Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

GARLIC SWEET POTATO CHIPS - Serves 4 (if you REALLY want to share them!) :)

0.5 Syns per serving

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthways into 1.5cm slices, then again into 1.5cm lengths of chip shapes
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
1 pinch of dried chilli flakes - optional. I don't bother because I'm a spice wimp! :D
1 tsp. garlic infused olive oil - 2 Syns

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Put the chipped potatoes into a large bowl or food bag and add the rest of the ingredients, tossing well until coated all over.
Put the chips, spread out, onto a baking tray. Cover with foil.
Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the foil and turn the oven down to 180C/Gas 4.
Put the chips back into the oven for a further 30 minutes, turning half way through.
Eat!!! :D

Now, I know you can make these totally Syn Free, by using Frylight but, it doesn't matter what I do - pre-cooking, not pre-cooking, starting off in the microwave, rinsing thoroughly, drying thoroughly, etc. - I just can't make lovely, crisp SW chips! These, however, are absolutely gorgeous and, for half a Syn each, who cares!!!! :D x

INDEX PAGES - PAGE 55 and 98

SAUSAGE JAMBALAYA - Serves 4

Syn Free

8 Syn Free SW sausages
1 onion, finely diced - or use frozen
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground turmeric
Quarter of a tsp. mild chilli powder - or to taste
200g wholegrain rice
450ml veg or chicken stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
150 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small courgette, thinly sliced

Spray a large pan with Frylight and cook the sausages until browned on all sides.
Add the onion, garlic, turmeric, chilli powder and rice and stir for 30 seconds.
Pour in the stock and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover with lid and cook for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Keep a close eye on it towards the end of cooking to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom.
Once the cooking time is over, remove the sausages and chop them into bite size pieces, then return to the pan.
Add the courgette and mushroom slices and cook gently for a further 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently.
Once all the liquid is absorbed, check the sausages are thoroughly cooked and serve.

Lovely with a crunchy side salad.

Last edited:
BEEF THAI SALAD - Serves 4. This is a take on an Andrew MacKenzie recipe.

1 Syn for the whole recipe

300g cooked roast beef, cut into thin strips. Great for using up beef from a Sunday roast or, worth buying in especially, from the deli counter.
1 head of Chinese leaf
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
2 tomatoes
2 spring onions, sliced
200g cucumber
300g dried rice noodles

Dressing

1 lime
10 ml reduced-salt soy sauce
1 tsp. light brown sugar - 1 Syn

Cook the noodles according to pack instructions and set aside.
Cut the Chinese leaf into strips and place in a large salad bowl.
Cut the tomatoes into wedges and add to the bowl.
Cut the cucumber in half and remove the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut into 8cm long strips and mix into the salad.
Add the diced pepper and sliced spring onions to the bowl, with the cooked noodles. Mix gently.
For the dressing - put the sugar in a bowl. Add the lime juice and stir until the sugar dissolves. Then add the soy sauce.
The next bit is optional, as you can just leave the beef cold.
However, if you like, spray a pan well with Frylight and fry the strips of beef until warmed through.
Tip the dressing into the salad and toss gently, until thoroughly combined.
Lay the strips of beef on top and serve.

HONEYED SALMON WITH RICE - Serves 2

1 Syn per serving

2 fresh salmon fillets
2 level tsp. runny honey - 2 Syns
100g cooked wholegrain rice
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
100g canned sweetcorn, drained
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced

Put the salmon fillets on a foil lined baking tray, skin side down and spread with the honey.
Cook in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes or until the salmon is thoroughly cooked through.
Combine the rice and prepared veg in a bowl.
Serve with the rice divided between two plates and the salmon placed on top, with a crunchy salad on the side.

ANOTHER HUNTERS CHICKEN - Serves 2

0.5 Syn per serving

1 onion, thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
Half tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. paprika
4 rashers of smoked bacon
2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
6 chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. tomato puree
3 tbsp. sherry - 1 Syn
200ml hot chicken stock

Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and fry the onion, garlic, bacon, chicken and mushrooms over a high heat, until coloured.
Add the rosemary and paprika, along with some seasoning.
Pour in the sherry and let it evaporate off, whilst stirring.
Add the hot chicken stock, bring to the boil, then let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and allowing some of the liquid to evaporate off until a rich sauce is formed.

Lovely served with rice, mash or SW roasties and a green veg. Also lovely served with a dollop of half-fat sour cream. 1 tbsp. = 1 Syn.

Last edited:
BANANA ICE CREAM - Serves 2

7.5 Syns per serving. Admittedly, the Syns are high but, if you're anything like me, sometimes I reach the end of the day, realising I haven't needed to use any of my Syns so, how better to spend them?! :D Usually, though, I write my week's menu out so I can allow for yummies like this!

3 over-ripe, medium sized bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen
4 tbsp. milk, taken from the HEX allowances

Before starting, make sure the pieces of banana are thoroughly frozen.
Place the frozen banana pieces into a food processor and pulse on and off for about one minute. It does sound awful but, stick with it.
Once the frozen banana has started to break up a bit, you can put the food processor on continuously, until the banana resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add the milk to the food processor and keep blending, scraping the bits from the side from time to time, until a thick and creamy ice cream consistency is reached.
Gorgeous served with fresh berries.

This recipe is from a site called The Kitchen Shed, which concentrates on 'clean eating'.

PORK AND PARMESAN BURGERS - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using the cheese and breadcrumbs as part HEX's

300g extra lean minced pork
25g grated, fresh Parmesan
Large handful of fresh breadcrumbs
Half a leek, finely diced

Spray a pan well with Frylight and cook the diced leek until softened.
In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, mince, pork and seasoning to taste.
When it has cooled, add the leek to the mixture.
Mix thoroughly with your hands and form into burgers.
Spray a frying pan with Frylight and fry gently for 12-15 minutes or until browned.
Put the burgers onto a baking tray and finish off cooking them in the oven for 10 minutes.

SALMON AND LEEK TAGLIATELLE - Serves 4

4 Syns per serving

400g dried tagliatelle
360g fresh salmon, skinned and cubed
440g leeks, thinly sliced
200g Boursin Light with garlic and herbs - 12 Syns
10g butter - 3.5 Syns

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
Heat the butter in a large pan, add the leeks, cover and sweat over a medium heat for 5 minutes to soften.
Add the salmon to the pan, cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the salmon is just able to flake.
Add the Boursin cheese and drained pasta and stir gently so the Boursin begins to melt.
Serve immediately, maybe with a crunchy salad on the side.

I have tried omitting the butter from this, to save on Syns but, it doesn't work as well and definitely doesn't taste as good so, if you can spare the Syns, go for it!! :D

CAULIFLOWER CURRY - Serves 4

Approx. 3.5 Syns per serving

500g cauliflower florets, cut into bite-size pieces
1 onion, diced
200g mushrooms, sliced
400g sweet potato, diced
200g sugar snap peas
150ml veg stock, made with 2 stock cubes
2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. of mild curry powder
1 tsp. garam masala
Quarter of a tsp. ground ginger
400ml can Blue Dragon Light coconut milk - 14.5 Syns

Spray a roasting tin well with Frylight and spread the cauliflower pieces, onion and sweet potato out onto it. Spray the veg well with Frylight and roast for 40-45 minutes, respraying as necessary.
Spray a pan with Frylight and cook the mushroom slices over a low/medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 5 minutes, add the crushed garlic, the spices and some seasoning to the pan and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Pour the coconut milk and the hot stock into the pan and bring to the boil.
Once bubbling, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
After the 10 minutes, add the roasted cauliflower, onion and sweet potato and continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
After this time, add the sugar snap peas and cook, covered for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

If I want a stronger flavour I roast some unpeeled garlic cloves, with the cauliflower and, at the end of the roasting time, once the cloves have cooled sufficiently, I cut the end off each clove and squeeze the lovely, roasted garlic into the pan containing the coconut milk.

Lovely served with wholegrain rice.

GARLIC SWEET POTATO CHIPS - Serves 4 (if you REALLY want to share them!) :)

0.5 Syns per serving

4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthways into 1.5cm slices, then again into 1.5cm lengths of chip shapes
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
1 pinch of dried chilli flakes - optional. I don't bother because I'm a spice wimp! :D
1 tsp. garlic infused olive oil - 2 Syns

Put the chipped potatoes into a large bowl or food bag and add the rest of the ingredients, tossing well until coated all over.
Put the chips, spread out, onto a baking tray. Cover with foil.
Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the foil and turn the oven down to 180C/Gas 4.
Put the chips back into the oven for a further 30 minutes, turning half way through.
Eat!!! :D

Now, I know you can make these totally Syn Free, by using Frylight but, it doesn't matter what I do - pre-cooking, not pre-cooking, starting off in the microwave, rinsing thoroughly, drying thoroughly, etc. - I just can't make lovely, crisp SW chips! These, however, are absolutely gorgeous and, for half a Syn each, who cares!!!! :D x

I can`t make them crispy either. Used to have a spray oil thingy but have thrown it out. Cannot buy oil. :mad:

Index 41and73

Last edited:
I know. Sometimes only 'proper' oil will do! :D Don't think one teaspoon is being too outrageous though - especially not when they taste as good as these! Hope you're having fun with your grandchildren, Doreen, or have they worn you out yet! :D xx

I know. Sometimes only 'proper' oil will do! :D Don't think one teaspoon is being too outrageous though - especially not when they taste as good as these! Hope you're having fun with your grandchildren, Doreen, or have they worn you out yet! :D xx

They did wear me out Kathy. They were here from Tuesday till Sunday t.time.I am feeling more refreshed now. I really enjoy having them. We have a great rapport. They always both want to sleep with me. I miss them when they are gone, but will generally see them at least one week in three.

However have a family get together Fri to Sun, more food. I am to make some corned beef & onion pies. They are lovely and a family favourite. I know somebody who will be putting on some lbs this weekend. Still will have 4 days to get them off again.

CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH LINGUINE - Serves 4

Syn Free

907g BNS, peeled , seeded and cut into small bite-size pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
A third to a quarter of red pepper flakes (could use chilli flakes)
480ml vegetable stock
340g dried linguine pasta

Spray a large pan well with Frylight and add the onion, squash, garlic and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook gently until the onion is becoming translucent.
Add the stock and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, until the squash is soft and the liquid has reduced by about half. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the pasta according to pack instructions, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
Drain, reserving one cup of the cooking liquid.
Once the squash mixture is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
Transfer the mixture to a blender, maybe in batches, and puree until smooth. Check the seasoning and adjust, if necessary.
Combine the squash mixture, the pasta and a quarter of the reserved cooking liquid, in the pan, adding more cooking liquid if required, to bring it to a coating consistency. The sauce should coat the pasta, without being too thin to run off.
Serve on warmed plates, maybe topped off with a HEX portion of shaved Parmesan each.

I haven't actually made this recipe but it looks absolutely amazing and will be doing so soon. You can see it on a blog called Cookie and Kate, illustrated with full colour photos.

BNS I cube it with the skin on and boil or roast till soft,
I cook tagliatelle - then leave some of the water in it and put a big spoonful of Philadelphia cheese and mix itg. It makes a lovely sauce whatever flavour you use. I like the chilli one or garlic & herbs.

TANDOORI CHICKEN AND POTATOES - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 tsp. cayenne pepper
50g FF natural yoghurt
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
800g potatoes, cut into small roastie sizes
1 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. Garam Masala

Spray a small frying pan well with Frylight and stir in the cayenne, cooking gently for 30 seconds. Allow to cool.
Whisk the cayenne into the yoghurt and stir in the ginger and garlic.
Pour over the chicken pieces and allow to marinate for about 6 hours in the fridge.
When ready to cook, pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Spray the potatoes well with Frylight and put into a food bag with some seasoning and the turmeric, shaking to mix well.
Spray a baking tray, covered in tin foil, really well with Frylight and lay the potatoes out on this, spraying once again.
Spear the chicken pieces onto skewers and place on another baking tray.
Place the potato tray on the top shelf of the oven 15 minutes before putting the kebabs in. Bake for a further 25 minutes, turning the potatoes once and the kebabs, several times.
Sprinkle the garam masala over the potatoes a few minutes before the end of cooking.
Place the kebabs under a pre-heated grill and cook for 5-6 minutes to finish.

Lovely served with wilted spinach.

Thank you for all the wondeful ideas in this thread!

CHICKEN MELT - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving, if using the Mozarella as HEX's.

150g diced chorizo - 10 Syns
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 green pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
2 red onions, finely sliced
2 red chilli peppers, deseeded and finely sliced
A couple of pinches of paprika
130g or more of reduced fat Mozarella - this is the equivalent of 2 HEX's. Could combine with mature Cheddar, if preferred.

Heat a frying pan and add the chorizo, cooking until it starts to crisp up and release all the yummy oils.
Remove and set aside.
Add the sliced onion to the chorizo oils and cook for a couple of minutes, before adding in the peppers and chillies. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions and peppers soften.
Put the chicken fillets between two sheets of cling film and bash until thinner, using a wooden rolling pin or similar.
Spray a shallow ovenproof dish with Frylight, season the chicken with a little salt and pepper and lay side by side in the dish.
Top the chicken breasts with the onion mixture. Put the chorizo on top of this layer and finish with the grated Mozarella, sprinkled with the paprika.
Cover with tin foil and cook for about 20 minutes.
Remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes or so, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through and the cheese has melted.
Serve immediately. We usually have it with some SW friendly chips and a big side salad.

My OH thinks he's died and gone to heaven and doesn't believe it fits in with SW! :D

VEGGIE BURGERS - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving, if using breadcrumbs as part HEX's.

2 x 400g cans butterbeans, drained and rinsed
3 level tbsp. red pesto - 7.5 Syns
115g fresh breadcrumbs (60g = 1 HEX)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red onion, finely chopped
Chilli flakes to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Put the drained beans and pesto into a food processor and process until smooth.
Add the breadcrumbs, onion, garlic and chilli flakes and black pepper to taste. Process lightly to combine, leaving some texture in the mixture.
With damp hands, shape the mixture into 8 burgers. Place on a baking tray, lined with baking parchment.
Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden.

Really tasty either in a bread roll (Synned) with salad leaves, tomato and maybe, some HEX cheese or we like them with SW wedges and baked beans or jacket, stuffed with HEX cheese and baked beans.

Last edited:
Back