Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

going to have to buy some chickpeas I think and give this a go. may try them without the honey too to see what its like to try to reduce the syn value but it does sound like my kind of snack xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGE 55 AND 98

Realised today this thread has been moved to a Sticky position so I'd like to say, once again, how very grateful I am to Nanny Doreen, who has put in many hours creating and adding to the Index, making mine and everyone else's lives a lot easier when hunting for recipes. I am not at all technically minded so this has been a great help to me so, thanks very much, Doreen. xx

Now back to my response to the previous comment! :D

Yes, they are good. Had some last night but savoury instead. Used the chickpeas, same amount of oil and added some Cajun spice and salt to taste. They were really nice too. Hope you enjoy them. Just make sure they're crisp when they leave the oven because, obviously, ovens can vary.

Last edited:
MEXICAN STEW - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

500g extra lean minced beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. Discovery Mexican Taco Seasoning Mix - 0.5 (based on 30g = 2.5 Syns)
400ml beef stock
2 large courgettes or 1 small BNS, cut into small dice
400g can no-salt black beans, drained and rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
Small can sweetcorn, drained
11 level tbsp. Tesco Hot Salsa Dip - 5.5 Syns

Dry-fry the minced beef in a large pan/pot over a medium heat until browned. Drain off any meat fat.
If necessary, spray the pan with Frylight and sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
Add the meat back into the pan and sprinkle with the Taco mixture, stirring to blend.
Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes.

Lovely served with Jasmine rice and topped with HEX grated cheese. Obviously, the veg can be altered or added to. I sometimes use peppers, grated carrots, extra courgettes........

That sounds great, thank you. Where do you get your Discovery Mexican taco seasoning?

You can buy it from most supermarkets. Mine was from Sainsbury's near all the cook in sauces. Hope you enjoy it, if you decide to give it a go. :)

Kathy

OATY COOKIES - makes about 8. 5 Syns for all the cookies, if using the oats as your HEX 1 large ripe banana 35g quick-cook porridge oats Spray a baking tray with Frylight or line with non-stick baking paper. Mash the banana in a bowl with a fork. If you're following the plan to the letter, this is where the 5 Syns come in - still can't get my head round that really! :D Mix in the porridge oats (and some sweetener, if you like things a bit sweeter) and blob onto the baking tray. Sometimes I add some cinnamon at this point. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/gas mk. 4 on the middle shelf for approx. 15 mins. Allow to cool on the tray, although they do taste really yummy when they are slightly warm!

Do you buy quick cook porridge as a big bag, like other porridge oats, or use a sachet (or thereabouts) of oatso simple?

Thanks

HOME-MADE CRISPS

Syn Free

2 large potatoes - I like Rooster potatoes but any would do
Salt and seasonings/flavours of your choice

Thinly slice the potatoes. I use the slicer bit on my grater.
No need to wash but pat all the liquid off the potato slices thoroughly with kitchen roll. Make sure they are completely dry.
Spread the slices around the edge of a microwaveable plate. Make sure they don't overlap.
Cook on High for about four minutes. Turn over and repeat. This is only a guide as all microwaves are different. Keep an eye on them and stop when they're starting to go slightly golden.
Spread them out on a cooling tray and leave them to crisp up.
When ready, sprinkle with your flavouring. I have only used salt and vinegar so far and the small amount of vinegar helped the salt to stick to the crisps. If anyone tries any other seasonings, please let me know how you get on.
They really were delicious!! :)

I just used them from a big bag of quick-cook porridge oats. Hope you like them! :) Kathy

I was hoping you weren't going to say that as can't find them :-( have you tried them with oatso simple or other 'just add water' porridge? They're all I can find. X

Hello . Ive just been reading through some of your recipes. They really do sound delicious. I hope to try some next week. I think I will start with the Mexican chicken. This really is a brilliant thread. Thank you so much.

I was hoping you weren't going to say that as can't find them :-( have you tried them with oatso simple or other 'just add water' porridge? They're all I can find. X

Oh dear, Spookess! I'm sure they'd still be fine. They can't be that different, surely! Let me know how you get on, if you give them a try.

Kathy x

Thanks so much for your lovely comments, mo53. I hope you enjoy the Mexican chicken - it's one of our favourites. Happy cooking! :)

Kathy x

MORE STICKY SAUSAGES!! - Serves 4

Just under 2 Syns per serving

8 Syn Free SW sausages
4 level tbsp. reduced sugar + salt tomato ketchup - 2 Syns
2 tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
2 tsp. mild chilli powder
Half tsp. dried oregano

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Put the sausages into a roasting tin and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.
Mix together all the other ingredients with a tbsp. of water and seasoning.
Pour the mixture over the sausages, making sure they are all covered.
Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through.

Great served with mash and peas!

Last edited:
SPICY BURGERS - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

450g extra lean minced beef
50g diced chorizo - 3.5 Syns
1 tomato, chopped
1 tbsp. smoked paprika

Salsa

2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. reduced salt + sugar tomato ketchup - 0.5 Syns
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns

For the salsa - put the chopped tomatoes, green chilli, spring onion, ketchup and olive oil in a large bowl, stir thoroughly, cover and chill before serving.
Put the mince, chorizo, chopped tomato and paprika into a bowl and mix together thoroughly.
Divide into 4 burger shapes, put on a plate, cover and put in fridge for a while, giving the burgers a chance to firm up and for the flavours to develop.
Pre-heat the grill.
Put the burgers under the grill and cook gently for about 10 minutes on each side. Check they are thoroughly cooked through.

Serve the burgers on HEX bread rolls or as part of a meal, maybe with a jacket or SW wedges and salad, with the salsa on the side. Yum! :D

LENTIL, CHICKPEA AND CHILLI SOUP - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

This is a take on a GH recipe and I really hope I haven't already posted this! Had a good look through the index and couldn't spot it but apologies if it's a repeat! :S

2 tsp. cumin seeds
Large pinch of chilli flakes
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 red onion, finely chopped
140g red split lentils
850ml veg stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g can chickpeas - if you can only find a 400g can you could roast the rest as in previous recipes!
Small bunch of coriander - must admit, I've been using half tsp dried, ground instead.

Heat a large pan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for about 1 minute, or until they start to jump about and release their odours.
Add the oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes.
Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
Whizz the soup in a blender until it resembles a puree. Pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas. I prefer to add half the chickpeas before blending, as I'm not crazy about having loads of whole chickpeas in the soup. Could obviously blend them all, if you prefer a smooth soup.
Heat gently and season well. If using fresh coriander, stir this in now, maybe reserving some for decoration.

I like serving this with a dollop of FF yoghurt or half-fat crème fraiche. Sainsbury's = 0.5 Syn for 1 level tbsp.

This yummy soup can also be frozen.

GRANITA - Serves 4

Approx. 5 Syns for the whole recipe

Fed up at the moment of frozen yoghurt so thought I'd have a go at Granita instead. I've put approx. 5 Syns for the recipe because, according to SW guidance you're supposed to Syn pureed melon at 1 Syn per 100g. Must admit, I never have and it hasn't affected my weight loss but, of course, I wouldn't want to suggest you ignore the advice and then have a gain! Anyway, here goes.

8 cups of seedless melon (I use watermelon)
2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice

Put half the melon into a food processor and whizz until smooth. Pour into a large glass or plastic baking dish.
Process the remaining melon, adding the honey and lime juice to the blender. Process until smooth.
Pour this into the dish and carefully mix together until well combined.
Put into the freezer, uncovered.
Freeze until ice begins to form around the edges. Scrape with a fork to break up any large clumps of ice.
Return to the freezer and continue to stir every thirty minutes until all the liquid has crystallized. This will probably take about 3 hours altogether.
Flake the granite into serving bowls using a fork.

This is a really refreshing alternative to yoghurt/ice cream.

GRANITA - Serves 4

Approx. 5 Syns for the whole recipe

Fed up at the moment of frozen yoghurt so thought I'd have a go at Granita instead. I've put approx. 5 Syns for the recipe because, according to SW guidance you're supposed to Syn pureed melon at 1 Syn per 100g. Must admit, I never have and it hasn't affected my weight loss but, of course, I wouldn't want to suggest you ignore the advice and then have a gain! Anyway, here goes.

8 cups of seedless melon (I use watermelon)
2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice

Put half the melon into a food processor and whizz until smooth. Pour into a large glass or plastic baking dish.
Process the remaining melon, adding the honey and lime juice to the blender. Process until smooth.
Pour this into the dish and carefully mix together until well combined.
Put into the freezer, uncovered.
Freeze until ice begins to form around the edges. Scrape with a fork to break up any large clumps of ice.
Return to the freezer and continue to stir every thirty minutes until all the liquid has crystallized. This will probably take about 3 hours altogether.
Flake the granite into serving bowls using a fork.

This is a really refreshing alternative to yoghurt/ice cream.

Sounds delish

SMOKEY MAPLE BAKED BEANS - Serves 4 Based on a recipe by Paul Flynn

2.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns - the reason you can't use Frylight for this is because you have to make a garlic oil with it. However, since posting this recipe, I have been told you can now buy Garlic Frylight, therefore eliminating the Syns. Must admit though, this is such an amazingly tasty recipe, for quite low Syns, I'll probably stick with the olive oil for this.

1 large onion, finely diced
4 thick slices of smoked bacon, all visible fat removed, diced
400g can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. tomato puree
300ml chicken stock
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 level tbsp. maple syrup - 4 Syns

Heat the oil over a gentle heat and add the garlic. Carefully cook until golden, but no more. This will give a roasted garlic oil but, if you cook it too much, it may burn.
Add the bacon and onions.
Cook slowly for 15 minutes and then add the tomato puree, smoked paprika and chicken stock.
Finally add the beans.
Cook for 5 more minutes, stir in the maple syrup, season with salt and pepper and serve.

This is lovely over rice or in a jacket potato, topped with a grated HEX portion of mature Cheddar.

Last edited:
Back