Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

CHIPOTLE CHICKEN in the SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

Syns - hardly any.

500g skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Half a teaspoon of brown sugar - 0.5 Syns
2 tsp Discovery Foods chipotle paste - it's only 0.5 Syns for a tbsp. so, hardly any for 2 tsp.!! Obviously, add more paste, if you prefer things spicier.
400g can of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. fresh chopped flat leaf parsley

Brown the chicken breasts before adding to the slow cooker, if you like. I don't!
Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, along with seasoning to taste, except for the red onion and parsley, and cook on Low for 5-6 hours or on High for 2-3 hours.
Check the chicken is cooked through.
Shred the chicken, using two forks to pull apart, mix well with the other ingredients and serve with the red onion and parsley on the top.
Also good with a dollop of FF Greek yoghurt on the side.

Last edited:
SIMPLE CHICKEN CURRY IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

Syn Free

500g skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tbsp. fresh, grated ginger or 1 tsp. of ground ginger
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
Half tsp. chilli powder or, to taste
375ml passata

Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Season.
Cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 4 hours.
Ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and, if you want it a little more creamy, once removed from the heat, stir in about 250ml FF Greek yoghurt.

I also sometimes stir through some baby spinach during the final 15 minutes of cooking.

PEANUT BUTTER CHICKEN IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

4 Syns per serving

500g skinless chicken breast, diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp. low fat peanut butter - 16 Syns
2 tbsp. lime juice
120ml chicken stock
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. coriander
Half a teaspoon of paprika

Brown the chicken pieces in a frying pan sprayed with Frylight, if you prefer. I don't bother - OK, I'll stop saying that now!! :D
Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, season, cover and leave to cook on Low for 6 hours or High for 4 hours.
Make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
If any of the slow cooking recipes are a bit too runny, I always transfer everything to a large pan and boil rapidly on the hob until it thickens up.

Lovely served with Syn Free noodles, rice or SW wedges.

Naaaa keep on saying it in case we forget and the bit about transferring to a large pan to boil rapidly to thicken. I have passed some of your recipies on and I am still asked the same question.

Seriously tho`, whatever is best for you. Still a fantastic job youi are doing.

Doreen

As are you, Doreen, with the invaluable Index! :) Hope your Christmas shopping is going well. I must admit, from lying in hospital, panicking that I'd only one present organised, I've now got loads sorted. Suppose that's the up side of being off work at this time of year. I'm missing walking round the shops, soaking up the atmosphere, but I'm clicking on the Internet, they arrive at my door (and, of course, I'm always in!) and then get wrapped up! Sorted! :D

Kathy xx

SAUSAGE WITH SPICY BEANS in the Slow Cooker - Serves 2 or 3

2 Syns per serving, based on serving 2

6 Syn Free SW sausages
400g can of kidney beans in chilli sauce
50g chorizo - 4 Syns (I've slightly over-Synned these)
1 onion, finely chopped - I used ready prepared frozen
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Half a teaspoon of paprika

Basically, throw everything into the slow cooker.
Cook on High for 3.5 - 4 hours. This produced a lovely, thick sauce when I made this last night.
I didn't brown the sausages or, even the chorizo (which is the only thing I usually do brown before putting in the slow cooker) and it turned out perfectly.
I had a pack of BGTY sausages and a small pack of diced chorizo, wondering what to do with them, and that was when I decided to just chuck them all in to the slow cooker.
It doesn't need any salt, because of the chorizo and we had it with baked potatoes and will definitely be making again! :)

Last edited:
RUSTIC CHICKEN IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 6

Negligible Syns

2kg skinless chicken pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
2x400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 handful of pitted green olives - 8 olives = 1 Syn
3 bay leaves
2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled

Season the chicken well and place in the slow cooker (brown first, if preferred).
Put the chicken and all the other ingredients into the slow cooker.
Cook on Low for 7 hours or High for 4 hours.
Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and, if not thick enough, transfer to a large pan and boil rapidly on the hob until desired consistency is reached.

I sometimes add 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste from Waitrose (1 Syn per tablespoon) to it but know it isn't to everyone's taste.

thanks for this list - im not a great cook and look for all recipes with the least ingredients!!

FULL INDEX ON PAGE 55 AND 98

WHOLE CHICKEN IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 6

Syn Free

2kg whole chicken
2 onions, sliced into rings
Dried rub mix of :
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder plus a pinch of salt

Combine the dried ingredients together.
Slash the skin of the chicken to allow some of the dried rub flavour to seep through as, unfortunately ladies, we won't be eating the skin!! :D
Rub the dried mixture well into the chicken, paying particular attention to the slashed areas.
Place the onion rings in the base of the slow cooker and place the chicken on top.
Cook on Low for 7-8 hours with the lid firmly shut.
Ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked through before serving.

If you like, you can always put some potato pieces and other veg over the base and up the sides of the cooker and maybe pour a couple of tablespoons of hot chicken stock over. If not adding in any vegetables, it really doesn't need any liquid adding in as it just cooks in its own juices. Mmmm! :)

Last edited:
I absolutely love the sound of so many of these dishes! I think I am going to have to get a slow cooker now..........

Glad you like the sound of them, Traveljody. I only bought mine last year and only wished I'd discovered them earlier. They are absolutely brilliant, really cheap to run, easy to use, inexpensive to buy and a total God-send when you're out at work. I prepare everything the night before (hardly any preparation needed, especially if you don't brown anything beforehand), stick the slow cooker bowl in the fridge, then just put it on before I walk out of the door the next morning. I didn't realise when I bought mine that you can buy them with built-in timers but I just use one of those timers you plug lamps into when going away and it works just fine.

Kathy

SAUSAGE AND SPINACH WITH GNOCCHI (FOR THE SLOW COOKER) - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

8 Syn Free SW sausages, skins removed
250ml passata
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 splash of red wine vinegar
100g fresh baby spinach
500g gnocchi - 10 Syns

Add all the ingredients, except the gnocchi and spinach, to the slow cooker.
Cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 4 hours.
Check the sausage meat is cooked through and then add the gnocchi, baby spinach and a pinch of salt.
Turn the setting to High, if you have been cooking on Low so far, and cook for a further 10-20 minutes or until the gnocchi is tender.

I sometimes add in a fat, crushed clove of garlic, some sliced mushrooms and some dried chilli flakes, to taste, depending on what I've got in and what I feel like!

Last edited:
SQUASH, BASIL AND TOMATO SOUP IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

Syns - negligible

400g butternut squash flesh, cubed
75g potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 fresh vine tomatoes, chopped
Half tsp. sugar - 0.5 Syns
2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil leaves
4 tbsp. tomato puree
1 litre hot vegetable stock

Place all the ingredients, with seasoning, in the slow cooker and cook on Low for 3-4 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
Blend to a smooth consistency, alter the seasoning and reheat on the hob or in the microwave, if necessary.

Mmm! I absolutely adore chorizo, Sparty. I always think it tastes so indulgent and adds such a rich, deep taste and all for so few calories when shared out in a recipe. Enjoy! :)

Kathy xx

SPICY CHICKEN BURGERS - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 heaped teaspoon of cumin seeds
100g mushrooms
500g minced chicken
1 onion, grated
2 tsp. grated ginger
2 tsp. crushed garlic
1-2 green chillies, deseeded if you like and finely chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
2 tsp. garam masala

Put the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat and stir until they are fragrant and have turned a shade darker. Tip into a mortar and grind to a powder with the pestle. Alternatively, use ground cumin.
Blitz the mushrooms in a food processor. Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Knead well and combine thoroughly.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so.
Divide into eight portions and form each into a burger shape.
Spray each burger on both sides with Frylight and place on a rack under a hot grill.
Turn halfway through cooking. Should take about 3-4 minutes each side. Check they are thoroughly cooked by cutting into them. There should be no pink left inside the burgers at all.

Lovely served with a baked potato and beans or some SW chips. If you still have your HEx B left, serve on a bread roll, with lots of salad leaves.

Wow. Fabulous recipes. Thanks Kathy (in particular).

I have been thinking of getting a slow cooker for ages but still a bit 'scared' !!! Ridiculous really. I might have to get my sister over to help do the first batch !!!

Thanks again.

Gail x

SPICY CHICKEN BURGERS - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 heaped teaspoon of cumin seeds
100g mushrooms
500g minced chicken
1 onion, grated
2 tsp. grated ginger
2 tsp. crushed garlic
1-2 green chillies, deseeded if you like and finely chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
2 tsp. garam masala

Put the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat and stir until they are fragrant and have turned a shade darker. Tip into a mortar and grind to a powder with the pestle. Alternatively, use ground cumin.
Blitz the mushrooms in a food processor. Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Knead well and combine thoroughly.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so.
Divide into eight portions and form each into a burger shape.
Spray each burger on both sides with Frylight and place on a rack under a hot grill.
Turn halfway through cooking. Should take about 3-4 minutes each side. Check they are thoroughly cooked by cutting into them. There should be no pink left inside the burgers at all.

Lovely served with a baked potato and beans or some SW chips. If you still have your HEx B left, serve on a bread roll, with lots of salad leaves.

will deffo make these.

SWEET CHILLI WHISKY CHICKEN FOR THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving

1 x 1.5kg chicken, skin scored lots of times
4 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. whisky - 3 Syns
2 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce - 3 Syns
2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
Pinch of dried chilli flakes

Slash or snip with a sharp pair of kitchen scissors, lots of cuts in the skin of the chicken.
Mix together the soy sauce, whisky, sweet chilli sauce, honey, a pinch of salt and dried chilli flakes.
Rub the mix all over the chicken, trying to loosen the skin as you go and working as much of the mixture as possible underneath the skin and through the slashes.
Scrunch up four pieces of foil to form balls. Place these in the bottom of the slow cooker and place the chicken on top of them.
Cook the chicken for about 7 hours on Low.
Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked through before serving with your choice of potatoes (I prefer SW baby roast potatoes) and lots of fresh veg. Oh! Don't forget to remove the skin before serving!! :D

Suppose you could also add some 5-spice powder, ginger and garlic to the mixture before rubbing into the chicken, if you liked.

Back