Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

PRAWN AND CHILLI SPAGHETTI - Serves 2

Syn Free

150g dried spaghetti
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
200g frozen, raw prawns, defrosted and dried off with kitchen roll
Handful of fresh rocket
Zest of half a lemon

Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions and reserve 3 tbsp. of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, spray a non-stick pan with Frylight and cook the garlic for about 30 seconds.
Add the chilli and tomato and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the prawns and cook until pink and cooked through (2-3 mins).
Add the drained pasta to the pan, along with the reserved cooking liquid. Toss until coated.
Remove from the heat, stir through the zest and rocket and serve immediately.

Must admit, we can't get enough of this!!

Printed the prawn and chilli spaghetti to make tomorrow evening, sounds right up our street. Thanks Kathy :)

Oh, good! You're very welcome. Can't promise I'll be so well behaved in Liverpool tomorrow night! My daughter and I are booked into What's Cooking at Albert Dock so, somehow, I think the Syns will be through the roof!! :D x

My daughter and I both loved the chilli prawn spaghetti and had extra veg with it and a side salad too. Hubby was a bit miffed it wasn't bolognese but he's such a stick in the mud with food lol. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Really glad you liked it, cloudy. Sorry about hubby's disappointment! :D My partner is completely unadventurous when it comes to food! Have to kid him sometimes and, quite often, when I've given him something he says he doesn't like (in disguise), he asks for seconds! Men!!

Kathy x

PRAWN AND CHILLI SPAGHETTI - Serves 2

Syn Free

150g dried spaghetti
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
200g frozen, raw prawns, defrosted and dried off with kitchen roll
Handful of fresh rocket
Zest of half a lemon

Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions and reserve 3 tbsp. of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, spray a non-stick pan with Frylight and cook the garlic for about 30 seconds.
Add the chilli and tomato and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the prawns and cook until pink and cooked through (2-3 mins).
Add the drained pasta to the pan, along with the reserved cooking liquid. Toss until coated.
Remove from the heat, stir through the zest and rocket and serve immediately.

Must admit, we can't get enough of this!!

Ooooh this sounds lovely! I am on the lookout for new things to try this week as I am back on plan after an extended leave of absence lol. Will be trying this at some point this week.

Hubby-to-be is a stick in the mud with food too! Up until a few years ago he wouldnt eat anything apart from oxtail soup, chips, potatoes and gravy (along with crisps and chocolate)!! Its been a struggle to get him to try anything!!

Wow! Must be quite tricky for you. My partner hadn't even tried pizza until he was 22 and hadn't had a baked potato until he was 18 because his Mum had told him it was bad for you and unhygienic to eat them in their skins!! Honestly - some mothers have a lot to answer for! :D x

CREAMY SPICY CHICKEN - Serves 2

Approx. 3.5 Syns for the whole recipe

2 large skinless chicken breasts, chopped
3 large mushrooms, chopped
Quarter can of Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 3.5 Syns (approx.)
1 tbsp. tomato puree
4 cloves of garlic, crushed - less if you're not too keen
1 tbsp. reduced salt soy sauce
Quarter tsp. ground nutmeg
Quarter tsp. coriander
Quarter tsp. mint
Half tsp. dried chilli flakes (more or less to taste)

Combine the last four ingredients in a bowl, along with some black pepper, and make into a paste, using a pestle and mortar.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight.
Fry the chicken until thoroughly cooked through.
Add the mushrooms and paste and continue to cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes.
Add the puree and the coconut milk and simmer gently for 10 minutes. If the sauce is too runny, add half a tsp. of cornflour to thicken it up but, don't forget the Syns - 3.5 per 1 level tbsp.

Serve with Syn Free noodles, pasta or rice and some veg.

Last edited:
CREAMY SPICY CHICKEN - Serves 2

Approx. 3.5 Syns for the whole recipe

2 large skinless chicken breasts, chopped
3 large mushrooms, chopped
Quarter can of Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 3.5 Syns (approx.)
1 tbsp. tomato puree
4 cloves of garlic, crushed - less if you're not too keen
1 tbsp. reduced salt soy sauce
Quarter tsp. ground nutmeg
Quarter tsp. coriander
Quarter tsp. mint
Half tsp. dried chilli flakes (more or less to taste)

Combine the last four ingredients in a bowl, along with some black pepper, and make into a paste, using a pestle and mortar.
Fry the chicken until thoroughly cooked through.
Add the mushrooms and paste and continue to cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes.
Add the puree and the coconut milk and simmer gently for 10 minutes. If the sauce is too runny, add half a tsp. of cornflour to thicken it up but, don't forget the Syns - approx. 2 Syns.

Serve with Syn Free noodles, pasta or rice and some veg.

Sounds delicious! Will have to try this :)

CHICKEN HARIYALI TIKKA - Serves 4

Syn Free

Half a bunch of fresh coriander
10 mint leaves
1 x 2cm piece of fresh ginger
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 green chilli, deseeded
1 tsp. salt
450g skinless chicken breasts, diced

Puree everything, except the chicken, in a food processor.
Put the chicken into a large bowl, add the mixture and rub all over the chicken pieces. Cover and leave in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
Put the chicken into a baking dish and cook under a low to moderate grill for about 20 minutes or until the juices run clear. Take care to not over-cook, as the chicken should be succulently moist.

CAJUN BLACKENED CHICKEN - Serves 2

Syn Free

1 tsp. paprika
Half tsp. cayenne
Half tsp. ground cumin
Tip of a tsp. of dried thyme - tiny amount
Large pinch of garlic powder
Large pinch of white pepper
2 skinless chicken breasts

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Mix together all the spices, with a shake of salt added too.
Rub the chicken breasts all over with the mixture.
Spray a non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and heat over quite a high heat.
Put the chicken in the pan, and cook for 1 minute.
Turn and cook for 1 minute on the other side.
Place the chicken on a baking tray lined with non-stick parchment and bake for approx. 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through.

Best to leave the chicken to rest (covered with foil, to keep warm) for 10 minutes, to allow muscle to relax, releasing the juices throughout the breast.
Lovely served with salad and SW fries or new potatoes/jacket. Also delicious served on a HEX bread roll, topped with HEX melted cheese and some Synned mayo or Nando's sauce - Synned.

CHILLI PORK STIR-FRY Serves 4

Syn Free

225g bamboo shoots, drained
400g chopped tomatoes
500g extra lean minced pork - I ask my butcher to mince very lean pork loin steaks for this
1 onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tsp. chilli powder or, to taste
2 tbsp. reduced salt soy sauce

Cook the onion and red pepper until softened.
Add the garlic, chilli powder and mince to the pan and stir-fry until the mince is browned.
Add the bamboo shoots and tomatoes and stir-fry on a moderate/high heat for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the soy sauce and serve.

Hot Lamb & Potato Curry slow cooker!...

To feed 5

0.5 kg of casserole lamb (I don't like a lot of meat so please feel freed to adapt!). Fat trimmed
5 potatoes
1 small punnet of mushrooms (I used button)
3 medium onions
1-2 red/green peppers
3 carrots grated
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 carton of passata
1x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
5 tbsp of tomato puree
2tbsp garam masala
2tbsp curry powder (I used medium)
1tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp paprika
1tsp coriander
Fry light
Salt & Black pepper

How to make

1. Cut potatoes into quarters if large. Par-boil for around 10 mins or until slightly soft. Remove from heat.
2. Fry in fry light lamb, onion, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, garlic until softened
3. Add all spices and fry on a lower heat for around 5mins
4. Add meat etc and potatoes to slow cooker. Add passata, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes.
5. Season according to taste.

This is pretty much a one pot wonder but very yummy and flavoursome. I left to cook on a 'low' heat around 4 hours and was beautiful!
Serve with rice or SW chips or both! If too hot, try adding some fat free yoghurt too cool the heat.

CHILLI PORK STIR-FRY Serves 4

Syn Free

225g bamboo shoots, drained
400g chopped tomatoes
500g extra lean minced pork - I ask my butcher to mince very lean pork loin steaks for this
1 onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 tsp. chilli powder or, to taste
2 tbsp. reduced salt soy sauce

Cook the onion and red pepper until softened.
Add the garlic, chilli powder and mince to the pan and stir-fry until the mince is browned.
Add the bamboo shoots and tomatoes and stir-fry on a moderate/high heat for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the soy sauce and serve.

This sounds lovely . Can I ask, did you use fresh tomatoes or tinned?

I used tinned but I'm sure fresh would be just as good, if not better! Suppose you could always add some stock or water if it is a little too dry. Let me know, if you try it. :)

Kathy

KFC STYLE CHICKEN - Serves 2 (Originally by a lady called Amy Jones).

Syn Free, if using the bread as part HEX's

2 skinless chicken breasts
3 slices of wholemeal bread
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic salt or 1 tsp. salt plus 2 crushed cloves of garlic
3 tbsp. paprika or, to taste
Half a tsp. of ground ginger
1 egg, beaten

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Cut the chicken into strips.
Tear the bread and put into a food processor, along with the spices and some black pepper. Pulse until resembling fine breadcrumbs.
Pour the egg into a dish.
Dip the chicken strips into the egg, then the breadcrumbs, making sure the strips are evenly coated.
Bake for 20 minutes, then turn and bake for a further 15 minutes.

Great served with SW chips and salad or baked beans.

Back