Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

LEMON BEEF CURRY - Serves 4-6, but I've based it on 4. Modified from a recipe by James Ash.

1 Syn per serving

1 level tbsp. Thai red curry paste - 1 Syn
1 tsp. chilli flakes
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped - I use frozen because it softens better in Frylight.
700g extra lean stewing steak, all visible fat removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 beef stock pot
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 level tbsp. brown sugar - 3 Syns
1 tsp. light, salt-reduced soy sauce
1 tbsp. fish sauce - Blue Dragon nam pla is Free

Spray a large pan well with Frylight and heat the curry paste, chilli flakes, garlic and onion for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the beef and cook until browned all over.
Add the stock pot, 500ml of water, lemon juice, sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce. Stir well.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer very gently for 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
Season to taste.

Gorgeous served with plain boiled rice and, if I have any in, I scatter shredded spring onions/shallots over the top. Usually have it with a side of greens.

SWISS SPINACH WITH SMOKED BACON - Serves 4

Syn Free

6 rashers of thinly sliced smoked bacon, all visible fat removed.
200g fresh spinach
Nutmeg

Cook the bacon under the grill until cooked through.
Spray a large pan well with Frylight and sauté the spinach and garlic until just cooked, adding the chopped bacon during the final two minutes of cooking.
Season to taste with pepper and a touch of nutmeg. The nutmeg really does make all the difference.
I only add a tiny pinch of salt to this recipe because of the bacon.

This makes a lovely, easy side dish, that goes with just about anything.

PORK CHOPS IN A MARINADE - Serves 4. A modified version of a recipe by Jun Tanaka.

7 Syns for the whole recipe

4 level tbsp. reduced sugar and salt tomato ketchup - 2 Syns
2 tbsp. reduced salt soy sauce
2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 pork chops, all visible fat removed

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Spray a large frying pan with Frylight.
Spray the chops with Frylight, on both sides, then season with salt and black pepper, also on both sides.
Heat the frying pan, then place the chops in, cooking for 1-2 minutes on either side, until starting to go lightly golden.
Meanwhile, place all the marinade ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
Spoon the marinade over the chops and transfer to the oven for about 7 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through.

These are lovely served with garlic mash, especially when it's seasoned with a large pinch of smoked paprika.

HONEY BAKED PLUMS - Serves 2

Sorry. Can't accurately Syn this as, of course, it depends on the weight of the plums but it's still a low-Syn pud! :)

6 plums, cut in half and the stones removed - 1.5 Syns per cooked 100g
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 level tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Spray a shallow baking dish with Frylight and place the plums, cut side up, into it.
Sprinkle with the cinnamon and drizzle the honey evenly over.
Bake on the middle shelf for about 15 minutes.

Lovely served with FF Greek yoghurt or half-fat crème fraiche (Synned).

SOUFFLE BERRY OMELETTE - Serves 1

3 Syns

3 eggs, separated
2 tbsp. granulated sweetener
Assorted berries
60ml Quark
1 level tbsp. icing sugar - 3 Syns. Suppose you could eliminate any Syns by using sweetener but, as I never had, I thought I'd better stick to the original recipe! :)
Vanilla extract

Pre-heat the grill.
Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Add the sweetener and whisk until glossy looking.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until creamy. Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
In another bowl, mix the Quark with the icing sugar and vanilla extract.
Spray a non-stick, small frying pan with Frylight, preferably Butter FL. Heat, then add the egg mixture, cooking until golden underneath, approx. 3-4 mins.
Place under the grill and continue to cook until the top is golden and not runny.
Tip onto a warmed plate, scatter over the berries and fold in half.
Serve immediately with the Quark 'cream'.

Last edited:
CHICKPEA AND CHORIZO IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

6.5 Syns for the whole recipe

400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
100g diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
1 medium-sized BNS, peeled and cubed (easier to peel after being in microwave for about 4 mins)
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tsp. turmeric

Put everything into the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6-7 hours. Season to taste but be careful with the salt.

CHICKPEA AND CHORIZO IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

6.5 Syns for the whole recipe

400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
100g diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
1 medium-sized BNS, peeled and cubed (easier to peel after being in microwave for about 4 mins)
1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tsp. turmeric

Put everything into the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6-7 hours. Season to taste but be careful with the salt.

sounds lovely.

PIPERADE - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 large onion, finely chopped (I use frozen, as it softens easily in Frylight)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
85g ham, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
8 eggs, beaten

Spray a large frying pan well with Frylight and fry the onion gently until softened.
Add the garlic and peppers. Cook for a further 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until any liquid has evaporated.
Pour the eggs into the pan, season to taste with salt and black pepper and scramble, stirring frequently.
Serve on warmed plates.

Lovely for lunch, especially when served with a HEX hot toast/crusty bread and a HEX sprinkling of grated cheese, if you can spare it! :)

CHORIZO AND BUTTER BEAN STEW - Serves 4. This is a take on a recipe by Angela Boggiano.

Approx. 3 Syns per serving

180g dried butter beans
200g diced chorizo - 13 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped or, again, I use frozen, as they soften quickly in Frylight
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
500ml hot chicken stock
A few sprigs of thyme
Grated zest of 1 lemon

Soak the beans in a bowl of water overnight.
The next day, place the beans in a pan and cover with lots of fresh water. Bring to the boil and simmer rapidly for 1 hour until just tender. Drain.
Gently fry the chorizo until starting to brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onion, garlic and chilli to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until the onion begins to soften.
Add the tomatoes, stock, thyme and lemon zest and add the chorizo and beans to the pan. Mix well, bring to the boil and simmer, partially covered, for one and a quarter hours or until the sauce is thick and the beans are meltingly tender.
Check the seasoning and discard the thyme sprigs.

Gorgeous served with a HEX portion of crusty bread!! Yes, I know, I know, I'm obsessed with chorizo!! :D

I have never made this with canned butter beans but presume it would still taste amazing.

CHICKEN IN LEMON SAUCE - Serves 4

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts
65ml lemon juice - Jif will do
4 tbsp. unsweetened apple juice - 1 Syn approx.
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. ground coriander
Half tsp. ground ginger
Half tsp. turmeric
1 small onion, very finely chopped or even grated
1 tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns

Combine all the ingredients, except the honey and chicken. Mix thoroughly.
Put the chicken into the marinade and coat. Cover and put in fridge for at least 30 mins.
Spray a large pan with Frylight. Cook the chicken for about 25 mins or until thoroughly cooked through, turning occasionally.
Add the honey and continue cooking for another 10 mins, stirring occasionally.

I sometimes add in a couple of tbsp. of white wine too and add half a Syn.

Gorgeous served with rice and greens.

Last edited:
CHICKEN IN LEMON SAUCE - Serves 4

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts
65ml lemon juice - Jif will do
4 tbsp. unsweetened apple juice - 1 Syn approx.
1 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. ground coriander
Half tsp. ground ginger
Half tsp. turmeric
1 small onion, very finely chopped or even grated
1 tbsp. runny honey - 2.5 Syns

Combine all the ingredients, except the honey and chicken. Mix thoroughly.
Put the chicken into the marinade and coat. Cover and put in fridge for at least 30 mins.
Spray a large pan with Frylight. Cook the chicken for about 25 mins or until thoroughly cooked through, turning occasionally.
Add the honey and continue cooking for another 10 mins, stirring occasionally.

Gorgeous served with rice and greens.

this sounds fab, really need to try it!

FULL INDEX ON PAGES 55 AND 98

PRAWN AND BUTTER BEAN FOR THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
500ml fish or veg stock
200g basmati rice
400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
Half to one tsp. chilli flakes
400g cooked, peeled prawns

Put the onions, turmeric, tomatoes, red pepper and stock into the slow cooker. Mix well, cover and cook on High for 3-4 hours.
Add the rice, beans and chilli flakes. Mix well, cover and cook on High for another 30 minutes.
Add the prawns, season with pepper, gently mix - don't be too rough or the rice will go mushy - and cook for a further 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Serve on warmed plates immediately.

Last edited:
MACARONI CHEESE - Serves 2

4.5 Syns per serving

2 medium leeks, trimmed, washed and cut into thin rounds
2 tsp. olive oil - 4 Syns
4 level tbsp. BGTY half-fat crème fraiche - 2 Syns
2 level tbsp. wholegrain mustard - 3 Syns
150g dried wholegrain penne pasta
30g mature Cheddar cheese, grated - 2 x HEX's
1 slice wholegrain bread, from 800g loaf, blitzed into breadcrumbs - 1 x HEX or 2 half HEX's

Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, until al dente. Make sure it is not over-cooked.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and cook the leeks for about 10 minutes or until soft and starting to turn golden.
Stir the crème fraiche, mustard and cooked pasta into the leeks, along with two thirds of the cheese.
Season with black pepper.
Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish, which has been sprayed with Frylight.
Mix the remaining cheese into the breadcrumbs and sprinkle evenly over the pasta mixture.
Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the topping is golden.

Lovely served with a salad.

If I want it a bit more creamy/saucy, I stir in some Quark, along with the crème fraiche.

MINI CHEESECAKES - Serves 6. This recipe is courtesy of Slimming Eats.

Approx. 3.5 Syns each

300g Quark
Quarter of a mug of granulated sweetener - or to taste. Just keep tasting to test. :)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
8 Oreo biscuits - 20 Syns (2.5 each)

Pre-heat the oven to 140C/Gas 1.
Line half a 12 space muffin tray with paper cases. Put one Oreo biscuit in each paper case.
In a large bowl, whisk together the Quark and sweetener until smooth.
Add the vanilla extract and slowly whisk in the egg.
Add the two remaining Oreo biscuits to a plastic food bag. Bash with a rolling pin, until they are in small crumbs.
Stir the crumbs thoroughly into the Quark mixture.
Spoon the mixture equally into the paper cases.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until the filling has set. Allow to cool and then refrigerate for approx. 4 hours, at least, before serving.

MINI CHEESECAKES - Serves 6. This recipe is courtesy of Slimming Eats.

Approx. 3.5 Syns each

300g Quark
Quarter of a mug of granulated sweetener - or to taste. Just keep tasting to test. :)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
8 Oreo biscuits - 20 Syns (2.5 each)

Pre-heat the oven to 140C/Gas 1.
Line half a 12 space muffin tray with paper cases. Put one Oreo biscuit in each paper case.
In a large bowl, whisk together the Quark and sweetener until smooth.
Add the vanilla extract and slowly whisk in the egg.
Add the two remaining Oreo biscuits to a plastic food bag. Bash with a rolling pin, until they are in small crumbs.
Stir the crumbs thoroughly into the Quark mixture.
Spoon the mixture equally into the paper cases.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until the filling has set. Allow to cool and then refrigerate for approx. 4 hours, at least, before serving.

I'm soooo looking forward to trying this out.

Just want to say a really big thank you to Kathy and nanny Doreen.

I am restarting in earnest today and I've been through and printed about 20 of the earlier recipes I had forgotten about. Think it will be mustard chicken tonight :)

Your hard work in posting and organising all these recipes helps me no end! Thanks so much for your efforts!!

You are so very welcome, Sparty. It's lovely comments like yours that make me think it's worth continuing to post recipes, knowing they are hopefully helping people out. Good luck with your renewed effort too! :) And, I know, Nanny Doreen is so amazing, offering to create and maintain the index for such a techno-phobe as me! It's so helpful. :)

Kathy xx

FARMHOUSE MEATLOAF - Serves 4

3 Syns for the whole loaf

500g extra-lean minced beef
1 carrot, grated
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 egg
200ml passata with added chilli
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tsp Worcester Sauce
1 level tbsp. soft brown sugar
1 handful of freshly chopped basil

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Spray a large pan with Frylight and cook the onion until softened.
Pour the passata into a bowl, along with the basil leaves, garlic, tomato puree, Worcester sauce and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Mix well.
Add the minced beef, grated carrot, onion, egg and enough of the passata mixture to bind it all together.
Spray a non-stick 2lb loaf tin with Frylight and tip in the minced beef mixture.
Brush the top of the meatloaf with some of the remaining passata mixture.
Bake in the centre of the oven for one hour/one hour and ten minutes, brushing the top with the remaining passata mixture half way through the cooking time.

Lovely with SW wedges and veg. We usually just have peas with ours. I, occasionally, add in other finely chopped veg, such as peppers, grated courgettes, etc.

BERRY MOUSSE - Serves 4

2.5 Syns each serving, if using ginger biscuit

2 x 250g tubs of Quark
50g (or to taste) of granulated sweetener
1 or 2 squeezes of lemon juice (or to taste). Jif lemon will do.
250g pack of frozen raspberries
4 Ginger-nut biscuits (optional) - 10 Syns

Tip the Quark and sweetener into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and beat until smooth.
When ready to eat, stir the frozen raspberries through, until they start to streak the mixture with pink.
Spoon into glasses and serve.

This can also be made with thawed or partially-thawed raspberries, depending on whether you want them to have a bit of crunch to them or not.
If using the Ginger-nut biscuits, put them into a food bag and bash with a wooden rolling pin until small pieces are left. I either put some in the bottom of the glass and some on top or stir them through the 'mousse'. Obviously, different biscuits could be used or smashed up, Synned meringue nests but I like the gingery bite, along with the raspberry and lemon flavours. :)

CHICKEN BURGERS - Serves 2

5 Syns per serving (but worth it), if using rolls as HEX's.

2 HEX size burger rolls
Either 1 skinless chicken breast or chicken mince
2 level tbsp. red pesto - 5 Syns

For the sauce.

2 tbsp. FF Greek yoghurt - I use 0% Total
2 level tbsp. red pesto - 5 Syns

Cut the chicken into four pieces and place in a food processor, along with 2 tbsp. of pesto. Blend until it looks like mince.
Shape into burger shapes, spray a frying pan with Frylight and cook over a medium heat for about 12 minutes, turning frequently.
For the sauce - mix the yoghurt and the remaining 2 tbsp. of pesto together.

Assemble the burgers by spreading half the pesto sauce on the base of the rolls, topping with salad leaves and thinly sliced tomato, then the burger, remaining sauce and the bread roll top! Enjoy!

I sometimes add some grilled bacon to this and, of course, you could use green pesto, if you prefer but don't forget to add an extra 2 Syns to the whole recipe.

Back