Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Enjoy your break Kathy ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. In sunny Whitby atm, in a lovely guest house so, no cooking!! Hooray!! :) xx

SUNNY?!! luck you, it's p'ing down here, grey and miserable and feels decidedly chilly after all the nice weather recently. Guess I have to go do the ironing, the hoovering and have a good tidy up around the house, until the weather improves. Have fun x

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. In sunny Whitby atm, in a lovely guest house so, no cooking!! Hooray!! :) xx

Lucky you... I've been stuck in traffic going shopping. (Blasted holiday makers) and soaked through whilst walking to the shop from the car...

Holiday makers are a pain.. I live in somerset and the 6 weeks school holiday are a nightmare... X

Ooh no cooking, lucky u Kathy! Indeed rather jealous to hear of ur sunny weather, while it pees down with full force here! Decided to go to cinema as weather was so awful, managed to avoid any naughties of popcorn, sweets etc by having my lovely other half make a nice big sw friendly fry up for brunch : ) Enjoy ur break

Never regret something that once made u smile

made this the other day. is really nice. could add chicken if you like

LENTIL AND POTATO CURRY
(Serves 4)

8oz Split Red Lentils
2 tsp chicken Bovril (or stock cubes) if veggie use veg stock cube
1-lb baby potatoes (skins on)
1 Medium Onion
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon curry powder (strength to taste)
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon grated ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
1 bunch fresh coriander (or dried will do)
Water
Fry Light
Salt and pepper
4 fresh tomatoes

Pour lentils into a saucepan and cover with water 1 inch higher than lentils, add chicken Bovril or stock cubes and bring to the boil. Cook until soft (10-15 minutes). Add tomato puree and chopped coriander.

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Cool and put to one side.

Spray fry light in a small pan and fry onions, garlic and ginger together until soft. Add curry powder and cook for one minute. Add lemon juice and cook for a further minute.

Add this mixture to the lentils and stir. Cut potatoes into bite size pieces and add to the curry. Bring curry back up to a simmer. Check for seasoning. Cut each tomato into 8 and add to curry one minute before serving.

Ideal for a slow cooker.

made this the other day. is really nice. could add chicken if you like

LENTIL AND POTATO CURRY
(Serves 4)

8oz Split Red Lentils
2 tsp chicken Bovril (or stock cubes) if veggie use veg stock cube
1-lb baby potatoes (skins on)
1 Medium Onion
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon curry powder (strength to taste)
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon grated ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
1 bunch fresh coriander (or dried will do)
Water
Fry Light
Salt and pepper
4 fresh tomatoes

Pour lentils into a saucepan and cover with water 1 inch higher than lentils, add chicken Bovril or stock cubes and bring to the boil. Cook until soft (10-15 minutes).

Ideal for a slow cooker.

Would you still pre-cook the lentils if using a slow cooker? I'm never quite sure how to adapt to slow cooker timing/method. Any suggestions? It sounds yummy. :)

never tried it in slow cooker but would just shove them in without pre-soaking as I have used them before to cook in slow cooker and never soaked them. I would leave it on low for a few hours.

made this the other day. is really nice. could add chicken if you like LENTIL AND POTATO CURRY (Serves 4) 8oz Split Red Lentils 2 tsp chicken Bovril (or stock cubes) if veggie use veg stock cube 1-lb baby potatoes (skins on) 1 Medium Onion 1 tablespoon tomato puree 1 tablespoon curry powder (strength to taste) 3 cloves garlic 1 teaspoon grated ginger Juice of 1 lemon 1 bunch fresh coriander (or dried will do) Water Fry Light Salt and pepper 4 fresh tomatoes Pour lentils into a saucepan and cover with water 1 inch higher than lentils, add chicken Bovril or stock cubes and bring to the boil. Cook until soft (10-15 minutes). Add tomato puree and chopped coriander. Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Cool and put to one side. Spray fry light in a small pan and fry onions, garlic and ginger together until soft. Add curry powder and cook for one minute. Add lemon juice and cook for a further minute. Add this mixture to the lentils and stir. Cut potatoes into bite size pieces and add to the curry. Bring curry back up to a simmer. Check for seasoning. Cut each tomato into 8 and add to curry one minute before serving. Ideal for a slow cooker.

This sounds lovely! I'm gonna make it Saturday lunchtime for Saturday evening ??

Thanks to you all for all the good wishes! Yes, think we were pretty lucky with the weather. Quite bright here in Staffordshire atm but there are some clouds looming so may have to rush out to snatch the washing in later. Washing! Can tell I'm back!!

Funnily enough, Sookie, I was saying to my partner about how annoying holiday makers must be to the locals, trying to get around to do their normal activities! Whitby was crammed to capacity in the little alleyways and, although we loved the quaintness, it must drive the locals crazy, having to walk or drive through the crowds. Suppose tourism is a big boost to the local economy though so .....................

Kathy xx

Here's another lentil curry recipe, minus the spuds!

RED LENTIL CURRY - Serves 2-3

Syn Free

1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. turmeric
Curry powder to taste
150g dried red lentils, rinsed well
Half tsp. chilli powder, or to taste
1 pint vegetable stock

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened.
Add the garlic and spices, along with the lentils and three quarters of the stock.
Bring to the boil and simmer for approx. 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through, adding the rest of the stock, if necessary.
Serve in warm bowls.

We have it with HEX mature Cheddar grated over. This is lovely as it is but great as a basic curry too, one where you can add whatever you like to it. I sometimes add in things like passata, grated courgette, finely chopped red pepper, fresh spinach leaves in the last few minutes of cooking, chickpeas or red kidney beans to add texture, chicken pieces, chorizo (Synned) ..... The list is endless!

Last edited:
BEEF CURRY - Serves 2

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

200g braising steak, cubed and all visible fat removed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. curry powder, or more
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 level tbsp. Patak's mango chutney - 1.5 Syns
1 tbsp. tomato puree

Brown the beef in a non-stick pan. Remove and spray the pan well with Frylight.
Cook the onion until softened. Start in microwave with a little water, if you want to speed up the process.
Add the pepper, garlic and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add a little water, to prevent sticking, if necessary.
Return the beef to the pan and sprinkle in the curry powder, stirring well.
Add the tomatoes, mango chutney and puree. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, or until the beef is tender, adding more water or a little beef stock, if necessary.

Serve with boiled rice and lots of veggies.

Your back, yep the hanging out washing gave it away.. Hope you had a fab time.. Holiday makers lol yep get in our way and can limit us to where we can go during the summer holidays.. Went to Wales in Friday it took us 90mins to travel 18 miles.. Fun not

Cooked the slow cooker chicken and chorizo yesterday and then had the pineapple and yoghurt blooming delicious and shall be doing them both again..

Sian x

never tried it in slow cooker but would just shove them in without pre-soaking as I have used them before to cook in slow cooker and never soaked them. I would leave it on low for a few hours.

I did make it in the slow cooker. Started on high for an hour, then low for just over four hours. Had to top up with boiling water about halfway through cooking time as it had all been absorbed.
It was very tasty and my hubby and daughter enjoyed it too. I think it would have been nice with some spinach stirred in ten mins or so before serving. I'll definitely make it again. :)

I did make it in the slow cooker. Started on high for an hour, then low for just over four hours. Had to top up with boiling water about halfway through cooking time as it had all been absorbed.
It was very tasty and my hubby and daughter enjoyed it too. I think it would have been nice with some spinach stirred in ten mins or so before serving. I'll definitely make it again. :)

glad you enojyed it. great tip about the spinach.

Back