Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

I've spent every spare minute this week reading through this thread. There are some delicious sounding recipes on here and I can't believe you have taken the time and trouble to share them all! I think I now have my meals mapped out for about the next 3 months. You should write a book - I'd buy it!

Great thread.

MUSHROOM STROGANOFF - Serves 2

Syn Free

1 small onion, finely chopped - I always use frozen onion for this 'cos it softens easily in FL.
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
250g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
250g Portabello mushrooms, thinly sliced
150g oyster mushrooms, left whole
1 tsp. paprika and/or dried chilli flakes, to taste
250g FF Greek yoghurt
Handful of fresh parsley

Spray a large frying pan well with Frylight.
Cook the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the mushrooms, a few at a time. Cook until reduced in size before adding the next batch.
Add the spices and then the yoghurt.
Lower the heat a little and continue to cook until the mushrooms reduce down.
Add the parsley and season to taste.

Love this with fresh parmesan grated over, if I have my HEX left.

Making this for dinner tonight so will let you know how I get on.

I've spent every spare minute this week reading through this thread. There are some delicious sounding recipes on here and I can't believe you have taken the time and trouble to share them all! I think I now have my meals mapped out for about the next 3 months. You should write a book - I'd buy it!

Great thread.

What a lovely thing to say, ladybird! That's really cheered me up, on a day when I'm bogged down with housework! :D So glad they can be of help to you and hope you enjoy the ones you try.

Kathy

SOY CHICKEN - Serves 4

Syn Free

6 tbsp. reduced salt dark soy sauce
4 skinless chicken breasts
3-4 star anise
A 5cm strip of orange zest
2 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal

Heat the soy sauce in a pan large enough to hold the chicken breasts in one layer, until it starts to bubble.
Add the chicken pieces, along with the star anise, orange zest and a few good shakes of ground white pepper.
Cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes, turning every 15 minutes.
Keep an eye on it from time to time, to make sure the sauce doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan. If this starts to happen, just scrape the base of the pan with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula, to release any bits and keep the heat very low. We think these bits add to the yummy flavour but, obviously, if they stick too much it'll just burn everything! :O

Serve the chicken on top of some boiled rice, garnished with the spring onions and with a side of greens. This was originally meant to be cooked with skin-on chicken but it still tastes delicious with skinless.

KALE CRISPS

3 Syns for the whole recipe

I know of several ideas for savoury kale crisps (never tried them though) but they all seem to involve oil, in some form or other. This one has fewer Syns as it just has 1 tbsp. sugar in it. Again, I haven't yet tried this but know of several people who have and they say they are gorgeous! :) I'm just trying to amass a few snack recipes so, if anyone tries these before I do, please post what you think of them. Thanks! :)

Bag of kale (pre-washed, if poss)
1 level tbsp. soft, brown sugar
Salt (preferably sea salt)

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Spread some pre-washed but dried kale onto a large baking tray. Cut up any bigger pieces with scissors and then sprinkle it with 1 level tbsp. of soft, brown sugar and a little sea salt.
Bake for about 25 minutes, checking from time to time to make sure they don't burn.
Spread out on a cooling rack to cool and crisp up. Eat immediately.

Just tried these and, personally, would say - Don't bother!! :S They didn't crisp up and I ended up binning the lot! Might try Llamasoks version tomorrow, as I have some spinach in the fridge but, tbh, don't hold out much hope. :( Maybe it's something to do with how I made them so possibly someone else will have more luck but, for me, it's back to the roast chickpeas! :D

BREAKFAST 'DESSERTS' - Serves 4

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

140g jumbo porridge oats = 4 HEX's
2 ripe pears, cored and diced
2 red apples, cored and diced or whichever combination of fruits you prefer
500g FF natural or flavoured yoghurt
2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Place the oats on a baking tray and roast for 5 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir in the oats.
Serve chilled and drizzled with more honey, if you can spare the Syns.
I absolutely love this breakfast. If it's not sweet enough for you, just sprinkle in some sweetener.

GINGER PORK NOODLES - Serves 4

Just under 2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns
450g pork, all visible fat removed and cut into stir-fry strips
5cm piece of root ginger, peeled and shredded
2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and shredded
1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 level tsp. runny honey - 1 Syn
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
600g dried medium noodles
4 tbsp. dark, soy sauce

Heat a wok or large frying pan and add the oil.
Add the pork strips and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until well sealed and browned.
Add the ginger, peppers, spring onions and chilli and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds.
Mix the soy sauce with the honey and white wine vinegar and pour into the wok with the noodles.
Toss everything together until well combined and cook until the noodles are separated and piping hot.
Serve in warmed bowls.

I usually serve with a side of baby corn and mange tout.

EGGY BREAD BREAKFAST - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, if using oil and the bread as HEX's.

8 rashers of good quality bacon, all visible fat removed
2 medium eggs, beaten
2 tbsp. semi-skimmed milk
4 slices of bread or muffins, halved - 4xHEX's
1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns

Grill the bacon until golden.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, milk and seasoning together. Dip the bread/muffins into the egg mixture, until well soaked.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the bread for 1 minute on each side until golden.
Top with the bacon and serve immediately, topped with tomato ketchup, if enough Syns available!

I have tried this using Frylight and personally think it tastes much better and crisps up more with the oil and, when all said and done, 6 Syns between 4 for such a tasty snack or breakfast isn't too bad. You may, of course, disagree so it's worth trying, just to make it Syn Free! :)

fabulous recipes :D

GARLIC ROAST CHICKEN - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving

1 large, preferably free range, good quality chicken
500g brown rice
125ml dry white wine - 4 Syns
A mix of chopped parsley and thyme
A few bay leaves
2 carrots, chopped
4 rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed, chopped
2 onions, diced
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
Peeled cloves from 4 bulbs of garlic, or more, if preferred

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Tip the rice into a large, lidded casserole dish and stir in the parsley, onions, carrots, bacon and lemon zest.
Put the chicken on top (according to Health and Safety rules now, you are not supposed to wash the chicken first, in case of cross-contamination).
Slash the skin quite a few times with a sharp knife or pair of scissors. Unfortunately, we won't be eating the skin, :( but this will allow the flavours through to the flesh beneath, whilst still retaining the moisture.
Tip the garlic, thyme and bay leaves over the top of the chicken, working some carefully beneath the skin.
Season well with salt and black pepper.
Squeeze the lemons over the top of the chicken and put the remainder of the lemons into the cavity of the chicken.
Pour the wine over the rice and add water to cover it by about 2cm.
Cover the casserole with a lid or large sheet of foil and put on lowest shelf for one and a half hours.
After this, remove the lid and cook for a further half hour.
Make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and the rice and veg are tender before serving (skinless). Keep an eye on things throughout, e.g. water level, etc. as, of course, ovens can vary quite a lot.

WARM CHICKEN SALAD - Serves 4

5 Syns for the whole recipe

4 skinless chicken breasts
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns
1 tbsp. salt-reduced soy sauce
1 level tbsp. tamarind paste - 1 Syns
1 level tbsp. mustard - 1.5 Syns. I use wholegrain but any will do.

Cut the chicken, with a pair of sharp kitchen scissors, into thin strips.
Lie, in a single layer, in a shallow dish.
Mix together all the other ingredients, seasoning with black pepper and a little salt, if you wish (careful of the soy sauce).
Pour this over the chicken strips and leave to marinate for at least half an hour.
When ready to cook, spray a large frying pan well with Frylight and cook the chicken for about 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through and golden.
Serve alongside a crisp salad.

If we're feeling hungry, we also have a jacket, stuffed with HEX cheese with this or, sometimes, a pile of SW spicy wedges. Yum! :D

POTATO DAUPHINOISE - Serves 4-6

2.5 Syns for the whole recipe, if using the cheese as HEX's

500g potatoes
500g sweet potatoes
250g Quark
1 onion, finely chopped, easier with frozen onion - optional
2 level tsp. cornflour - 2.5 Syns
Nutmeg
50b mature Cheddar cheese, grated

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Peel the potatoes but leave them whole. Boil in salted water until just tender when tested with a fork.
Drain, then place into cold water to cool down.
If using onion, spray a small frying pan well with Frylight and cook until softened.
When cool enough to handle, slice across to form rounds about half a centimetre thick.
Put the Quark, garlic, onion, nutmeg and plenty of seasoning into a large, ovenprrof bowl. Add 90ml of water.
In a mug, mix the cornflour into a paste with a tiny amount of cold water. Blend this into the Quark mixture, stirring whilst adding.
Add the potatoes and stir gently to coat in the Quark mixture.
Space the potatoes out evenly, pressing the slices down. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.

This is a lovely side dish. Sometimes I add in some mustard too.

CREAMY BEEF STROGANOFF - Serves 4

0.5 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
350g rump steak, all visible fat removed and sliced into thin strips
2 tbsp. sherry - 1 Syn
1 tbsp. mild paprika
1 tbsp. Worcester Sauce
1 tbsp. tomato puree
2 level tsp. Dijon mustard - 1 Syn
250g Quark

Spray a large non-stick wok or frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened. This is much easier with frozen onion.
Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pan and season well. Cook for about 4 minutes until the mushrooms soften. Transfer this mixture into a bowl and set aside.
Re-spray the pan and add the steak slices, cooking over a high heat until just browned. Don't overcook or the steak will be tough.
Return the mushroom mixture to the pan, add the sherry and, when the sizzling stops, add the paprika and stir for a minute.
Stir in the Worcester sauce, puree and mustard, then remove from the heat.
Add the Quark to the pan and stir well. Gently re-heat until piping hot but do not boil.

Lovely served on warmed plates on a bed of rice.

CREAMY BEEF STROGANOFF - Serves 4

0.5 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
350g rump steak, all visible fat removed and sliced into thin strips
2 tbsp. sherry - 1 Syn
1 tbsp. mild paprika
1 tbsp. Worcester Sauce
1 tbsp. tomato puree
2 level tsp. Dijon mustard - 1 Syn
250g Quark

Spray a large non-stick wok or frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened. This is much easier with frozen onion.
Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pan and season well. Cook for about 4 minutes until the mushrooms soften. Transfer this mixture into a bowl and set aside.
Re-spray the pan and add the steak slices, cooking over a high heat until just browned. Don't overcook or the steak will be tough.
Return the mushroom mixture to the pan, add the sherry and, when the sizzling stops, add the paprika and stir for a minute.
Stir in the Worcester sauce, puree and mustard, then remove from the heat.
Add the Quark to the pan and stir well. Gently re-heat until piping hot but do not boil.

Lovely served on warmed plates on a bed of rice.

That sounds lovely im going to have to try that

TIRAMISU - Serves 4

Just under 4 Syns per serving

2 tsp. coffee powder, preferably Espresso (maybe, add another tsp. if the coffee blend isn't strong)
1 tbsp. Tia Maria or equivalent - 1 Syn (based on 25ml being 3.5 Syns)
3 level tbsp. maple syrup - 6 Syns
250g Quark
Half tsp. vanilla extract
100g FF vanilla yoghurt
8 trifle sponge fingers - 8 Syns

Stir the coffee powder/granules into 50ml boiling water. Cool.
When cooled, stir in the Tia Maria and 1 tbsp. of the maple syrup.
In a bowl, beat the Quark, vanilla extract and remaining maple syrup until smooth.
Stir in the yoghurt.
Break the sponge fingers in half. Dip 2 pieces quickly into the coffee mixture and put into a shallow glass dish or a small glass.
Repeat with the other 3 dishes. Spoon over some of the Quark mixture, then repeat with the other sponge fingers and remaining Quark mixture.
Chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

Depending on how many Syns I have to spare, I sometimes up the amount of sponge fingers and sprinkle the top with some Synned cocoa powder or a little grated chocolate. One square of chocolate, grated, goes a long way and definitely adds to the taste. :D

FRUITY BRANDY SNAP BASKETS - Serves 4. This is one for when you have Syns to spare or when you can use Flexi-Syns. :)

6 Syns per serving

4 shop-bought brandy snap baskets - 20 Syns (5 each)
6 tbsp. FF fromage frais
1.5 tbsp. lemon curd - 4 Syns
150g fresh fruit

Save some fruit for decoration.
Cut the rest into tiny pieces, then fold them into the fromage frais and lemon curd.
Taste and add a little sweetener if desired but don't forget the sweetness from the brandy snap baskets.
Spoon the mixture into the baskets, top with the saved fruit and serve immediately.

MANGO FOOL - Serves 4

Syn Free or not - it's up to you! :)

1 large mango
200g FF fromage frais
1-2 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5-5 Syns (optional)

Syns could also alter if you are sticking rigidly to the SW rules, whereas, because you are blitzing some of the mango, it should be Synned. This is quite hard to do with such a small amount but, as a guide, 100g pureed mango = 3 Syns so the amount used here would be minimal. As it is such a small amount I personally tend not to Syn it but, obviously, this is up to the individual. :)

Cut the mango in half and cut out the flesh.
Put half of this into a food processor and whizz until a smooth puree is formed.
Put this puree into a bowl and stir in the fromage frais and honey, if using.
Chop the rest of the flesh into small chunks and divide half of it between four glasses.
Top this with some of the puree, then repeat the layering, reserving a few mango chunks for the top.
Serve immediately or chill in the fridge, covered with cling-film.

FRUITY BRANDY SNAP BASKETS - Serves 4. This is one for when you have Syns to spare or when you can use Flexi-Syns. :)

6 Syns per serving

4 shop-bought brandy snap baskets - 20 Syns (5 each)
6 tbsp. FF fromage frais
1.5 tbsp. lemon curd - 4 Syns
150g fresh fruit

Save some fruit for decoration.
Cut the rest into tiny pieces, then fold them into the fromage frais and lemon curd.
Taste and add a little sweetener if desired but don't forget the sweetness from the brandy snap baskets.
Spoon the mixture into the baskets, top with the saved fruit and serve immediately.

Oh,haven't had brandy snaps in years!!! Will make this a treat night dessert I think :)

There is a recipe for syn free lemon curd so would cut down on 1 syn x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back