Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Liking your idea of using frozen onion. I usually soften mine in the microwave prior to cooking with frylight but your way will be much easier :)

Yes, I've done it in a tbsp. of water in the microwave first too and that, of course, is another good way of softening the onion. Think I'm just lazy though!! :D

Your 'pants on fire' comment really made me giggle! :) It's like when my OH says he doesn't like garlic but often has seconds when something is laden with it!! What they don't know ..........................!!

Kathy x

How about this a red onion and mushroom omeltte salt and pepper and a side salad is this on plan with super free

Sounds good, k9. Makes me suddenly feel like having an omelette for tea actually! :) Think I'll add in my HEX cheese as well though. Thanks for the thought! :)

Kathy x

Crisps! I am a sucker for crisps, so I am super excited to try these Syn-free ones!

If you give them a go, make sure you slice the potato very thinly, either with a mandolin or the slicer on a cheese grater. Even my daughter was impressed and she can be a fussy mare! Best eaten immediately tbh (which wasn't a problem!), as soon as they are cold and crispy. They do keep for a day in an airtight container but they're not quite as good. Hope they're successful. Happy crunching! :)

Kathy x

Made the oven baked risotto for dinner.... Yum!!! Definitely not a 4 person serving. There's SW me and two grown men to feed, just enough for the three of us.
I'm adding mushrooms next time and have decided to name it breakfast risotto as it will be bacon, tomato and mushrooms :-D.
Thanks for all the fab recipes. I'm working through the ones I (personally) think sound nice, may take a while though as only on page 24!! :)

Glad you enjoyed it and that it's not just us who think there's no way it'll serve 4! :D Just thought we were extra greedy! It's my absolute favourite because it's so easy and so versatile. You can add whatever you fancy really, can't you? Good luck with ploughing through the recipes! :D

Kathy x

PORK PAPRIKA - Serves 2

Approx. 2 Syns per serving (over-Synned)

2 lean pork leg or shoulder steaks, diced
50g diced chorizo - 3.5 Syns
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp. paprika, or to taste
4 tbsp. FF Greek yoghurt

Pre-heat the oven to 160C/Gas 3.
Spray a large pan with Frylight and cook the pork and chorizo until browned all over.
Add the garlic and onion and cook for a further 5 mins, stirring frequently.
Add the tomatoes and paprika. Tip into an ovenproof dish, cover and cook in the oven for one to one and a half hours or until the pork is tender.
Stir the yoghurt through just before serving, sprinkling with extra paprika if desired.

This is lovely with mashed potato, roast parsnips and a green veg.

INSTANT FRUITY ICE-CREAM - Serves 4

6.5 Syns for the whole recipe

250g frozen fruit - 4 Syns (because of blending)
250g 0% Fat Greek yoghurt
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns

Blend the fruit, yoghurt and honey in a food processor for 20 seconds or until it blends into a smooth ice-cream texture.
Because of the frozen fruit this will all 'freeze' together almost instantly so no need to put it in the freezer! :)
Serve immediately.

I've always been useless at making SW ice-cream the usual way and it always ends up solid but this works every time. Unfortunately, I can't say whether it freezes successfully (can't see any reason why not though) as we have always eaten it immediately! :D

Last edited:
INSTANT FRUITY ICE-CREAM - Serves 4

6.5 Syns for the whole recipe

250g frozen fruit - 4 Syns (because of blending)
250g 0% Fat Greek yoghurt
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns

Blend the fruit, yoghurt and honey in a food processor for 20 seconds or until it blends into a smooth ice-cream texture.
Because of the frozen fruit this will all 'freeze' together almost instantly.
Serve immediately.

I've always been useless at making SW ice-cream the usual way and it always ends up solid but this works every time. Unfortunately, I can't say whether it freezes successfully (can't see any reason why not though) as we have always eaten it immediately! :D

just made some of this last night. was yummy. didn't need to freeze. will deffo be having it more often THANKS :)

I've got some frozen fruit coming first time trying it my tesco delivery comes today will defiantly try this over the weekend YUM thanks kathy Xxx

just made some of this last night. was yummy. didn't need to freeze. will deffo be having it more often THANKS :)

Really glad you liked it, dirtydancing. Thanks for posting what you thought of it too, as I'm sure other people find it helpful to have someone else's opinion, and not always mine! It's lovely and refreshing too, isn't it? Just about to make some myself, as I have some frozen cherries in the freezer. :)

Kathy x

I know what you mean, Katie. You can get fed up with plain old yoghurt and fruit, can't you? Hope you like it, if you give it a go. You too, beachbabetobe. :)

Kathy x

KALE CRISPS

3 Syns for the whole recipe

I know of several ideas for savoury kale crisps (never tried them though) but they all seem to involve oil, in some form or other. This one has fewer Syns as it just has 1 tbsp. sugar in it. Again, I haven't yet tried this but know of several people who have and they say they are gorgeous! :) I'm just trying to amass a few snack recipes so, if anyone tries these before I do, please post what you think of them. Thanks! :)

Bag of kale (pre-washed, if poss)
1 level tbsp. soft, brown sugar
Salt (preferably sea salt)

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Spread some pre-washed but dried kale onto a large baking tray. Cut up any bigger pieces with scissors and then sprinkle it with 1 level tbsp. of soft, brown sugar and a little sea salt.
Bake for about 25 minutes, checking from time to time to make sure they don't burn.
Spread out on a cooling rack to cool and crisp up. Eat immediately.

* Have since tried these and I failed miserably! :S

Last edited:
CHILLI CRAB PASTA - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

160g dried linguine
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - 6 Syns
8 cherry tomatoes - chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 small bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
Pinch of saffron - this does add to the recipe's appearance and taste but don't buy it especially!
Approx. 250g crab meat - fresh from the fishmonger is best but can use tinned.
1 un-waxed lemon

Cook the linguine according to pack instructions.
Put the olive oil into a large pan over a medium heat. Add the tomatoes, garlic, chilli and fennel. Season and cook for 3 minutes.
Add 4 tbsp. of water to the pan, along with the saffron, if using. Simmer over a low heat until the pasta is cooked.
Drain the pasta in a colander. Return to the pan and add the tomato mixture.
Stir through the crab meat and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Serve on hot plates, garnished with a little lemon zest and some fresh, chopped parsley, if you have any to hand.

Maple beans were absolutely delicious Kathy!

I'm not a fan of Kale, but I'm trying spinach crisps tonight, same basic method, but cook for 12 minutes and let rest for 5! :)
X

Mmm, they sound good. Not been to JS yet so might add spinach to my shopping list! Thanks for that, Llamsoks. :)

Kathy x

MUSHROOM STROGANOFF - Serves 2

Syn Free

1 small onion, finely chopped - I always use frozen onion for this 'cos it softens easily in FL.
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
250g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
250g Portabello mushrooms, thinly sliced
150g oyster mushrooms, left whole
1 tsp. paprika and/or dried chilli flakes, to taste
250g FF Greek yoghurt
Handful of fresh parsley

Spray a large frying pan well with Frylight.
Cook the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the mushrooms, a few at a time. Cook until reduced in size before adding the next batch.
Add the spices and then the yoghurt.
Lower the heat a little and continue to cook until the mushrooms reduce down.
Add the parsley and season to taste.

Love this with fresh parmesan grated over, if I have my HEX left.

AMERICAN-STYLE PANCAKES (for when you have Syns to spare) - Serves 6

3 Syns per serving

2 eggs, separated
1 level tsp. icing sugar - 2 Syns
50g Quark
80ml semi-skimmed milk - Take a splash from everyone's HEX's! :D
100g plain flour - 16 Syns
Half tsp. baking powder - negligible as 1 tsp. = 0.5 Syn

Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Add the milk, Quark and mix together.
Mix in the icing sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Slowly sift in the flour whilst whisking. It should be the consistency of thick cream.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites into thick peaks. Carefully, fold into the other mixture.
Spray a frying pan well with Frylight, heat, then add a large spoonful of the mixture.
Fry for about 2 mins. When golden and crisp looking, turn over and cook for about a further minute.
Cook the rest of the mixture in the same way and serve immediately.

Would be lovely served with fresh fruit (mmm, especially blueberries, I should think) and another dollop of Quark or FF fromage frais. If you really want a treat and you can spare the Syns, you could drizzle with a little honey or maple syrup! :)

Back