liberally with Frylight and season to taste. Gently toss together and roast for 20 minutes before placing the salmon fillets on top of the vegetables and pouring over the marinade.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the salmon is cooked and just starting to brown.

Could use any veg, of course. I sometimes use courgettes and cherry tomatoes. Could double up on the honey and mustard too but, personally, I try to keep the Syn value down and love it anyway.

SWEET CURED BACON AND CHORIZO RISOTTO - Serves 2

3.5 Syns for the whole recipe

225g sweet cured back bacon, cut into large pieces and with all visible fat removed
50g diced chorizo - 3.5 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
150g risotto/Arborio rice
600ml chicken stock
50g frozen broad beans, defrosted and skins removed, if you have time or use frozen peas instead
2 tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
HEX grated Parmesan cheese

Cook the bacon and chorizo in a pan until the chorizo oils begin to release. Add the onion and continue cooking until it starts to brown.
Add the rice and stock and bring to the boil. Season with black pepper and simmer gently for approximately 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid absorbed.
During the last 10 minutes, stir in the broad beans or peas and heat through.
Scatter with the parsley and top with a HEX portion of grated Parmesan or Cheddar.

RED LENTIL, CHICKPEA AND CHILLI SOUP - Serves 4

Syn Free

2 tsp cumin seeds
Large pinch of chilli flakes
1 red onion, chopped
140g red split lentils
850ml vegetable stock or water
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g chickpeas or 100g, if you prefer. Rinse and drain
Small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped

Heat a large pan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for one minute, or until they start to jump about and release their aromas.
Spray the pan with Frylight and add the onions, which have previously been softened in a bowl, with a tbsp. of water, covered, in the microwave for about 3 mins. Cook them for a further 5 mins.
Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins or until the lentils have softened.
Blend the soup in a food processor until it's a rough puree. Pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas. Alternatively, add the chickpeas beforehand and blend with the other ingredients for a smoother soup OR add SOME of the chickpeas prior to blending, saving some for adding after so it's more of a half and half soup, if that makes sense!! :p
Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander.

Lovely topped with a dollop of FF Greek yoghurt.

RED LENTIL, CHICKPEA AND CHILLI SOUP - Serves 4

Syn Free

2 tsp cumin seeds
Large pinch of chilli flakes
1 red onion, chopped
140g red split lentils
850ml vegetable stock or water
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g chickpeas or 100g, if you prefer. Rinse and drain
Small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped

Heat a large pan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for one minute, or until they start to jump about and release their aromas.
Spray the pan with Frylight and add the onions, which have previously been softened in a bowl, with a tbsp. of water, covered, in the microwave for about 3 mins. Cook them for a further 5 mins.
Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins or until the lentils have softened.
Blend the soup in a food processor until it's a rough puree. Pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas. Alternatively, add the chickpeas beforehand and blend with the other ingredients for a smoother soup OR add SOME of the chickpeas prior to blending, saving some for adding after so it's more of a half and half soup, if that makes sense!! :p
Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander.

Lovely topped with a dollop of FF Greek yoghurt.

Kathy I don't have cumin seeds but I have ground cumin,could I use this do you think??

Back