Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

PAPRIKA SPICED HADDOCK - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving

4 fillets of haddock, or other white fish
1 tbsp. rapeseed oil - 6 Syns
150g FF natural yoghurt
2 level tbsp. flour - 7 Syns
1 tsp. paprika

Mix the paprika, flour and half a teaspoon of salt together and tip onto a plate. Place the yoghurt onto another plate.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
Dip each piece of fish into the yoghurt, wiping off any excess with a pastry brush or gently, with a piece of kitchen roll.
Then lay them carefully, on both sides, into the flour mix, shaking off any excess.
Place gently into the hot pan and fry on one side for 2-3 minutes, before turning over and cooking for another 2-3 minutes. The fish should flake easily when properly cooked.

Lovely with new potatoes or roasted new potatoes and a green veg, such as green beans or petit pois.

CREAMY BACON AND MUSHROOM TAGLIATELLE - Serves 4

3.5 Syns per serving, if using the Parmesan as part HEX's

250g bacon, all visible fat removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried rosemary
2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
120g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
14 level tbsp. WW West Country Thick Cream, Reduced Fat - 14 Syns
2 tbsp. tomato puree
4 tbsp. grated Parmesan
160g dried tagliatelle

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
Spray a large non-stick frying pan with Frylight and cook the bacon, onion and rosemary, over a medium heat, until the bacon is golden and the onion has softened. (I use frozen onion.)
Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the cream and tomato puree and allow to cook gently for a few minutes, before adding the Parmesan. Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
Drain the pasta, reserving a few spoonfuls of the cooking water.
Stir the drained pasta into the bacon and tomato sauce, adding the reserved water gradually, until the sauce has reached the desired consistency.

Lovely served with a large, crunchy salad.

This a take on a recipe by Abbe.

CREAMY BACON AND MUSHROOM TAGLIATELLE - Serves 4

3.5 Syns per serving, if using the Parmesan as part HEX's

250g bacon, all visible fat removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried rosemary
120g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
14 level tbsp. WW West Country Thick Cream, Reduced Fat - 14 Syns
2 tbsp. tomato puree
4 tbsp. grated Parmesan
160g dried tagliatelle

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
Spray a large non-stick frying pan with Frylight and cook the bacon, onion and rosemary, over a medium heat, until the bacon is golden and the onion has softened. (I use frozen onion.)
Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the cream and tomato puree and allow to cook gently for a few minutes, before adding the Parmesan. Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
Drain the pasta, reserving a few spoonfuls of the cooking water.
Stir the drained pasta into the bacon and tomato sauce, adding the reserved water gradually, until the sauce has reached the desired consistency.

Lovely served with a large, crunchy salad.

This a take on a recipe by Abbe.

This sounds delicious! Do you think it might work with fat free fromage frais in place of the cream? I do a macaroni cheese recipe that's similar using ffff and an egg whisked in to thicken x

It probably would, I should think, RosiePops, if you use it for your mac cheese. Just thought I'd better stick as closely to the original recipe as possible, in case something other than reduced fat cream didn't work but I don't see why not. If you try doing it with FFFF please let us all know. The less Syns the better! :D

Kathy xx

Couldn't you just erase the word 'stew' from your mind and make it anyway?!! At least the other two appeal! :D Must admit, your posts usually make me giggle, Sookie!! :) Kathy xx

Erasing the word stew won't work. To me even casserole is a posh word for stew x

TEXAS EGGS - Serves 2

Syn Free, if using the Feta as HEX's

6 medium-large tomatoes or a large punnet of cherry tomatoes
1 red pepper
1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
3 cloves of garlic, left in their papery skin
Pinch of chilli powder, to taste
1 lemon
4 eggs
90g Feta cheese (90g= 2x HEX's)
Handful of fresh basil leaves

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 4.
Place a non-stick frying pan over quite a high heat. Add the tomatoes, red pepper, onion and garlic cloves. Dry-fry for 10-15 minutes, turning the veg a few times, until it is a little blackened all over.
Press the garlic with the side of a knife to flatten. Pull off the papery skin.
Put the garlic flesh, tomatoes and onion into a blender and whizz until pureed.
On a chopping board, roughly chop the red pepper, leaving the skin on but removing the seeds.
Pour the pureed tomato mixture back into the frying pan. Add the chopped red pepper and a pinch of chilli powder, to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook over a medium heat until thickened and the red pepper is soft. Spray with Frylight, if needed.
Squeeze in a touch of lemon juice, if you think it is needed.
Make a little well for each egg, in the mixture and crack the eggs carefully into the holes.
Place the pan in the oven and cook for 5 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
Add a pinch of pepper over the eggs. Scatter the crumbled Feta and basil leaves over the top.

Serve with crusty HEX bread or toast.

This is a recipe by Abel & Cole.

TEXAS EGGS - Serves 2 Syn Free, if using the Feta as HEX's 6 medium-large tomatoes or a large punnet of cherry tomatoes 1 red pepper 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges 3 cloves of garlic, left in their papery skin Pinch of chilli powder, to taste 1 lemon 4 eggs 90g Feta cheese (90g= 2x HEX's) Handful of fresh basil leaves Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 4. Place a non-stick frying pan over quite a high heat. Add the tomatoes, red pepper, onion and garlic cloves. Dry-fry for 10-15 minutes, turning the veg a few times, until it is a little blackened all over. Press the garlic with the side of a knife to flatten. Pull off the papery skin. Put the garlic flesh, tomatoes and onion into a blender and whizz until pureed. On a chopping board, roughly chop the red pepper, leaving the skin on but removing the seeds. Pour the pureed tomato mixture back into the frying pan. Add the chopped red pepper and a pinch of chilli powder, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat until thickened and the red pepper is soft. Spray with Frylight, if needed. Squeeze in a touch of lemon juice, if you think it is needed. Make a little well for each egg, in the mixture and crack the eggs carefully into the holes. Place the pan in the oven and cook for 5 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Add a pinch of pepper over the eggs. Scatter the crumbled Feta and basil leaves over the top. Serve with crusty HEX bread or toast. This is a recipe by Abel & Cole.

That sound blooming lovely xx

SMOTHERED MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN - Serves 2

Syn Free, if using reduced fat Mozarella as part HEX's (65g reduced fat Mozarella = 1 x HEX)

Half an onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
One and a half peppers, deseeded and finely chopped (any colour or a variety)
Half tsp. dried rosemary
2 skinless chicken breasts
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato puree
Half tsp. dried oregano
Half tsp. thyme
60g reduced fat Mozarella, sliced

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Spray a non-stick pan well with Frylight and gently fry the onions, garlic, peppers and the half tsp. rosemary for 5 minutes or until the onions and peppers begin to soften.
Put into a baking dish and spread out evenly.
Return the pan to the heat and add the chicken. Brown on both sides. Place the chicken on top of the peppers and onions in the dish.
Return the pan to the heat and add the chopped tomatoes, puree, herbs and some seasoning. Cook until gently simmering.
Pour the tomatoes over the chicken and veg.
Place the sliced Mozarella on top of each piece of tomato covered chicken.
Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely with rice but I had mine with a jacket and some broccoli. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven! :) You can add a pinch of sweetener to the tomatoes, if you like but I found I didn't need any.

This is another recipe from Abbe.

SMOTHERED MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN - Serves 2

Syn Free, if using reduced fat Mozarella as part HEX's (65g reduced fat Mozarella = 1 x HEX)

Half an onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
One and a half peppers, deseeded and finely chopped (any colour or a variety)
Half tsp. dried rosemary
2 skinless chicken breasts
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato puree
Half tsp. dried oregano
Half tsp. thyme
60g reduced fat Mozarella, sliced

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Spray a non-stick pan well with Frylight and gently fry the onions, garlic, peppers and the half tsp. rosemary for 5 minutes or until the onions and peppers begin to soften.
Put into a baking dish and spread out evenly.
Return the pan to the heat and add the chicken. Brown on both sides. Place the chicken on top of the peppers and onions in the dish.
Return the pan to the heat and add the chopped tomatoes, puree, herbs and some seasoning. Cook until gently simmering.
Pour the tomatoes over the chicken and veg.
Place the sliced Mozarella on top of each piece of tomato covered chicken.
Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely with rice but I had mine with a jacket and some broccoli. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven! :) You can add a pinch of sweetener to the tomatoes, if you like but I found I didn't need any.

This is another recipe from Abbe.

My tummy actually growled when i read this!! Definitely in my to-do file!
Thanks again for the fab recipes and continued dedication Kathy!!

MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE - Serves 4

Syn Free

500g extra lean minced beef - I've started asking my butcher if he could mince me some of his extra lean stewing steak and it tastes so much better than supermarket mince and it's working out cheaper!
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 egg, whisked with a fork

For the sauce -

8 large vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
1 large red onion, finely chopped
Two handfuls of mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. dried oregano
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
200ml beef stock

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Mix the mince, diced onion and egg together with some salt and pepper.
Roll into meatballs and place on a baking tray. Cover with cling film and put into the fridge.
Spray a large, ovenproof pan or dish well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Put the tomatoes, onion, garlic and mushrooms in with a pinch of salt. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have shrunk slightly.
When the mushrooms have shrunk down a little, put the meatballs into the oven.
Add the oregano and Worcestershire sauce to the tomato mixture. Stir well and continue to cook gently, until the meatballs are cooked through - about 15-20 minutes. Turn the meatballs during the cooking time.
Remove the meatballs from the oven, when completely cooked through and add to the tomato mixture.
Put the lid on the ovenproof pan/dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Serve with lots of pasta.

When I make this I add a glug of balsamic vinegar along with the Worcestershire sauce and, If I have any fresh basil in, I add a few leaves to it before putting it in the oven. This is fantastic served with HEX cheese grated over it! :)

Making this for tea tonight, thanks for the recipe again Kathy :)
I tried to rep you but it's saying I have already repped you and need to spread it around a little again :( x

Last edited:
Making this for tea tonight, thanks for the recipe again Kathy :)
I tried to rep you but it's saying I have already repped you and need to spread it around a little again :( x

Thank-you so much, Tink! That's really kind of you. Hope you enjoyed the meatballs. :)

Kathy xx

BACON AND CAULIFLOWER CHEESE -Serves 4

Syn Free, if using the cheese as HEX's

1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
500g tub of Quark
4 eggs
160g reduced-fat, extra mature Cheddar
8-10 rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed and cut into strips

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Steam or boil the cauliflower florets, drain well and put into a large, ovenproof bowl.
Beat the Quark, eggs and 110g of the cheese, with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix until smooth. Pour over the cauliflower.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese, evenly, over the top and place strips of bacon over the top of this, making sure they don't overlap too much.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the bacon is cooked through.

I add a little paprika in with the Quark mixture and, when I want a bit more crunch to the bacon, I cook it under the grill and place it on top of the plated up food.

Lovely, either as a side dish or served with crusty HEX bread, for a tasty lunch/tea.

This was based on a SW recipe and then adapted by Amy Jones.

SALMON WITH CHEESY POTATOES - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, if using the cheese as HEX's and the bread as part HEX's

500g baby new potatoes, halved
500g tub of Quark
160g reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
400g broccoli florets
240g skinless salmon fillets, cut into chunks
30g breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. olive oil

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Cook the potatoes until tender. Drain.
Boil the broccoli florets for 5 minutes, drain well.
Arrange the salmon, potatoes and broccoli evenly in a shallow ovenproof dish.
Mix the Quark with most of the grated cheese and spoon evenly over the salmon mix.
Mix the blitzed breadcrumbs, remaining cheese and the oil together and spoon evenly over the mixture.
Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20-25 minutes.

I sometimes sprinkle a small amount of garlic granules into the Quark mixture. I don't put too much in because of the delicate taste of the salmon.
Suppose if you wanted it Syn Free, you could try leaving out the oil in the breadcrumb topping. Maybe you could add some crispy bacon pieces to it too! :)

This is based on a Morrison's recipe, with a few tweaks made.

Last edited:
Back